• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

Or your temp has been going up all night like it has here last ons had it at 55 which is up from around 51 when I came to work at 6:30 last night. Winds is howling outta the SW. RAH just had a gust to 41 with temps still in the low 50's so they are right on the front, so it will be here in a hr ot two so it might get to the forecast low of 41 before morning........

you may reach that....down to 32 here with wind chill of 19

was 51 at midnight.....quite a drop

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the bright side, the land (at 3,000') we own up in the mountains in Mitchell County, NC did eke out a couple of inches of snow during last night's flizzard. Once we build our cabin -- hopefully by the end of the summer or early fall once we settle on a floor plan and contractor -- we'll have an option for those times when we're snow-starved here in the Piedmont.

well Brick you have been saying for a week you were leaving and you are still here. Problem is you are like everybody still hoping before winter is over we get something. I believe its not over though it don't look good I am not throwing towel in until March 31. I am not excited about it anymore but would like to see some wintry weather.

well Brick you have been saying for a week you were leaving and you are still here. Problem is you are like everybody still hoping before winter is over we get something. I believe its not over though it don't look good I am not throwing towel in until March 31. I am not excited about it anymore but would like to see some wintry weather.

It's just because I am very bored with my job.

With all the sophistication in the global models today, I am not sure if that's a good or bad thing that we know things are going to be rough for the foreseeable future, after all it's only Jan 13th. I remember being young not knowing what the weather was going to be like 5 days later.

That was one reason I went back to look at what was happening before the Storm of the Century.

No one knew more than 5 days out that this would happen, and even after that not many believed it could or would happen. Here in Atlanta, we were in the 70's for the two days preceding that storm. If you look at the maps I posted, there was really no clue what was about to happen. Granted, we've (supposedly) come a long way with forecasting since then but as we can all see, they models ain't doin' too well right now...

Anything can happen here in the south.

I'm going back and gather data for a couple of our big snow storms here in Atlanta, maybe Larry can help me with some data.

I'm looking at January 11-12 1982 Snow Jam and March 24th, 1983.

With Snow Jam with had lows of -2 and -5 degrees (with a pretty good snowfall) here and the March 83 storm we had about 8". I've already collected all the maps and charts and I have the AO/NAO numbers to go with it. I wish I had been able to collect all of this back then!

Unbelievable this could be the worst winter ever for MBY? I guarantee spring late March-April will be cold and rainy 40s with nice CAD.... besides who wants cold when it should be in the 60s & 70s? I just wish we could skip thru till May!!! Most depressing winter ever so far! Through with the rant for now, maybe more later.

Just seen 12z GFS and Euro, See ya!!!

http://youtu.be/IXdN142_P7U

I'm throwing in the towel for this winter, I all but did that a few days ago but today is official for me. I think February is going to be warmer than average, sure we could end up with a few flakeage events but I don't see a widespread storm this year. Who knows maybe March we will score but unless it's a historic one the sun angle starts getting mighty high that time of year and we lose so much snow due to that.

Time of death 3:27PM 1/13/2012

May we never see a winter like this again.

It's been a good winter here so far :thumbsup: More snow on the way.... I can't figure out what everbody is complaining about?

SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE

EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR

NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND

10 MPH IN THE EVENING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE. CHANCE OF

SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...SUNNY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING. LITTLE

OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. LIGHT AND

VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

I'm at a point where I say screw the snow, I just need as many cold days as possible. I have many apple, peach, pear, and nut trees that need to stay in hybernation. My biggest fear is for everything to start blumming and then the big freeze hits in March/April. **I would actually take the latest 12z GFS. It does warm us up at days 9 to 13 but depicts a cold shot on day 14.

I'm planning on taking the wife and three little ones up to the WNC mountains to play in some snow tomorrow. I think the closer I am to the TN border, the more snow I should find. Anybody want to recommend Elk Park, Banner Elk, Newland, Zionville, or Todd? Don't really want to drive up the road to the top of Beech. Where do you think I'll find the most snow on the ground and the least congestion (traffic-wise). Maybe just going to Boone would be okay. We just want to find a little hill somewhere with snow on it to have some sledding fun.

Archived