Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
10 Days In Hell...........Fire shall rain down upon thee

Mr Torchey

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back on the Euro progs before this torch, looks like we under performed by about an average of 3-5 degrees. Still a warm period of sure, but nothing like what was touted back then. No 60F days at any of the major SNE climo stations were recorded (supposed to be a lock)...BOS/ORH/BDL only produced 1 high over 50F. PVD produced 2.

Jerry's original call of a "dirty" torch looks the most accurate...the night time low dpeartures during this period out did the day time highs by about 5 degrees looking at BOS/ORH really quickly.

Since 2005, there have been 3 Januarys with more impressive 5 days stretches than this...and '06 and '07 had multiple 5 days stretches warmer than this current 5 day stretch. So in short, this is a pretty mundane January warm spell when comparing it with historical warm spells. I didn't even go into other winter months, only January.

The impressive part of the warmth this winter is its longevity back to December...not this current streak which doesn't measure up to even the top 50% of 5 day January warm stretches in the past 15 years or so going back to 1998.

Will.. I think I had 3 days over 50 this week and one that almost touched 60. That's more than a dirty torch IMBY.

From what I heard the euro products were mainly showing +8 or +10 for week periods...which I don't think will be terribly far off, but who knows? Depends on where..I think here it's easily been +8

After 5 long months of absolute hell and torture, I believe the torch and misery are coming to an end. However, this beast of heat will not go down quietly and will give us one more 6-10 day stretch of spring which should begin around the 23rd of the month.

Discuss this period in time here, and obs when appropriate.

I think Feb will average around -2.5 in sne with plenty of snow.

Looking back 15 days ago when I posted this, I like where we are headed, sure the torch was not epic, but we have also gotten used to +10++ days as a norm this winter. This 6-10 day period of warmth after last weeks snow and relative chill is certainly verifying, and I love how Feb looks. My only question is, is this upcoming change another island in a sea of warmth or is this the rubber band snapping, is this the pattern change is this the death of the 5 month debacle, I think it might be.

Think snow!

Hey Joe I had to work down in NYC yesterday and it was quite torchorous. ;) 60F...and felt like a sub tropical airmass with the waves of torrential showers moving through. Crazy after I left this place encased in ice three hours earlier.

The torch period has been about as I figured. Nothing crazy here like 50+., but hit 45 and 43 during two of the torchier days, only 39 Friday, but lost all the ice, etc. One more 40+ around Wednesday I guess before relief arrives.

Looking back 15 days ago when I posted this, I like where we are headed, sure the torch was not epic, but we have also gotten used to +10++ days as a norm this winter. This 6-10 day period of warmth after last weeks snow and relative chill is certainly verifying, and I love how Feb looks. My only question is, is this upcoming change another island in a sea of warmth or is this the rubber band snapping, is this the pattern change is this the death of the 5 month debacle, I think it might be.

Think snow!

Will.. I think I had 3 days over 50 this week and one that almost touched 60. That's more than a dirty torch IMBY.

From what I heard the euro products were mainly showing +8 or +10 for week periods...which I don't think will be terribly far off, but who knows? Depends on where..I think here it's easily been +8

It might have verified better in YBY...but you don't have climo stats for me to go off of...so I can only go off of the major SNE climo sites and compare them to the past. That's where I got my numbers from.

It's not so bad here today. Broken ovc and 35 is the high so far.... I just took the nephews and niece sledding on the north facing hill out back. Yes we descended to the 970 foot level. :shiver: That 3 inches of hard icy stuff was very fast... Flexible flyer runner sled did very well on it also.

Today will probably be a +7 or so for ORH

Day 7 of the latest edition of Sizzleicious :axe:

It's not so bad here today. Broken ovc and 35 is the high so far.... I just took the nephews and niece sledding on the north facing hill out back. Yes we descended to the 970 foot level. :shiver: That 3 inches of hard icy stuff was very fast... Flexible flyer runner sled did very well on it also.

Lol... sledding was done here after last weekend... at least temporarily. Skiing last night was not so good

I hate the warmth and esp. the warmth with high precip. Killing us.

Hopefully the threats for next weekend hold up

I love the Flexible Flyers with runners. Neat article on them last month:

http://www.boston.com/sports/outdoors/articles/2011/12/25/flexible_flyer_king_of_sleds_slides_on/

539w.jpg

Nice pic ...I was using one I got for Xmas in 1976. LOL ..purchased at the now defunct chain store Caldor as I recall. Had to sand off the rusty runners ....

Obviously very poor snow/ice for anything, but going fast down the hill on a sled.

Lol... sledding was done here after last weekend... at least temporarily. Skiing last night was not so good

I hate the warmth and esp. the warmth with high precip. Killing us.

Hopefully the threats for next weekend hold up

I love the Flexible Flyers with runners. Neat article on them last month:

http://www.boston.co...leds_slides_on/

539w.jpg

bos+10

bdl+9

pvd+7

orh+10

day 7, not a biggie just more of the same..........later tues, wed and thur will be fugly, the torch rolls on, lets hope it dies friday.

Bring on spring. Let's have some sun and 60s. It's not going to snow, at least down here. Our winters are short and the fat lady is warming up as we head into the final and shortest month of the season.

Scooter do you think Feb comes in above normal? Or can we finally break this string of warm months dating all the way back to last June?

My guess is Feb will be above normal. If I'm wrong, it's because the big ridge out west holds, and the cold dumps into the region. But I think we may warm up later in the second half of the month. However, if Feb is not well above normal, it can still be a good snow month.

I think it's possible that one of the Spring months will be below normal, but again..just a guess based on a few things.

Tomorrow should feature a very impressive temperature gradient, the immediate south coast should warm into the low 50s while just to the north remain in 30s and 40s with some light snows . On Wed with west winds the south coast will torch, temps will climb into the mid and upper 50s with possible low 60s in favored areas, while low to mid 50s should surge into the rest of ct ri and massachusetts outside of the elevated interior.

Mostly sunny skies..............and we are off to the races with mega death temps surging northeast, plenty of records over the heartland with this airmass, bdr should break the record temp for the day, expecting mid to upper 50s for the south coast today and low 60s tomorrow.

INTERPLANETARY MEGA DEATH TORCH ADVISORIES

another ridiculous night for cold lovers across sne.

Got down to 5F before the clouds and snow came in during the early morning hours. 18F with light snow currently.

Forecast is for low 40s for highs tomorrow which will be as warm as we've been in a while. Have yet to reach 40 this month--though we came close on the 24th with a high of 39...

Thats downright brutal, low 40s, snow on the ground, mud, melting.........there is no mud down here, thankfully so each one of these torches allows me to get out and do whatever I want, despite what the boston centric mud mongers might say........

WHat a day, what a day, doing a couple spring clean ups today, ciao!

Thats downright brutal, low 40s, snow on the ground, mud, melting.........there is no mud down here, thankfully so each one of these torches allows me to get out and do whatever I want, despite what the boston centric mud mongers might say........

You are nuts.

You are nuts.

Mid 50s to near 60 with sun, what should i do the next two days, complain about how sucktastic this winter was? lol, get out and enjoy it scooter...........big game this weekend, call tippy for a little game of ultimate frisbee.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mid 50s to near 60 with sun, what should i do the next two days, complain about how sucktastic this winter was? lol, get out and enjoy it scooter...........big game this weekend, call tippy for a little game of ultimate frisbee.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

No, I mean Spring cleanups before Feb. Storms alone will bring down more branches for another 6 weeks.

There won't be any mud tomorrow, that I can promise. A few hours in the 40s won't put much of a dent on the snowpack and ice that we have in place. The dirt roads are frozen solid and covered with a packed several inches of ice/snow.

I have a frost depth gauge at the house and it's showing 12" of frozen ground currently. Again, there will be little to no melting away from warm, paved roads.

The snowpack, while not particularly deep here (8-10" otg) is pretty dense and bullet proof.

Archived