BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, for longevity and trouble free operation, a Davis is the only way to go. The lowest priced Davis is the Vantage Vue all the way up to the Vantage Pro 2 Plus.

You will spend a little more initially but it's worth it. My Vue is the 2nd weather station I've owned (Oregon Scientific was the first).

Agree 100%. I own a Vue (it was the only Davis product that would fit in my budget at the time), and I have been very pleased with it. The biggest downside is that you cannot disconnect the anemometer and the thermometer. Thus, you usually have to compromise one or the other: Put above the roof and get better wind measurements but not as accurate temp readings OR put closer to the ground and get better temp readings but poor wind measurements.

I also highly recommend their software: Weatherlink. It's great, easy-to-operate, and keeps all your data in an easy-to-access location where you can also make notes.

Oh, and their tech support is of the highest quality too. I've called several times with separate issues when I was originally setting it all up. They set me straight really quickly. It's a great company, all around.

The biggest downside is that you cannot disconnect the anemometer and the thermometer. Thus, you usually have to compromise one or the other: Put above the roof and get better wind measurements but not as accurate temp readings OR put closer to the ground and get better temp readings but poor wind measurements.

I also highly recommend their software: Weatherlink. It's great, easy-to-operate, and keeps all your data in an easy-to-access location where you can also make notes.

Actually, you're in luck! I found out from Davis technical support that you can use the wireless anemometer option with the Vue console. There is a setting in the console that tells it which one to use for the wind reading. I have the details if you decide to upgrade!

I have Weatherlink installed but only used it in the original console setup, it hasn't been loaded since. I use Virtual Weather Station (VWS) Internet Edition and Weather-Display at the same time using VirtualVP as a traffic cop. I like the simplicity of VWS and it does all my uploads to Wunderground, Weatherbug, Hamweather/Weather for You as well as CWOP. I also have VWS do my NOAA climate reports. VWS is what sends my AJAX script data refreshes every 8 seconds with the current conditions on my main page. Weather-Display has a lot of PHP script support available (here's an example and here's one among many others) and is the most complex and complete of all three software packages but with a steep learning curve. My WD also uploads my data once a minute to a SQL database as well as sending the current conditions once an hour and the forecast every 6 hours to my Twitter account.

Hey I thought i would ask yall about what was a good weather station to get. I have been looking at weathershack.com for some weather stations. Thanks for all comments.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield. I find it to be very accurate and it has tons of weather information. Only costs about $1,200, which is a bargain considering that it has so much information and will last for years.

Actually, you're in luck! I found out from Davis technical support that you can use the wireless anemometer option with the Vue console. There is a setting in the console that tells it which one to use for the wind reading. I have the details if you decide to upgrade!

I have Weatherlink installed but only used it in the original console setup, it hasn't been loaded since. I use Virtual Weather Station (VWS) Internet Edition and Weather-Display at the same time using VirtualVP as a traffic cop. I like the simplicity of VWS and it does all my uploads to Wunderground, Weatherbug, Hamweather/Weather for You as well as CWOP. I also have VWS do my NOAA climate reports. VWS is what sends my AJAX script data refreshes every 8 seconds with the current conditions on my main page. Weather-Display has a lot of PHP script support available (here's an example and here's one among many others) and is the most complex and complete of all three software packages but with a steep learning curve. My WD also uploads my data once a minute to a SQL database as well as sending the current conditions once an hour and the forecast every 6 hours to my Twitter account.

Thanks for the info. I may look into that in the future, in which case I'll hit you up for the details. My IT skills would need some improvements for all that you have your station do, but I'll try to examine some of your links in the future.

And all you guys with weather stations, I know I don't have all of you on my page in my sig... do you send to Wunderground?

AmericanWX Member Station Page

I don't know how to send to Wunderground. I didn't know that I had that capability or option. I'm interested though. Tell me more...

I see where the record low for 19JAN at GSO was -1 in 1994 .... wasnt this right after a big winter storm? if my memory serves we had snow, then sleet, then freezing rain before it got so cold...

my grandma lost power and my brother and I took water to her so she could flush her toilets lol....didnt know it at the time, but a pitcher of water overturned in the back floor board of my car, and the next day i had a 'floor board shaped' block of ice lol...

sorry for the story but seeing that record low brought up good memories ;)

Dacula, I can't send you a PM. Is your box full?

It was full, try me again, sorry!

My data is appearing on your page but the link seems broken.

Looks like it's working now. They turn red if the last update is more than 10 minutes old. You'll see certain stations red more than others and it's usually because their software crashed or locked up. I use StartWatch to manage the loading and monitoring of applications and if anything blows up, StartWatch will force the app closed (if possible) and attempt to reload it. If all else fails it will restart the computer. Not only that, but I do an automatic restart every morning at 5am just in case. If seems that some weather apps are more susceptible to memory leaks that will eventually eat up all of your computer memory and cause a crash. In StartWatch you can assign memory limits to the apps and if reached, StartWatch will shut it down and restart it. Very slick application

I managed to find a silver lining to this dark cloud of a winter:

I work in manufacturing making housing materials such as siding, accessories and shutters. Since the winter has sucked so badly, the building industry is seeing an upswing in a normally slow period. We've added on help and orders are out the roof. We've even worked O/T the past month.

Still, I could use a snow-week...just one. ;)

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing Peach.

My brother works in construction around the Lake Lure area.. He has also been super busy this winter.

I managed to find a silver lining to this dark cloud of a winter:

I work in manufacturing making housing materials such as siding, accessories and shutters. Since the winter has sucked so badly, the building industry is seeing an upswing in a normally slow period. We've added on help and orders are out the roof. We've even worked O/T the past month.

Still, I could use a snow-week...just one. ;)

Well, since I don't use it I'm the wrong one to ask but I know 5.9.2 and up do (I'm sure it goes back further too) . Do a little searching in the menus and see if you can find the setup information, if not let me know and I'll find out for you.

It's under the File menu on Weatherlink to enter your wunderground log in information and ID. Weatherlink does the rest.

My setup is just VP2 with 24 hour FARS and weatherlink uploading to my site (www.dawsonweather.com) and wunderground.com.

I created very basic HTML pages that utilize the tag codes that are available from weatherlink and weatherlink actually creates the html pages and uploads them with the tags replaced with the real data every 5 minutes.

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield. I find it to be very accurate and it has tons of weather information. Only costs about $1,200, which is a bargain considering that it has so much information and will last for years.

Ouch!!! Next time look at a place like provantage.com for a much better deal.

From their site:

6 Product Variants in this Product Group

Cabled Vantage Pro2 with Standard Radiation Shield Wireless Vantage Pro2 and its wireless extras are not compatible with original Vantage Pro stations because they use different radios. ...More 6152C

Cabled Vantage Pro2 Plus with Standard Radiation Shield Includes all the features of Vantage Pro, plus everything you need for reading: - UV index and dose. - Solar radiation. - Evapotranspiration. - UV and solar radiation sensors are pre-installed on sensor mounting shelf. ...More 6162C

Wireless Vantage Pro2 with Standard Radiation Shield Wireless Vantage Pro2 and its wireless extras are not compatible with original Vantage Pro stations because they use different radios. ...More 6152

Wireless Vantage Pro2 with 24-Hour Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield Includes the patented solar-powered 24-hour fan-aspirated radiation shield for maximum accuracy of temperature and humidity readings, along with all the features of Vantage Pro2. - Wireless Vantage Pro2 ...More 6153

Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with Standard Radiation Shield Includes all the features of Vantage Pro, plus everything you need for reading: - UV index and dose. - Solar radiation. - Evapotranspiration. - UV and solar radiation sensors are pre-installed on sensor mounting shelf. ...More 6162

Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hour Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield Includes the patented solar-powered 24-hour fan-aspirated radiation shield for maximum accuracy of temperature and humidity readings, along with all the features of Vantage Pro2 Plus. - Wireless Vantage ...More 6163

Frequently I wonder if you are trolling just sitting back at your computer laughing your ass off about it.

It's under the File menu on Weatherlink to enter your wunderground log in information and ID. Weatherlink does the rest.

My setup is just VP2 with 24 hour FARS and weatherlink uploading to my site (www.dawsonweather.com) and wunderground.com.

I created very basic HTML pages that utilize the tag codes that are available from weatherlink and weatherlink actually creates the html pages and uploads them with the tags replaced with the real data every 5 minutes.

Thanks. I had to download an upgrade, but Wunderground's site pointed me in the right direction.

Well, if it's going to be a bad winter it might as well be the worst winter ever. In my entire life i've never gone a winter without seeing at least a snowflake or sleet pellet. This could be the first. I know everyone else in GA has seen snowflakes, but i've yet to see one.

Well, if you stay in Ga. by the time you're 60 you will have seen a slew of them. Unless....unless the new ice age is upon us. Via my calculations, if I get a sleet storm this year, I will officially be in a new ice age. If not, then it's the same old same old, and you'll see a bunch of frozenless winters over your life time :) T

Archived