• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

Optimistic for when? February? It seems winter kees getting pushed back. We are going to run out of time before long and spring will be here.

LOL it does feel like time is running out but for me there is a difference between wanting snow and wanting "winter"...I want snow if I cant have snow then I dont want winter. That said two of the biggest snowstorms to hit in my lifetime hit Feb 24th 1989 and the of course there was Mar 1-2 1980. Not sure how the winter was leading up to those storms but I know it prolly wasnt as warm as this one lol.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been on much, so if this has been posted, apologies, but went to read the Seattle AFD as their winter storm looms and got a chuckle.

SYNOPSIS...SHOWERS WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO

TUESDAY AS A DISTURBANCE EMBEDDED IN THE NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT

MOVES OVER WESTERN WASHINGTON. A STRONG WARM FRONT WILL APPROACH THE

AREA FROM THE SOUTH TUESDAY NIGHT THEN MOVE THROUGH MOST OF WESTERN

WASHINGTON WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THIS SYSTEM MAY GIVE HEAVY

SNOW TO PORTIONS OF THE LOWLANDS BEFORE PRECIPITATION TURNS TO RAIN.

AN ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN IS EXPECTED THURSDAY THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND.

&&

.SHORT TERM..."LOOKS LIKE I PICKED THE WRONG WEEK TO QUIT DRINKING"

STEVE MCCROSKEY

PRETTY CHALLENGING NEXT FEW DAYS FOR THE FORECAST OFFICE. RIGHT NOW

WSR-88D`S PICKING UP A BAND OF SNOW SHOWERS REACHING THE COAST ALONG

WITH SOME ISOLATED SNOW SHOWERS OVER THE INTERIOR. SATELLITE IMAGERY

SHOWS NEXT SHORTWAVE EMBEDDED IN THE NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT NEAR

130W. THIS FEATURE WILL MOVE OVER WESTERN WASHINGTON LATER THIS

MORNING INTO THIS AFTERNOON ENHANCING THE SHOWER ACTIVITY OVER THE

REGION. FOR THIS MORNING...OUTSIDE OF THE COAST JUST SOME ISOLATED

SHOWERS WITH THE UNSTABLE AIR MASS OVER THE AREA. 1000-850 MB

THICKNESS VALUES REMAINING IN THE 1280 METER RANGE ALL DAY...COLD

ENOUGH FOR ALL OF THE SHOWERS TO BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW. HEAVIEST

PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS ALONG THE COAST TODAY SO WILL ISSUE A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR 1 TO 2 INCHES OF SNOW TODAY. FOR THE REMAINDER

OF THE AREA AMOUNTS OF AN INCH OR LESS LOOK TO BE THE NORM.

INITIALLY WITH THE NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT THE CENTRAL SOUND WILL

GET SNOW SHADOWED. THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME WEAK CONVERGENCE

DEVELOPING OVER THE CENTRAL SOUND LATER THIS AFTERNOON INTO THIS

EVENING. THIS WILL BE THE BEST CHANCE FOR ACCUMULATING SNOW IN THE

CENTRAL SOUND.

Haven't been on much, so if this has been posted, apologies, but went to read the Seattle AFD as their winter storm looms and got a chuckle.

SYNOPSIS...SHOWERS WILL INCREASE THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO

TUESDAY AS A DISTURBANCE EMBEDDED IN THE NORTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT

MOVES OVER WESTERN WASHINGTON. A STRONG WARM FRONT WILL APPROACH THE

AREA FROM THE SOUTH TUESDAY NIGHT THEN MOVE THROUGH MOST OF WESTERN

WASHINGTON WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THIS SYSTEM MAY GIVE HEAVY

SNOW TO PORTIONS OF THE LOWLANDS BEFORE PRECIPITATION TURNS TO RAIN.

AN ACTIVE WEATHER PATTERN IS EXPECTED THURSDAY THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND.

&&

.SHORT TERM..."LOOKS LIKE I PICKED THE WRONG WEEK TO QUIT DRINKING"

STEVE MCCROSKEY

Yep they have a pretty nice few days coming up this is for Seattle.......

M.L.King Day: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 35. South wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Tonight: Snow showers. Low around 33. South southwest wind between 6 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tuesday: Snow showers. High near 34. South southwest wind 7 to 10 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tuesday Night: Snow. Low around 27. North wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. Northeast wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

2nd chance against Tebow? He killed him the first chance he had. If anything the Broncos should have been harder the second time around. Bellichick and his crew always do it with no name players. The only times they've splurged on big names was with Randy Moss and Ochocinco. Unlike the Eagles who bought a quarter of a pro bowl team and ended up with a big plate of fail. Remember Brady was a no name player, so was Gronkowski, so was Kevin Faulk and Troy Brown...the list goes on and on. He also turned the Browns around and had the Jets turning a corner. Look I hate the Patriots but Bellichick is the best coach in this league hands down. Don't see how anyone can seriously argue that? Who is better?

The guy has his defensive game plan in the HOF against the Buffalo Bills for God's sake. Also he turned around the Browns and had the Jets going in the right direction defensively that's why when he left everyone was freaking livid. He also turned the Pats around with Bledsoe who was only good when being coached by Bellichick.

I'm thinking Pats and 49'rs go the Super Bowl which would be a great matchup.

Great post Burger. and for your matchup, I would love to see that happen. Im a Pats fan but if they lose to the Niners, It wouldnt be as bad. Niners deserve some glory. Alex Smith is a feel good story this year.

Well, seems like folks on the mid-long range thread think February will bring the pattern change and we'll actually have some winter here. I heard the same thing about January. Sorry, I don't believe the hype. And even if February is colder, that's just a waste without any snow to go with it.

Yes, you can put me in the "cautiously hopeful" camp as the Euro weeklies for Jan. (******fwiw****** since their accuracy that far out is obviously questionable) never had a long range map even close to the beautiful looking pattern shown on week 4 of yesterday's weeklies. Also, I don't recall ever saying anything optimistic about Jan. as regards persistent cold and winter storm chances are concerned. Finally, I, myself, am not hyping Feb. I'm just saying I'm "cautiously hopeful". Also, if it doesn't happen, I'll be able to handle it just fine.

By the way, I'm really upset you didn't win WOTY. You are the "People's Weenie" as far as I'm concerned. Nobody does it better and, as a result, you're a big asset to this board. On behalf of all SE readers, I thank you very much for your presence.

Great post Burger. and for your matchup, I would love to see that happen. Im a Pats fan but if they lose to the Niners, It wouldnt be as bad. Niners deserve some glory. Alex Smith is a feel good story this year.

Yea I correctly called Green Bay loosing that playoff game (weeks ago) in the office and everyone was giving me crap. Now they are giving me crap about picking the Niners and Pats. Niners defensive is a great matchup against New York. My prediction is Niners win something like 21 to 7. Don't think the Giants do much on Offense...question will be how does the Niners offensive line hold up to the Giants? As for the Pats they looked crazy good and the Ravens offense sucks.

Outside of that with regards to Belichick every hater has to ask themselves one question. If their team were to hire him would they be upset? If they say yes they are probably lying.

Yes, you can put me in the "cautiously hopeful" camp as the Euro weeklies for Jan. (******fwiw****** since their accuracy that far out is obviously questionable) never had a long range map even close to the beautiful looking pattern shown on week 4 of yesterday's weeklies. Also, I don't recall ever saying anything optimistic about Jan. as regards persistent cold and winter storm chances are concerned. Finally, I, myself, am not hyping Feb. I'm just saying I'm "cautiously hopeful". Also, if it doesn't happen, I'll be able to handle it just fine.

By the way, I'm really upset you didn't win WOTY. You are the "People's Weenie" as far as I'm concerned. Nobody does it better and, as a result, you're a big asset to this board. On behalf of all SE readers, I thank you very much for your presence.

Well, in December I remember reading mets on blogs and on here say that January will be colder and stormier. Then it got pushed back to the middle of January. And now it's being pushed back to February. It's getting to be like the boy that cried wolf.

And now there are tornadoes today in the Southeast. We can't get snow in winter, but we can get tornadoes. Crazy.

Well, in December I remember reading mets on blogs and on here say that January will be colder and stormier. Then it got pushed back to the middle of January. And now it's being pushed back to February. It's getting to be like the boy that cried wolf.

And now there are tornadoes today in the Southeast. We can't get snow in winter, but we can get tornadoes. Crazy.

looks like more severe in about a week, then again right after that. Either (or both) will likely have severe cells and maybe tornadoes associated with them. Nice January Spring huh?

Groundhog day.

Watched Groundhog day on TVLand or some channel similar to that name, and it didn't have my favorite line when the groundhog is driving the truck near the end and Bill Murray tells him "Don't drive angry". So I searched for other showings and recorded one on Reel and it did have that line. Wonder why it was taken out of some versions?

Groundhog day.

Watched Groundhog day on TVLand or some channel similar to that name, and it didn't have my favorite line when the groundhog is driving the truck near the end and Bill Murray tells him "Don't drive angry". So I searched for other showings and recorded one on Reel and it did have that line. Wonder why it was taken out of some versions?

Time constraints based on breaks for commercials. It's always funny what they decide to edit out and keep in.

Yea I correctly called Green Bay loosing that playoff game (weeks ago) in the office and everyone was giving me crap. Now they are giving me crap about picking the Niners and Pats. Niners defensive is a great matchup against New York. My prediction is Niners win something like 21 to 7. Don't think the Giants do much on Offense...question will be how does the Niners offensive line hold up to the Giants? As for the Pats they looked crazy good and the Ravens offense sucks.

Outside of that with regards to Belichick every hater has to ask themselves one question. If their team were to hire him would they be upset? If they say yes they are probably lying.

As I said the other day I wouldn't want him. What did he do in Cleveland and Ny Jets??? NOTHING! He went to New England had Drew Bledsoe to start the turn around and then Brady. They have no defense to win the SB unless they play San Fran. The hottest team always wins and that would be the Giants. I personally don't care who wins as my Steelers aren't there.

As I said the other day I wouldn't want him. What did he do in Cleveland and Ny Jets??? NOTHING! He went to New England had Drew Bledsoe to start the turn around and then Brady. They have no defense to win the SB unless they play San Fran. The hottest team always wins and that would be the Giants. I personally don't care who wins as my Steelers aren't there.

Ha you are crazy man. He took the Browns to the playoffs...granted he made some mistakes but so does every young coach. With the Jets they had the 2nd best defense in the NFL and went to the playoffs in 98 for the first time in 7 years. I don't think New England can beat San Fran to be honest...probably could be the Giants but again I'll bet the Giants lose. We'll see though.

Ha you are crazy man. He took the Browns to the playoffs...granted he made some mistakes but so does every young coach. With the Jets they had the 2nd best defense in the NFL and went to the playoffs in 98 for the first time in 7 years. I don't think New England can beat San Fran to be honest...probably could be the Giants but again I'll bet the Giants lose. We'll see though.

One of my best friends is from Ohio HUGE Browns fan and hates him. Did nothing for them. I think Ravens beat them but if not Giants will. Something about giants in playoff time. I think either way NFC wins unless Ravens get in. Steelers would have beaten San Fran if Ben was healthy. Flacco stinks, saw that this week. Ravens scored 17 points on turnovers. Texans should have won 13-3 however anybody can score on Patriots defense so might be interesting Sunday

I had San Fran and Baltimore in the Super Hype, and for some reason I was ridiculed terribly. So then I bet GB wouldn't be in the championship game either. Too bad I only bet a buck on stuff. I'd be a bazillionaire if I had any guts :) T

I had San Fran and Baltimore in the Super Hype, and for some reason I was ridiculed terribly. So then I bet GB wouldn't be in the championship game either. Too bad I only bet a buck on stuff. I'd be a bazillionaire if I had any guts :) T

Yea my friend went to Vegas over the weekend that the Broncos beat the Steelers I told him to bet on the Broncos just for the hell of it. He was hitting himself over that one. I'm with you I wish I would have made a bet against the Packers!

Hey I thought i would ask yall about what was a good weather station to get. I have been looking at weathershack.com for some weather stations. Thanks for all comments.

Steve - Daculaweather and Justin - Weatherkid#27 could probably give you some advice. Go ahead and post your budget and what is most important to you as those will be key to pointing you in the right direction.

Personally, for longevity and trouble free operation, a Davis is the only way to go. The lowest priced Davis is the Vantage Vue all the way up to the Vantage Pro 2 Plus.

You will spend a little more initially but it's worth it. My Vue is the 2nd weather station I've owned (Oregon Scientific was the first).

That's not to say there are not others that are worthy of consideration. Go to http://www.wxforum.net and post your question there. Those guys are more hardware/software related over there and you'll get some other opinions.

My next one will be a VP2+ with the wireless anemometer option. That one includes UV and solar sensors as well as a 24 hour fan aspirated radiation shield (FARS). The all have solar panels for daytime operation with reserve storage (super cap and battery) for night time operation.

All of the wireless Davis stations (except the Vue) will accept soil and leaf moisture sensors as well as soil temp sensors. With those you can determine your evapotranspiration rate (helps determine how much moisture is being pulled from the ground and through the leaves.).

Ask away if you have any questions!

BTW, here's a good comparison chart between the different Davis stations

http://www.convectivedevelopment.com/davis/

Archived