Newest Member
    sambakken
January 12-14 Potential storm

dilly84

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Secondary fun

I take it the Ukie shows good snows here again?

I always think of dryslot as something during a storm. For us it would really be more of a break in the action (if it pans as shown). We get clipped by rain from the first L, then the secondary L is the wintry one. It will be snowing in WI a long time before it makes it to Detroit, but at the same time, it will be snowing in Detroit for a while once it gets here (not as heavily as WI though). We probably wont see the last flake til Saturday.

I always think of dryslot as something during a storm. For us it would really be more of a break in the action (if it pans as shown). We get clipped by rain from the first L, then the secondary L is the wintry one. It will be snowing in WI a long time before it makes it to Detroit, but at the same time, it will be snowing in Detroit for a while once it gets here (not as heavily as WI though). We probably wont see the last flake til Saturday.

See my post about a page back and add another tenth of an inch for the last frame I excluded

The secondary helps our friends in Canada. Did not see the newest Ukie. We sniff some dry air on this one.

UKMET:

120111041417.gif

120111041517.gif

120111041555.gif

With the track of the 500 low and such that surface low track is alot more plausible then what the other two ( NAM/GFS ) are showing. Look at the 500 maps of Jan 78 and then the track of the surface low. Oh and NO this will not become a Jan 78. Keep dreaming. Nice thought though.. Ofcourse with that i do believe the track of the surface low may have even been a little further east ( or started further east as it passed close to Cleveland before going to Huron ) then what the UK/Euro shows.

Not saying the UK/EURO track will be right or the GFS/NAM wrong. Just saying the UK/EURO makes better sense given past experience. Unfortunately there is not much else to go on as these type of systems seem to be rare. Ofcourse the 500 low etc could shift some as well still.

See what the euro shows.

With the track of the 500 low and such that surface low track is alot more plausible then what the other two ( NAM/GFS ) are showing. Look at the 500 maps of Jan 78 and then the track of the surface low. Oh and NO this will not become a Jan 78. Keep dreaming. Nice thought though.. Ofcourse with that i do believe the track of the surface low may have even been a little further east ( or started further east as it passed close to Cleveland before going to Huron ) then what the UK/Euro shows.

Not saying the UK/EURO track will be right or the GFS/NAM wrong. Just saying the UK/EURO makes better sense given past experience. Unfortunately there is not much else to go on as these type of systems seem to be rare. Ofcourse the 500 low etc could shift some as well still.

See what the euro shows.

I just can't believe how much inconsistency there's been here. 18z suite was terrible here, than the 0z NAM/GFS went south and gave me about 2-5", while the GGEM is awful here. Hopefully the ECM gives a clue

Was just going to post that. I'll add an inch to the range though and go 2-4" since there aren't any temperature issues, ratios look decent and trends are not unfavorable. :guitar:

Good, I like the agreement. I was going to throw the 4 in there, but thought...let's not get too crazy yet. ;)

I just can't believe how much inconsistency there's been here. 18z suite was terrible here, than the 0z NAM/GFS went south and gave me about 2-5", while the GGEM is awful here. Hopefully the ECM gives a clue

Well at THIS MOMENT the one thing they all ( GGEM/NAM/GFS ) do seem to agree on is with the 500 low and it's track. Atleast till it reaches Ohio. All of them have it passing over near the same spot as it crosses Indiana.

More of a matter of surface features.

NAM has a window late Thursday where the DGZ is about 300 mb deep around here.

Kinda related, but I really know nothing regarding possible flake fracture due to wind. Is there a general criteria/range as to what speeds (how high) start having an effect on flakes?

BTW, you got the measurements for this one. I'll be out of town.

Kinda related, but I really know nothing regarding possible flake fracture due to wind. Is there a general criteria/range as to what speeds (how high) start having an effect on flakes?

BTW, you got the measurements for this one. I'll be out of town.

ahh 50-60kt 700 mb winds will rip things apart with no prob. doubt full this will be the case here though. I could be wrong. A case study needs to be done to determine exactly the prime conditions for shattering dentrites in mid flight

EDIT..I might be failing here on the height

Archived