• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

I mentioned I was looking at getting a tornado shelter and he had this to say...

"Shelters are no laughing matter. They're expensive but the only way you could survive a violent tornado. What we're going to be telling people (kids, tours, etc..) is to have a helmet with you in your safe area/room. A team of doctors reported that 80% of the deaths in AL in April were from head trauma. Sure you'll be injured if you get hit by a violent tornado head on, but you have a much better chance of surviving if your head is fully protected. A motorcycle, football or baseball helmet would be best."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep thinking Winter weather is just around the corner......PROBLEM is....the corner is over the hill, through the fog and the bridge is out!

My buddy just text me to say

Friend : "Mike Sidel is in line behind me at Comcast"

Me: "Nice, Tell him wuz up"

Friend: "I tried, he was smacking gum hardcore"

Me: "Lol, that's Pretty funny"

Both of these made me laugh out loud.

Let us not forget what today is: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20000125/

Still remember the 24th so vividly, being at work reading the NOAA updates, I think they were calling for a light event (snow/sleet). Then watching the radar that nite just build and finally Greg Fishel coming on at the 11:00pm newscast talking about a catostrophic snow storm, stayed up till about 2:00am watching it snow. Even though we got 20"+ I still like the Jan 2002 event better.

Let us not forget what today is: http://www4.ncsu.edu...cases/20000125/

I wish that would have happened when I was older. It was great and all, but I was only eight years old then. :(

I do remember the shock when I woke up and realized there was no school (as we weren't supposed to get enough snow to close school). I was even more shocked when I looked outside. :lmao:

I wish that would have happened when I was older. It was great and all, but I was only eight years old then. :(

I do remember the shock when I woke up and realized there was no school (as we weren't supposed to get enough snow to close school). I was even more shocked when I looked outside. :lmao:

I was 14, still wish I was maybe two years older but I had an awesome time sledding and playing outside. I wish I was old enough to track this system...I just remember waking up :snowwindow: and my mom got ready for work and opened the door to leave and ~2ft of snow was in front of the door. Needless to say she stayed home. One of my fondest memories!

I remember walking to the store, and using the road...but then I took the back way (because it was faster) little did I know the back way through the side of the woods would have TONS of drift and I was up to my waist in snow. That shortcut took me about 4 times as long to get home. :mapsnow:

I am officially done with winter. I'm hoping for warm weather for the remainder of Jan - Feb and a quick warm to hot transition with an early start to the growing season. Hoping for rain, but will brace for extreme dryness as this will probably be most likely. I hope La Nina never returns.

I'm not sure why people are expecting extreme dry...guess it's because La Nina has been so wet so they think El Nino will be dry? I thought El Nino was supposed to be wetter in the summer?

Still remember the 24th so vividly, being at work reading the NOAA updates, I think they were calling for a light event (snow/sleet). Then watching the radar that nite just build and finally Greg Fishel coming on at the 11:00pm newscast talking about a catostrophic snow storm, stayed up till about 2:00am watching it snow. Even though we got 20"+ I still like the Jan 2002 event better.

Why'd you like Jan 2002 better?...just curious

Why'd you like Jan 2002 better?...just curious

The 2002 storm was a two punch system, I remember having 5-6 inches of snow overnight and than another 5-6 inches during the day the next day. It literally snowed for 24 hours, I don't remember another snow storm that did this. To me the 2002 storm was a perfect storm. The 2000 storm was absolutely great due to magnitude and the surprise of it but the 2002 event was also well modeled and we knew it was coming so the anticipation was also great.

Not sure why, but it seems for RDU the snow events always start overnight, I like it seeing it snow during the day, when I am awake and you can see the outside change from green to white. The 2002 storm was the last one I remember watching it snow all day.

Unfortunately we wil probably never see another 20" snow storm in our lifetimes, I would imagine we will have a chance to get another 10" event, maybe every 20 years or so.

I'm not sure why people are expecting extreme dry...guess it's because La Nina has been so wet so they think El Nino will be dry? I thought El Nino was supposed to be wetter in the summer?

This has been a pretty good Nina overall in the rainfall dept, especially for some, but I will be glad when Nino returns....just don't tell Josh I said that :lol:

Well not giving up just yet. I had my biggest snow in march.....March 1-2, 1980. 18 inches of snow, was a huge coastal storm and I checked the NC State Climate Office data base today and best I could tell that was the only winter weather event that year for NC. I'll take one major storm over several flizzards or small events any year.

Well not giving up just yet. I had my biggest snow in march.....March 1-2, 1980. 18 inches of snow, was a huge coastal storm and I checked the NC State Climate Office data base today and best I could tell that was the only winter weather event that year for NC. I'll take one major storm over several flizzards or small events any year.

Ya that all we need is one big storm and i will be happy! A good foot or two of heavy wet snow!

0z gfs...meh! I think I'm done for a little while. I'll start paying attention to things sometime during the 1st week of Feb. Right now I'm tired of seeing the same ol' thing and need a break.

Wish I could just walk away from it.......it's midnight with no system to track, no winter to be found.....why am I up? Guess I'm not master of my domain..... :lmao::jerry:

I have to say. Ive seen some really bad winters in the 90's and a few in the 2000s but this winter takes the cake. All the indicis just keep staying the opposite of what we need. I don't usually give up and I know some are touting March 1960. I doubt will see something like that again anytime soon.

We have a hard enough time getting snow in good patterns. This year I haven't has one storm to track thats made it past 6 days out. Usually you have plenty to track then and they only start to fall apart on the models when they get three or four days out.

How deppressing for a snow lover.

I have to say. Ive seen some really bad winters in the 90's and a few in the 2000s but this winter takes the cake. All the indicis just keep staying the opposite of what we need. I don't usually give up and I know some are touting March 1960. I doubt will see something like that again anytime soon.

We have a hard enough time getting snow in good patterns. This year I haven't has one storm to track thats made it past 6 days out. Usually you have plenty to track then and they only start to fall apart on the models when they get three or four days out.

Very sad, but very true.

Very true. Used to be the GFS was full of fantasy winter storms, but this year the pattern is bad it can't even generate false alarms. The cold is nowhere near us and the pattern is as bad as it can possibly get to get some cold air in here. Still think a one hit wonder could occur in late Feb or early March if we get a strong amplfied pattern to cutoff something in the South, but so far those have little cold air to work with. The only consolation is that most of the country is snowless (or way below) with us, except the NW and Alaska. I remember some bad winters where it was warm, but all of them had a 2 week pattern atleast where it felt like Winter, so far we don't see that. It would be something to go through all of Feb. as well with no cold air lasting more than a day or 2. If that happens, this will indeed go down as the worst winter ever here. In the back of my mind though one little nugget of hope is the fact that nature works to extremes so she will probably try to balance the pattern later on , and we get into the total opposite of a pattern, but it might happen too late (Mar-Apr).

Archived