Newest Member
    g0ldl10n
January 12-14 Potential storm

dilly84

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SnowFall-1.png

12z GFS could be overdoing it here... but it shows potential of a widespread light to moderate accumulation of snow for Thursday night into Friday morning...

I doubt we see more than 1" in NW Ohio. Looking at the temps it looks like mid to upper 30s before dropping below freezing with .1 QPF max during that timeframe

I'm going to go out in left field and say GRB = jackpot zone.

I think EC Wisconsin into N Lower Michigan will be the jackpot zone myself. MKE will probably be just south, and Chicago well south but will still receive 2-4 inches or so. Still the Euro could well be closer to reality, in which case MKE to ORD and points NE into C Lower Michigan could make out like bandits.

I think EC Wisconsin into N Lower Michigan will be the jackpot zone myself. MKE will probably be just south, and Chicago well south but will still receive 2-4 inches or so. Still the Euro could well be closer to reality, in which case MKE to ORD and points NE into C Lower Michigan could make out like bandits.

GL to you. NAM QPF always seems to be unreasonably bullish, but even still, that looks like 10" easy, especially on your side of the lake.

GL to you. NAM QPF always seems to be unreasonably bullish, but even still, that looks like 10" easy, especially on your side of the lake.

Pretty tough forecast (as winter storms almost always are), before too long here the northern vort will be leavign the Canadian Rockies and begin to dig into the plains...I expect the somewhat erratic handling of this feature to start to level off. The 0z and 12z runs have made it pretty clear that rather small differences in the handling of this feature will manifest into some pretty large changes in how the two interact down the road. If we're lucky maybe we can get a met to chime in about the tendencies of northern vorts like this...ie do they tend to scoot east quicker or dig further southwest.

Any thoughts on what we may get?

I'm thinking a good 2-4"

From tomorrow night through Friday, I'd be surprised if we clocked more than an inch. Even the colder NAM keeps us above freezing (albeit slightly) tomorrow night. Then, after that, we're in a col between the departing southern wave and the deepening northern wave over MI. Very little juice being printed out by the models and rightly so as there's nothing to focus and pcpn development. Maybe we get a burst early Friday morning with the arctic fropa? But that's about it.

How do you figure 2-4"?

LOT

GUIDANCE HAS ALSO CONTINUED TO FAVOR A DEFORMATION ZONE SETTING UP

JUST BEHIND THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY BTWN 14-21Z. THIS APPEARS TO BE THE

FOCAL POINT FOR SNOWFALL. GUIDANCE PLUMES HAVE SHOWN A PACKING OF

MEMBERS WITH RESPECT TO SNOWFALL...WHICH SUGGESTS A HIGH CONFIDENCE

IN THE TOTAL SNOWFALL. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WOULD OCCUR WITHIN THE

AFOREMENTIONED TIME...WITH ARND 1 TO 3 INCHES SOUTH OF I-80. TO THE

NORTH OF THIS LINE TOTALS WILL BE ARND 2 TO 5 INCHES...THE HIGHEST

FOCUSED ACROSS FAR NORTHEAST IL.

WITH THE MAIN STORY BEING THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING

SNOWFALL...FEEL THE GREATER CONCERN WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR SQUALL

LIKE SNOWFALL AND THE BURST NATURE THURSDAY. THIS COULD EASILY

RESULT IN VISIBILITIES AS LOW AS ZERO AT TIMES. WHILE THIS IS NOT

EXPECTED TO BE A LONG LIVED BURST...THEY WILL POSE SIGNIFICANT

IMPACTS TO THE MORNING COMMUTE AS WELL AS THE AFTN COMMUTE. IN

ADDITION WIND CHILL VALUES BY THE AFTN WILL HOVER ARND 0 TO 5 ABOVE.

This is a very tricky event to forecast. There are still some issues to be resolved, especially how models handle the northern vort max energy. I'll wait until the 00z models tonight and 12z runs tomorrow before I make a definite forecast for the Toronto area. As of right now, my best guess for Thursday morning is for a mix of rain/snow by Lake Ontario, a coating to an inch or so north of highway 401 and 2"+ north of highway 7/points east. The best bet for a general snow will be Friday morning with the Arctic front passage. Maybe an inch or so.

it was a great run, I'm just hoping it's a step towards consensus and not just another wobble back and forth. We have plenty of room to trend in one direction...naso much the other.

I still think there is a shot this trends a bit more south, but same chance the other way. Frankly, I'm perfectly fine where we sit right now and 3-5" is fine with me.

NAM difference with the location of the ULL from the 12z run to the 18z run.

c85f0ac0e421a85bf7ebb1b55ce7771b.gif

LOT

GUIDANCE HAS ALSO CONTINUED TO FAVOR A DEFORMATION ZONE SETTING UP

JUST BEHIND THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY BTWN 14-21Z. THIS APPEARS TO BE THE

FOCAL POINT FOR SNOWFALL. GUIDANCE PLUMES HAVE SHOWN A PACKING OF

MEMBERS WITH RESPECT TO SNOWFALL...WHICH SUGGESTS A HIGH CONFIDENCE

IN THE TOTAL SNOWFALL. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WOULD OCCUR WITHIN THE

AFOREMENTIONED TIME...WITH ARND 1 TO 3 INCHES SOUTH OF I-80. TO THE

NORTH OF THIS LINE TOTALS WILL BE ARND 2 TO 5 INCHES...THE HIGHEST

FOCUSED ACROSS FAR NORTHEAST IL.

WITH THE MAIN STORY BEING THE POTENTIAL FOR ACCUMULATING

SNOWFALL...FEEL THE GREATER CONCERN WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR SQUALL

LIKE SNOWFALL AND THE BURST NATURE THURSDAY. THIS COULD EASILY

RESULT IN VISIBILITIES AS LOW AS ZERO AT TIMES. WHILE THIS IS NOT

EXPECTED TO BE A LONG LIVED BURST...THEY WILL POSE SIGNIFICANT

IMPACTS TO THE MORNING COMMUTE AS WELL AS THE AFTN COMMUTE. IN

ADDITION WIND CHILL VALUES BY THE AFTN WILL HOVER ARND 0 TO 5 ABOVE.

Nice, LOT sounds confident in totals....because it's my style i'll throw out an early 5.5" guess for MBY...that's right, going bullish.

From tomorrow night through Friday, I'd be surprised if we clocked more than an inch. Even the colder NAM keeps us above freezing (albeit slightly) tomorrow night. Then, after that, we're in a col between the departing southern wave and the deepening northern wave over MI. Very little juice being printed out by the models and rightly so as there's nothing to focus and pcpn development. Maybe we get a burst early Friday morning with the arctic fropa? But that's about it.

How do you figure 2-4"?

The 18z Nam showed about 2-4" from both wave.

I do think if we can have enough cold air aloft thanks to the HP across the north we may be able to cool those surface temps to around 0.5 to 1.0C.

Lets see.

0z Runs wil be interesting.

Archived