BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is the banter thread, but could we keep politics confined to AP in the off-topic section? Politics has a tendency to rile us up and I don't see it being productive having the discussion in here.

Then again, I'm no mod so carry on if you'd like. :)

Wassup Superjames?? How bout that big Wolfpack win tonight? Two good defensive showing in a row, although Wake and BC aren't particularly good. Last year, we'd have won by a couple of points....or lost.

I know this is the banter thread, but could we keep politics confined to AP in the off-topic section? Politics has a tendency to rile us up and I don't see it being productive having the discussion in here.

More than a snowless winter? I'm skeptical. :)

I tried to find the Simpsons clip where Bart, Homer and Marge all tell Lisa to go to her room when she makes a reasonable objection to Homer bootlegging beer and liquor...but alas I could'nt find it.

Wassup Superjames?? How bout that big Wolfpack win tonight? Two good defensive showing in a row, although Wake and BC aren't particularly good. Last year, we'd have won by a couple of points....or lost.

Yep, looking decent and the victory over Wake Forest was nice. I am still scratching my head over the loss to Georgia Tech, though...

We'll see how we do against the elite teams of the ACC (Duke, UNC, and to a lesser extent, Virginia). NCSU has two games in three days on the 26th and 28th of this month versus UNC and Virginia, so that should tell us a lot.

More than a snowless winter? I'm skeptical. :)

You may have a point there. :D

Man this SC debate makes me scared of SC. That Gingrich speech was just terrible.

:lol: I know that feeling. :hug:

That's a good point! I hadn't considered that. I think we're all so used to seeing frequent threats in the fantasy range, it's not only disappointing not to have actual snow, but it's like a slap in the face not to even get to chase fantasy snow. :angry:

It would be nice to see anything wintery out in fantasy land ^_^

I'm sure thats part of it, plus the fact the AK vortex is so far away and the cold is locked out west and in Canada, it would be utterly ridiculous almost lately to be seeing a real wintry threat. One of the last big misses it might have had (besides catching onlate to Christmas storm) was probably the Feb 2010 storm. Remember Cuba? Otherwise, if you know its biases and strengths, you can determine whats fake and whats legit. Obviously most everyone saw that the Feb 2010 storm was going to be much further north than it showed. It took nearly right up to 24 hours before it got anywhere near correct. It's probably still bad with supressed flows, but has been greatly improved. Time will tell during our next supressed flow, which may be coming up in February.

I :wub: that storm. The first (and probably the last) time I knew from over a week out I would get snow :hug:

I'm getting kind of sick of all these "It's only January. We still have Feb. and March" posts in the Mid-Range thread. This optimistic idea has already been posted 337 times so why are you posting it again? You are posting nothing to back up what you are saying so take it to banter. That thread is getting so clogged up.

/rant

The reason others are saying that optimistic idea is because people are continually discounting the idea, acting like there is literally no more winter left. As if the month of February went out the explicative window. Posters arm themselves with day-old data from models that flop more than a fish out of water, and retort with how December was or how the winter "has been". No one was as pessimistic about the winter until the model runs today...now THAT is annoying. What I hate seeing is people jump down others throats for being hopeful that the pattern can indeed change. Whether it does or not, I'd like to see evidence from people other than what has happened so far.

Yep, looking decent and the victory over Wake Forest was nice. I am still scratching my head over the loss to Georgia Tech, though...

We'll see how we do against the elite teams of the ACC (Duke, UNC, and to a lesser extent, Virginia). NCSU has two games in three days on the 26th and 28th of this month versus UNC and Virginia, so that should tell us a lot.

Yep. That should help prepare us for the NCAA tourney. :D

The GT thing was a combination of them playing better than they had eariler in the season, their luck meter maxed out, hitting some RIDICULOUS shots, us not playing good D, and us not hitting any shots. Just a bad game for us all around. Tough stretch coming up, though. I have to say that I'm excited about the new coaching staff, though. First time I have seen real potential in about 2 decades. I graduated in 1997 and got to set through the Les Robinson era. Ugh. I was scratching my head with the Gottfried hire, but I think my redisence was a mistake. He's doing a lot of things right.

I was there...I was expecting a completely different result considering GT's previous losses this season....that's one ACC W we'd like to get back.

375563_549952082796_333500101_1020460_1001930699_n.jpg

I was there...I was expecting a completely different result considering GT's previous losses this season....that's one ACC W we'd like to get back.

I was there too....much higher up than you. :) You had some good seats. I see the ball going up in that picture there. Was that one of the GT bank threes that they had? I felt like the officiating was particularly bad, though I don't think that was why we lost.

Here's the problem I'm having w/ the it's only January 19th argument. I think we can all agree that we are not going to see any kind of change before February 1st and that is if we see any change by then. So for arguments sake lets just say the pattern starts to change on February 1st, it's still going to take some time for the cold to work its way to the SE. Now lets say we have the a good pattern by the middle of February, that gives us a 3 to 4 week period of getting a snowstorm. It's very possible that it could work out and we get that snowstorm during that time but winter has been cut down to 3 or 4 weeks in that scenario. And as we've found out over the past 2 winters, we can have the perfect setup for snow in the SE and still not get anything. Of course I'm still going to be looking at the models and hoping for the best but time is running out on the 2011/2012 winter. I'm really trying not to be a downer here but just trying to be realistic.

I was there too....much higher up than you. :) You had some good seats. I see the ball going up in that picture there. Was that one of the GT bank threes that they had? I felt like the officiating was particularly bad, though I don't think that was why we lost.

It was actually the tipoff. I got lucky and a friend had an extra seat, I normally sit in the student section but since I graduated I get a random ticket w/ a friend and it could be anywhere!

I also believe the officiating was terrible, but agree we should have played better all around...but there was some terrible terrible calls, I've never heard the RBC center chant against the refs that loudly and that many times during a game. I was on fire.

It was actually the tipoff. I got lucky and a friend had an extra seat, I normally sit in the student section but since I graduated I get a random ticket w/ a friend and it could be anywhere!

I also believe the officiating was terrible, but agree we should have played better all around...but there was some terrible terrible calls, I've never heard the RBC center chant against the refs that loudly and that many times during a game. I was on fire.

Haha! I'm right there with ya. When Gott got the tech and then the official would never come and talk to him after that, I thought that was really crappy. There were a lot of ticky tack fouls that we got called for, and yeah, those refs were getting booed out of the gym.

I still think we'll have actual below normal cold air at some point. I'm old fashioned though :bag: I've never seen a winter with non stop warmth (or with such short lived cold outbreaks) as this one so far. Its hard to see a cold pattern not emerging in February. If it doesn't happen in Feb to much degree, then it likely will in March, but then it will be too late for snow except the mountains, or a rougue major storm. Anything can happen though, and I'm still optimistic for a good sizeable event at some point, just because of how nature is working to extremes this year. It just so happens, Alaska is having it to the extreme. A few of the years I looked at for blocking north of Alaska, usually ended up providing a winter storm a month later for the Southeast, but not always. I def. think my forecast of a cold Winter here has busted terribly. Even if Feb. is non stop cold, we won't be cold overall for the Winter. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the other shoe drop at some point, where one part of the country thats now cold gets reversed (warm alaska, cold southeast). Makes sense since nature likes working like a see-saw , but the question is does it occur in time to bring snow and 30's or rain and upper 30s?

Mother nature balances things out. I just hate it when we balance out the warm winter with a cold spring.

TW

Here's the problem I'm having w/ the it's only January 19th argument. I think we can all agree that we are not going to see any kind of change before February 1st and that is if we see any change by then. So for arguments sake lets just say the pattern starts to change on February 1st, it's still going to take some time for the cold to work its way to the SE. Now lets say we have the a good pattern by the middle of February, that gives us a 3 to 4 week period of getting a snowstorm. It's very possible that it could work out and we get that snowstorm during that time but winter has been cut down to 3 or 4 weeks in that scenario. And as we've found out over the past 2 winters, we can have the perfect setup for snow in the SE and still not get anything. Of course I'm still going to be looking at the models and hoping for the best but time is running out on the 2011/2012 winter. I'm really trying not to be a downer here but just trying to be realistic.

I think people have to realize too that while small scale features on the models may change a lot, the large scale features (such as where the AK / Canadian vortexes are located, and how the longwave ridges and troughs are evolving) aren't flip-flopping on each model run (op and ensemble means). Right now, signs of a change to a wintry pattern are faint. Can this improve, of course....but this winter has been dreadful up to this point.

I think people have to realize too that while small scale features on the models may change a lot, the large scale features (such as where the AK / Canadian vortexes are located, and how the longwave ridges and troughs are evolving) aren't flip-flopping on each model run (op and ensemble means). Right now, signs of a change to a wintry pattern are faint. Can this improve, of course....but this winter has been dreadful up to this point.

I agree griteater. In my post above I was trying to put out the best case scenario. Didn't want to sound like too much of a downer... :lol:

Mother nature balances things out. I just hate it when we balance out the warm winter with a cold spring.

TW

I've seen that many, many times here in NC. A warm Winter, followed by numerous damming episodes in March and April , even May. Someone will likely dig out from a foot between Shreveport, Memphis and Elizabeth City this year..just not sure who.

I've seen that many, many times here in NC. A warm Winter, followed by numerous damming episodes in March and April , even May. Someone will likely dig out from a foot between Shreveport, Memphis and Elizabeth City this year..just not sure who.

I agree foothills. There is no way that someone will not get a big storm this winter/spring. Things may not look great now but it only takes one storm. I have seen snow in May before, a foot at the end of April. There is always hope.

Yep, that was a great road win for the Techies, maybe the only one this year, lol. Oh, wait, they are all road games for Tech this year :) They may win a few more, but not playing like they did tonight. T

Yea we have been splitting wood too. Looking at getting a water stove. I get free wood so really a no brainer

I've actually burned a lot of wood this year. In Ga., at least down here, I've had a lot of cold nights, any number of which could have produced snow if any rain had been around. I've got a big Fisher, that runs me out of the house, if I get carried away loading it. T

I've actually burned a lot of wood this year. In Ga., at least down here, I've had a lot of cold nights, any number of which could have produced snow if any rain had been around. I've got a big Fisher, that runs me out of the house, if I get carried away loading it. T

I remember as a kid going to my grandparents farm. They had a Warm Morning coal burning stove in the living room and that would pretty much heat up the entire house. I use to sleep on the sofa when I was there and remember one side of me getting cold while the other side roasted.

They had no bathrooms either, you either went to the two-seat outhouse or in a pot in the house. Throw in a party line telephone system, water from a well, and milk straight from the cow and you have living the old fashioned way!

Archived