• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

Still remember the 24th so vividly, being at work reading the NOAA updates, I think they were calling for a light event (snow/sleet). Then watching the radar that nite just build and finally Greg Fishel coming on at the 11:00pm newscast talking about a catostrophic snow storm, stayed up till about 2:00am watching it snow. Even though we got 20"+ I still like the Jan 2002 event better.

I remember going to school that morning and the news was calling for 1-2" with some ice. It was cloudy the whole day and the high never got out of the mid 30's. I remeber it started rainning about the time Greg Fishel had his 6 PM forecast. He straight up said "we are looking at 1 to 2 FEET instead of 1 to 2 inches the way the storm is setting up now." I kinda chuckled because it was rainning.

Then it changed over to snow in Raleigh about 7 PM. At that point, my inner-weenie started to painic. I remember thinking that Rocky Mount was going to get all rain, while about 50 miles to the west, they are getting the snowstorm of a liftime. THAT ISN'T FAIR! We had just had Floyod 3 months ealier, so we had seen our share of rain.

As the night went on, it kept rainning. I was getting more frustrated. I stayed up to watch the 11 PM news. They were showing the snow covering Western Boulevard in front of NC State and were getting reports of snow as close to me as Spring Hope and Castalia. I am thinking, great, I will just have to drive 10 miles in the morning to see the action. Finally, the news finishes and Letterman is about to come on. At that pont, I hear what sounded like BB's. Looked out, and it was the heaviest sleet I had ever seen. 1-2 minutes later, SNOW. In 15 minutes, the ground was covered with over an inch. I stayed up the rest of the night into the morning and experienced near blizzard conditions (Home weather station recorded a 44.5 MPH gust about 4 AM. Average wind speed was around 30). Had to shovel the front proch steps about 3:30 AM so that my family could get out of the house later that morning.

I have videos of the storm that I took with my old camcorder. I need to find those.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true. Used to be the GFS was full of fantasy winter storms, but this year the pattern is bad it can't even generate false alarms. The cold is nowhere near us and the pattern is as bad as it can possibly get to get some cold air in here. Still think a one hit wonder could occur in late Feb or early March if we get a strong amplfied pattern to cutoff something in the South, but so far those have little cold air to work with. The only consolation is that most of the country is snowless (or way below) with us, except the NW and Alaska. I remember some bad winters where it was warm, but all of them had a 2 week pattern atleast where it felt like Winter, so far we don't see that. It would be something to go through all of Feb. as well with no cold air lasting more than a day or 2. If that happens, this will indeed go down as the worst winter ever here. In the back of my mind though one little nugget of hope is the fact that nature works to extremes so she will probably try to balance the pattern later on , and we get into the total opposite of a pattern, but it might happen too late (Mar-Apr).

It would really suck if we got to Feb and GFS started teasing us with those fantasy storms and we still didn't get one......that would be truly rubbing salt in the wound! I keep mentioning 1980 snow storm for NC and that best I can tell it was the only Winter event that year......do you or anyone else know of any other winter's that produced that one hit wonder so late in the season?

Well at this point I will admit i am getting nervous. No real signs of any change or cold and we are a week away from feb. unless we see something positive in the next couple of weeks this winter may end up "winter less" :(

You saw a few flakes this season though, right? So far no flakes in most of NC or SC outside the mountains. No sleet either, which is really unusual, as I see some pellets each winter. I think 2006/2007 was the closest to being completely snowless here with around 10 minutes of flurries in February. The most amazing part of this Winter has been the lack of cold air, and how quickly it moves out. More of the same coming up this weekend, and even with that cold air it looks like much of the South won't even get down to normal cold with it. The sunnier weather will really speed up the Spring blooming process next week with all the moisture in the ground and lengthening daylight.

Back after Irene hit there were a few guys that set up places for people to bring their tree debris and they would take it off their hands for free. These guys cut the trees into firewood and sold it. There was so much firewood laying around that it was piled up higher than the trucks they drove. Makes perfect sense that in a year where firewood was abundant the cold is nowhere to be found.

You saw a few flakes this season though, right? So far no flakes in most of NC or SC outside the mountains. No sleet either, which is really unusual, as I see some pellets each winter. I think 2006/2007 was the closest to being completely snowless here with around 10 minutes of flurries in February. The most amazing part of this Winter has been the lack of cold air, and how quickly it moves out. More of the same coming up this weekend, and even with that cold air it looks like much of the South won't even get down to normal cold with it. The sunnier weather will really speed up the Spring blooming process next week with all the moisture in the ground and lengthening daylight.

My friend unofficially reported 30 seconds of sleet last week. That is the only occurrence of any winter weather outside of the cold shots that I even heard about around here. If that's it I can take comfort in the fact that 60 years from now when a winter produces just one snow I can tell people on whatever board is around, "that's nothing in the winter of 2012 all we got was 30 seconds of sleet".

This place is too funny. People kept saying wait for January, then wait for February. The writing was on the wall in December. This winter was going to suck from the very beginning. It's the way our weather is now. It's all or nothing, one extreme or the other. We'd either have a blockbuster winter with one huge snow, or a few really good snows, or nothing at all. The days of one or two nice snows are gone.

This place is too funny. People kept saying wait for January, then wait for February. The writing was on the wall in December. This winter was going to suck from the very beginning. It's the way our weather is now. It's all or nothing, one extreme or the other.
We'd either have a blockbuster winter with one huge snow, or a few really good snows, or nothing at all. The days of one or two nice snows are gone.

I can't make sense of those last two sentences. Isn't "one or two nice snows" the same thing as "a few really good snows?" Does not compute...

On another note, this winter has been pretty disappointing winter-weather-wise. Who am I kidding? It's been horrible. Yet, I still manage to hold out hope that we'll get lucky before it's all said and done. Like Robert, I have yet to see a single flake or sleet pellet or ice glaze all season long. Boring......

Unlike others of you, I would even welcome extreme cold and dry. Give me a week of 20s for highs and lows in the single digits, and then I'll at least feel like I've experienced winter.

Winter, winter, wherefore art thou winter?

What a crap winter, the worst to date I remember. I'm 30 years old and have lived in Marietta my entire life and this one takes the cake. From what I'm hearing from you NC and SC guys I'm lucky I at least got to see flakes on two separate occasions and a 30 second bout of sleet. So three "minor" events for me. The highlight of my winter was the morning after the clipper a small band of light snow/flurries setup over Cobb County and put on a good show for a couple hours. Nothing stuck, there was just not enough moisture but it was pretty. At least it appears we have a new barometer to measure the worst winter ever against. I think 30 years from now I can tell my kids about the winter of 2011-2012 and how god awful it was. Something tells me this winter will be etched into my mind much like the greats like 1987-1988, 1992-1993, 2009-2010, 2010-2011.

What a crap winter, the worst to date I remember. I'm 30 years old and have lived in Marietta my entire life and this one takes the cake. From what I'm hearing from you NC and SC guys I'm lucky I at least got to see flakes on two separate occasions and a 30 second bout of sleet. So three "minor" events for me. The highlight of my winter was the morning after the clipper a small band of light snow/flurries setup over Cobb County and put on a good show for a couple hours. Nothing stuck, there was just not enough moisture but it was pretty. At least it appears we have a new barometer to measure the worst winter ever against. I think 30 years from now I can tell my kids about the winter of 2011-2012 and how god awful it was. Something tells me this winter will be etched into my mind much like the greats like 1987-1988, 1992-1993, 2009-2010, 2010-2011.

Marietta, I love the new avatar change. Very appropriate. This winter has definitely gone "belly-up!"

Well... I've got 26 years on you and I can tell you I've seen some crappy winters, just a crappy or crappier than this. Yes, they all suck. And trust me, you'll never tell your kids about this winter. These aren't the ones that end up standing out.

I was talking to my mother about this winter a few weeks ago and asked her if she remembered any winters like this one. she said yes but not too often, but she did remember a few warm snowless winters. You're about her age a few years older though.

Marietta, I love the new avatar change. Very appropriate. This winter has definitely gone "belly-up!"

lol, I was not even thinking about it, I just wanted to get anything snow related out of my avatar. But you are correct it is pretty fitting.

Question:

Since My butterfly bushes are still in bloom, should I not prune them back?

They grow quick... Last year I cut down only leaving 1-2' off of the ground.. They are about 6-8' right now.

Will hit hurt them if I take the same approach this year? They really get out of control if I do not..

Any green thumb thoughts...

Thanks..

Oh yeah, This winter can suck it... :)

You Guys wanting some chilly weather, may I suggest a move! lol

WESTERN ARCTIC COAST-

INCLUDING...WAINWRIGHT...ATQASUK...POINT LAY...CAPE LISBURNE

448 AM AKST THU JAN 26 2012

.TODAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 BELOW TO 45

BELOW ZERO. LIGHT WINDS.

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 40 BELOW TO 50

BELOW ZERO. LIGHT WINDS.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH FLURRIES. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS

30 BELOW TO 40 BELOW ZERO. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH FLURRIES. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS

35 BELOW TO 45 BELOW ZERO. WEST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH.

.SATURDAY...PATCHY ICE FOG IN THE MORNING. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH

FLURRIES. HIGHS 25 BELOW TO 30 BELOW ZERO. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND

20 MPH.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 35 BELOW.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 45 BELOW.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 35 BELOW.

.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 35 BELOW.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 40 BELOW.

.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 35 BELOW.

Question:

Since My butterfly bushes are still in bloom, should I not prune them back?

They grow quick... Last year I cut down only leaving 1-2' off of the ground.. They are about 6-8' right now.

Will hit hurt them if I take the same approach this year? They really get out of control if I do not..

Any green thumb thoughts...

Thanks..

Oh yeah, This winter can suck it... :)

Same question from me, mine are still very green and bushy, looking almost as healthy as they did all last Summer. Only the butterflies are missing.

and the humming birds. I saw a honey bee earlier this month. Moths and flies are also still outside. Bizarre January for sure.

I had one that showed itself yesterday trying to find flowers to land on, which there aren't around here. Strange that it just showed up like that but definitely a sign that the insects believe that Spring's arrived. Also the gnats are already attempting to get out of control. You can't stay outside without a few constantly flying around your face. They usually don't arrive so many numbers unless it has been quite warm, let alone so early... :axe:

As some sort of last attempt, I changed both my avatar and signature to see if they can aid in bringing in good mojo. The animation was used as my avatar for 2009-2010, and it was also the one that helped bring one of our good snows on the night before modeling ever showed increased chances for snow. Maybe these two can work some magic for February. :lol:

If I do not trim them back, they will take over.. I have four beside my garage. Two are close to my AC unit outside. A few years back, I had to put a post just to tie the damn things to as to keep them off the AC unit......

Same question from me, mine are still very green and bushy, looking almost as healthy as they did all last Summer. Only the butterflies are missing.

If you don't cut them back they will grow 12 feet tall!! We always cut them back to a foot off the ground and are doing the same this year. I have never been in this situation in 15 years of business, we will see what happens to them

I really thought the JB thread was a bad idea when it was posted...now that we have a month's worth of posts in there I find it quite entertaining, worthy of reading from top to bottom...even if you have been in there before. I am amazed people pay money to this guy especially with some of the talent around here.

I really thought the JB thread was a bad idea when it was posted...now that we have a month's worth of posts in there I find it quite entertaining, worthy of reading from top to bottom...even if you have been in there before. I am amazed people pay money to this guy especially with some of the talent around here.

Why was JB wrong so much this winter? Ancient aliens!

alienssquare.jpg

If anyone in NC is a member of an electric co-op and recieve the Carolina Country magazine, check out the February edition. In the " I Remember" section there is a story about a man who grew up in Watauga County and he was telling his story of the 1960 snow there. He said that food drops were made via helicopters and everyone went to Boone just to see the helicopters. He also said that the residents there felt they didn't need any help. I know someone a few months back mentioned the food drops on here. Just thought it was a cool read especially since that particular year has been brought up alot.

Archived