• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Israel Weather

You'll most likely get more than NYC has gotten all winter, lol. How much rain has already fallen?

So far, Jerusalem has just received tons of rain with sleet mixed in off and on, especially yesterday and yesterday night. This is the most rain I have seen from a storm while living here.

The snow is expected to come mainly tomorrow. My main concern is not the temps, as all models are forecasting enough cold now, but the precipitation. The latest GFS run showed a bit less precip than the previous one, that result in maybe 1-2 inches of snow. However, most of the Israeli forecasters here are forecasting 5-8 cm which translates into 2-3 inches. Enough to probably put this city into some havoc, simply because Israeli's supposedly don't know what to do with themselves when snow hits the roads. We'll see if it pans out. I am trying to not expect much cause I'd prefer to be surprised than disappointed. I'll do my best to take some pics if the white stuff falls!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, looks like it wont stick because the boundary layer is warmish...it will be above freezing across most of Jerusalem. Maybe Friday morning will be the best chance to see pure snow and not a mix.

I actually do think the models inaccurately predict surface layers here in Jerusalem for the reasons Jconsor mentioned in his post above. I also think this because unless it really is just all hype, most of the forecasters here are saying there will be accumulation and I trust their experience and expertise more than what the models are spitting out. But we'll see, I would not be too surprised if nothing sticks.

So things actually look pretty done here. That second wave really didn't produce much and the sun is coming out yet again, warming the surface here too much for anything to stick if something does fall later.

It was a great early morning watching it snow quite heavy, and I'll post some pics and videos soon of that. I have some great shots of snow falling across the whole city from the top of my apartment roof.

But it was very short-lived overall, and I think yet again, the Israeli forecasters hyped this way more than they should have. The GFS and the Euro too I think consistently showed the precip dwindling after each updated model run before today. The precip on each model run looked very spotty too. But for some reason, the forecasters here predicted there would be a prolonged snow fall starting at 6 am till the night with 2-3 inch accumulations. That definitely did not come close to happening here in Jerusalem. There was indeed good initial accumulation in the morning, but after the snow ended, it quickly melted.

So lessons learned (some yet again):

-Snow here is very hyped by everyone, including most of the forecasters.

-It is challenging to get a good consistent snowfall in Jerusalem, but simply fantastic and magical when it does occur, for however long.

-Elevation helps a lot - supposedly places 800 m above sea level received around a foot of snow from Wed and Thurs. Jerusalem is 755 m above sea level.

Pics and vids to come soon!

So things actually look pretty done here. That second wave really didn't produce much and the sun is coming out yet again, warming the surface here too much for anything to stick if something does fall later.

It was a great early morning watching it snow quite heavy, and I'll post some pics and videos soon of that. I have some great shots of snow falling across the whole city from the top of my apartment roof.

But it was very short-lived overall, and I think yet again, the Israeli forecasters hyped this way more than they should have. The GFS and the Euro too I think consistently showed the precip dwindling after each updated model run before today. The precip on each model run looked very spotty too. But for some reason, the forecasters here predicted there would be a prolonged snow fall starting at 6 am till the night with 2-3 inch accumulations. That definitely did not come close to happening here in Jerusalem. There was indeed good initial accumulation in the morning, but after the snow ended, it quickly melted.

So lessons learned (some yet again):

-Snow here is very hyped by everyone, including most of the forecasters.

-It is challenging to get a good consistent snowfall in Jerusalem, but simply fantastic and magical when it does occur, for however long.

-Elevation helps a lot - supposedly places 800 m above sea level received around a foot of snow from Wed and Thurs. Jerusalem is 755 m above sea level.

Pics and vids to come soon!

Any pics?

I live in central Jerusalem, but my wife and I decided to head to her aunt and uncle's house in Efrat on Thu night before the snow began. Efrat is a suburban area located in Gush Etzion, about 10 miles SSW of Jerusalem, and nearly all of the town is above 900 m (2950 ft) elevation. The part of Efrat where we were is about 940 m (3080 ft). Most of Jerusalem is around 750-825 m (2450-2700 ft).

We were rewarded with periods of moderate to heavy snow between around 4 AM and noon on Fri. I didn't have a ruler, but estimate that about 5" of snow fell (in contrast to 1-2" in most of Jerusalem). Unlike Jerusalem, the sun didn't come out in the morning in between bursts of snow, although the clouds did thin a bit in the late morning.

The snow ended for a while on Fri afternoon. Rain occasionally mixed with snow continued in the late afternoon and evening, With a gradual warmup and more rain on Saturday, the snow on the ground in Efrat was gone by Saturday afternoon, save for a few piles and remnants of snowmen.

Here are my pics, including two snowmen that we made:

https://picasaweb.go...CJvFmNfooKeB_AE

More pics of snow in and around Jerusalem:

http://www.washingto...nR_gallery.html

http://translate.goo...97804%2C00.html

News reports said that around 8" of snow fell in Hebron and Kiryat Arba (around 950-1000 m elevation), about 20 miles SW of Jerusalem. About 12" fell on Mount Meron (around 1200 m elevation) and 6" fell in Tsfat (around 800 m elevation) in northern Israel. Around 16" fell in the highest elevations of the northern Golan Heights (around 1150 m elevation).

Great pics. You guys got more than NYC this year

I live in central Jerusalem, but my wife and I decided to head to her aunt and uncle's house in Efrat on Thu night before the snow began. Efrat is a suburban area located in Gush Etzion, about 10 miles SSW of Jerusalem, and nearly all of the town is above 900 m (2950 ft) elevation. The part of Efrat where we were is about 940 m (3080 ft). Most of Jerusalem is around 750-825 m (2450-2700 ft).

We were rewarded with periods of moderate to heavy snow between around 4 AM and noon on Fri. I didn't have a ruler, but estimate that about 5" of snow fell (in contrast to 1-2" in most of Jerusalem). Unlike Jerusalem, the sun didn't come out in the morning in between bursts of snow, although the clouds did thin a bit in the late morning.

The snow ended for a while on Fri afternoon. Rain occasionally mixed with snow continued in the late afternoon and evening, With a gradual warmup and more rain on Saturday, the snow on the ground in Efrat was gone by Saturday afternoon, save for a few piles and remnants of snowmen.

Here are my pics, including two snowmen that we made:

https://picasaweb.go...CJvFmNfooKeB_AE

More pics of snow in and around Jerusalem:

http://www.washingto...nR_gallery.html

http://translate.goo...97804%2C00.html

News reports said that around 8" of snow fell in Hebron and Kiryat Arba (around 950-1000 m elevation), about 20 miles SW of Jerusalem. About 12" fell on Mount Meron (around 1200 m elevation) and 6" fell in Tsfat (around 800 m elevation) in northern Israel. Around 16" fell in the highest elevations of the northern Golan Heights (around 1150 m elevation).

Archived