• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

Yeah, I think without a doubt since I've been on weather forums, this is the most boring Winter I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing. I'm turning into Brick, I think.

The 0Z GFS from last night looked awesome in the longer ranges. It was very nice. But we can't hold that look into the medium range.

Yeah this is the most boring winter I've ever had on the weather boards without a doubt!

I distinctly remember the winters of 05/06 and 06/07 as being much more boring than this one. Those both had very bad droughts and nothing but sunny warm days weeks at a time in the Southeast. Atleast now we are having actual weather events (tornadoes, thunderstorms, CADs, etc). It's coming up short on the snow and ice for sure, but not boring I don't think. Already looking at another severe outbreak possible tomorrow in the SE and another quick hitting event Monday. It could be much , much more boring.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I distinctly remember the winters of 05/06 and 06/07 as being much more boring than this one. Those both had very bad droughts and nothing but sunny warm days weeks at a time in the Southeast. Atleast now we are having actual weather events (tornadoes, thunderstorms, CADs, etc). It's coming up short on the snow and ice for sure, but not boring I don't think. Already looking at another severe outbreak possible tomorrow in the SE and another quick hitting event Monday. It could be much , much more boring.

See, I think you make a very good point here. This winter has been active, especially for a nina year. And if I have to choose, I'll take active over long, sunny periods. But I will say, on the other side of the coin, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm being a weenie here, but the weather in Raleigh has been boring. No severe weather (always high shear and zero cape). No real cold (or short term near misses). No winter threats (or really even any fantasy storms to track). No strong winds (outside the occasional 30 mph gust). No excessive rain (rain max always splits to the east and to the west). No foggy days (other than a few morning fogs that burn off immediately after sunrise). So for me, it's been quite boring imby. But conversely, I can understand why someone would feel differently.

On another note, I, like many others, appreciate your discussions on the modeling and the patterns. Thanks for taking the time to share your insight.

On still another note, it doesn't seem like you get a lot of sleep! :o

From a winter weather perspective it's the most boring winter in most of our lifetimes. But you are right, it hasn't been a very boring winter for other types of weather.

Since it's slow and were all holding our breath for a pattern change, figured this would be a good time for a quick reminder about climo for the SE. I'm in the camp Feb(espeacilly early Feb) will reward our patience. IMO for MBY after seeing the NAO forecastd to tank from 1/29-2/5, (most notably by the GFS) and knowing the depth of the pool of cold air that has been bottled up all winter in the Artic. I feel that payment will come in most likely in the form of a mixed bag event like we had 2/2-2/3 1996. Just a hunch and Ive never been through an entire winter w/o seeing any frozen precip fall or fail to accumulate at 42 years of age:

Heres the link with neat graphs and I'll post some of the main points.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/winter/climate_annualfreq.html

A Winter Weather Climatology for the Southeastern United States

Christopher Fuhrmann and Charles E. Konrad, II

Department of Geography

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Winter weather events occur with the greatest frequency on the Appalachian Plateau in southern West Virginia (28 events per year at Beckley, WV). Frequencies decrease markedly to the south-southwest (10-14 events per year across the Piedmont of Virginia, and 6-12 events per year across the Piedmont of North Carolina). Less than four events per year are found along the coastal regions of North Carolina and the southern two-thirds of South Carolina.

Snow dominant events display a similarly marked pattern, ranging from 17 events per year in southern West Virginia, to less than one event per year in southeastern North Carolina and most of South Carolina and Georgia.

Sleet dominant events are quite rare across the Southeast, ranging from no occurrences during the 55-year period in Roanoke, VA, Bristol, TN, Augusta, GA, and Norfolk, VA, to just one occurrence every three years at Raleigh, NC. Given the rarity of sleet dominant events, a 55-year period is probably not a sufficiently long period for capturing the geographic variability in its occurrence.

Freezing rain dominant events occur with the greatest frequency in the western Piedmont from Virginia southwestward to northern Georgia, ranging from one event per year at Lynchburg, VA to one event every two years at Greenville-Spartanburg, SC. Freezing rain dominant events are rare in the Tennessee Valley and the Tidewater region of Virginia, where cold wedges are uncommon and maritime influences dominate, respectively.

Cold rain events show a pattern similar to snow dominant events, with the most frequent occurrences along the Appalachian Plateau of West Virginia. The regional variability in these events, however, is not nearly as great, ranging from seven events per year at Beckley, WV to less than two events per year along the Carolina coast.

One more tidbit: We still have time:

The occurrence of freezing rain typically begins in early December and phases out in mid-March, although more northern and mountainous regions may experience freezing rain as early as November and as late as April as shallow pools of cold air occasionally leak into these regions at low levels (usually by diabatic processes) with much warmer air aloft. There is no distinctive period of maximum frequency, although most of the sampled stations show the greatest frequencies in late December, early February, and early March. The distribution of snowfall indicates a period of maximum frequency in mid-January, with a shift to early February along the coast. Further, most sampled stations show a gradual increase in snowfall frequency throughout the early part of the winter (typically beginning in early November) with a sharper decline occurring in late-January and into March and April.

MONTHLY_GSO.jpg

NCSNOW great info. Ya it has been like pulling teeth waiting on this pattern change. I hope this is just a down year for the whole conus. I have recieved snow but not a big one and while i live in the mountains i no as frustrating as it is right now there are still several month left were we could see lots of winter weather. i have seen it hit 90 degrees one week then the next week have 8 inches of snow on the ground. That event was two years ago at the end of March. This fall/winter has just sucked but i was thinking today thank God we are not in a drought at least were i live. It has seemed to rain about every three days. Well lets hope we get something going into Feb and if not i won't sweat the small stuff.

Oh yeah, I remember those winters on eastern...I think it was 06 that we were waiting on a pattern change like we are this year. We finally got it in February and it was a perfect pattern for snow in the SE put it didn't work out for us. That was a frustrating time also.

See, I think you make a very good point here. This winter has been active, especially for a nina year. And if I have to choose, I'll take active over long, sunny periods. But I will say, on the other side of the coin, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm being a weenie here, but the weather in Raleigh has been boring. No severe weather (always high shear and zero cape). No real cold (or short term near misses). No winter threats (or really even any fantasy storms to track). No strong winds (outside the occasional 30 mph gust). No excessive rain (rain max always splits to the east and to the west). No foggy days (other than a few morning fogs that burn off immediately after sunrise). So for me, it's been quite boring imby. But conversely, I can understand why someone would feel differently.

On another note, I, like many others, appreciate your discussions on the modeling and the patterns. Thanks for taking the time to share your insight.

On still another note, it doesn't seem like you get a lot of sleep! :o

I agree, it has been rather boring around here. I also agree w/ the appreciation towards Robert on the modeling discussions. I've learned a lot from Robert over the years!

i agree. this winter is still better than those. we had that huge ice storm in dec 2005 and then nothing else at ALL the rest of the winter. it was dry and boring for ages it seems like. while we are not getting winter storms and have had nothing to track, sigh, its still been better than the boring ones from a few years ago. a lot of people got spoiled the last two years. we are back to reality.

some of the best snows have been in feb and early march so still in the running. however, if we get about mid februraryish and there is still nothing on the horizon for the next few weeks i will be worried that we wont see anything.

40s and rain is normal here, unfortunatley lol

Does this sum up your feelings?

Yes, very much. I also feel even stronger about my last post.

Side note:

2. Aidan Says:

January 12th, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Mmm, up here in Canada we’ve had very little snow/cold as well, and let’s be honest, we’re notorious for our cold weather :o

13. Rick Says:

January 18th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Here in Far East CENTRAL Kansas .4 inches of snow the Norm, high is 35 deg,s but so far average high this winter have been 10 to 15 deg,s above norm. If this does not change and I mean soon because of the warm weather this will trend into VERY BAD weather for our spring up coming. So for the sake of the NO AND NAO IT WOULD BEHOVE it to change in a hurry. we had baseball size hail Tornadoes. We are so done with this. So warm weather right now is a B,I,G no and SUPER COLD IS A B,I,G, you bet. When its cold it takes time for it to warm up. SO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE SNOW AND COLD.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/business/warm-winter-is-bad-news-for-retailers.html

That last tactic is a little harder this year, he said. “I wish I could tell you there’s one area in the country that’s really, really cold and it would make sense to move everything there,” he said. “Outside of Anchorage, Alaska, there’s not.”

lol

Yes, very much. I also feel even stronger about my last post.

Side note:

lol

since you want everybody just to let go of winter we will probably get winter. why do you keep looking at models and reading the forum since winter is over? You are just like everybody else you still think there is chance so you keep looking. Model run after model run will drive everybody crazy, no reason to watch every run as they have not been consistent all year

since you want everybody just to let go of winter we will probably get winter. why do you keep looking at models and reading the forum since winter is over? You are just like everybody else you still think there is chance so you keep looking. Model run after model run will drive everybody crazy, no reason to watch every run as they have not been consistent all year

I enjoy all aspects of weather. Especially the CAD we have currently along with yesterday's severe chances.

I am ready to blow my top seeing that pv just continually hanging out in Alaska. (euro)

It's like a brother-in-law that comes to stay with you for a couple of weeks to get his feet under him and a year later he's still there.

Get out already!

Lol my B.I.L. is going on two years now in MY game room. Please feet get under him pleeaassee

My irises are throwing out blooms. That has never happened before May.

:cry::fulltilt::weep::violin:

similar here with jonquils. i noticed this morning that some of the jonquils (they have been coming up for a while now) are starting to put out buds. in january! last two years they didnt even come out of the ground until the end of feb./early march lol. this is one of the earliest years i can recall jonquils out in mid january :(

Archived