Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
January 16/17 light icing and mix

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow is starting to get a little wetter on the ground...i pushed it around just now and its becoming better for snowballs despite no new snow since round 1...temp is nearly to 31F now.

The 3z HRRR actually warmed above 0c before the second batch barely before cooling back down again. I'm going to check out the latest run

Still snowing lightly and 23.2. This batch produced about .7" in an hour of moderate snow...a bit underwhelming. It wasn't great snow in terms of fluff, but fortunate it wasn't sleet.

I see another small moderate batch just west about to move in.

1.6" total here from everything so far. Batch #1 was a better hit for SNE.

Temp continues to rise...now 30.5F...round 2 might be a wetter snow. Round 1 was pure powder.

I wouldn't use intellicast to look for ptype...mesoanalysis shows the column supporting snow still even southwest of HFD...it might be showing some rain because sfc temps have warmed to 33-34F, but don't let that fool you. BAF is reporting light snow under junky echoes. They will easily be snow in the springfield area when that heavier stuff moves over...but there is probably some aggregation going on to enhance the look on the echoes.

I'm about 175 miles west of northeastern MA (in terms of latitude) and I'm still snow......

And there has to be some form of mixing whether its parachutes bright banding or sleet because I've never seen 45dbz snow. However, it seems to be smoothing out as it projects east, a good sign for those who want to see some more snow.

I wouldn't use intellicast to look for ptype...mesoanalysis shows the column supporting snow still even southwest of HFD...it might be showing some rain because sfc temps have warmed to 33-34F, but don't let that fool you. BAF is reporting light snow under junky echoes. They will easily be snow in the springfield area when that heavier stuff moves over...but there is probably some aggregation going on to enhance the look on the echoes.

I was just passively mentioning what it was showing. Nothing too serious.

What do you think is triggering that little band floating up and down over the eastern mass coast?

CF pushed clear through past ORH now and knocking on FIT's door

No, the mesonet map is wrong right now. It often has an error frame or two...but there isn't really a defined CF this far inland...FIT is 34F and ORH is 31F. Rutland mesonet site just to my NW is 28F.

Archived