Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

I'll take a stab..

The block in Alaska is starting to come together, in the next day or two it will start to strengthen. The concern is that it is not setting up in an ideal location and moves west even farther way from where we want it as it matures.

http://www.instantwe..._500mb&hour=078

Check out this link. Look near Alaska near the Aleutian islands and you will see a red area. That indicates 500mb geopotential heights that are above normal. Basically this is our block. Advance the frames through time by hitting next and you will see the red area darken up and slide west, sliding west towards Siberia is not what we want. The darkening are the heights getting even more above normal, the block getting stronger. Robert mentioned just a minute ago that ideally that red blob (block) would be setup over Alaska not Siberia (Russia).

Ok...so the deeper red needs to be over alaska...closer toward Canada....and the -NAO would be red over the country of Greenland...right?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...so the deeper red needs to be over alaska...closer toward Canada....and the -NAO would be red over the country of Greenland...right?

That's above my paygrade, I just don't understand enough to help you much. But yes red areas (rising heights) around Greenland could be a -NAO. The exact location around Greenland is the key and I can't tell you which is most beneficial to us. There is East based and West based NAO's and I could not begin to tell which is which or even what to look for. I really can't say anymore about the blocking in Alaska, I just don't know much about it to tell you anything worthwhile.

Just checking in to see if there is any change today to the epic fail that is this winter.

Nope. Winter has been canceled due to the BT affect. It's where too many :weenie: make pointless remarks about winter or they repeat what everyone else has said as their own thoughts and it scares winter off.

i'm so tired of this winter, tired of coming to the board and looking at the extended and see that nothing is on the horizon about a snowstorm. we can't even get a decent nw flow snow what the hell is wrong with this goofy weather. I get disappointed everyday when I go and look at the extended and the weather forum and see that nothing is cooking for us.

i'm so tired of this winter, tired of coming to the board and looking at the extended and see that nothing is on the horizon about a snowstorm. we can't even get a decent nw flow snow what the hell is wrong with this goofy weather. I get disappointed everyday when I go and look at the extended and the weather forum and see that nothing is cooking for us.

I knew this one was in trouble as soon as I learned it would be a W to SW flow. They very seldom verify to expectations. Looks like the Sat. flow might be oriented in a little more traditional fashion but there's not much energy to work with.

And yes people, we were spoiled here in the mountains the last couple of years too. For instance, my snow total on this date last year was 67 inches. It's all relative I guess.

I knew this one was in trouble as soon as I learned it would be a W to SW flow. They very seldom verify to expectations. Looks like the Sat. flow might be oriented in a little more traditional fashion but there's not much energy to work with.

As yes people, we were spoiled here in the mountains the last couple of years too. For instance, my snow total on this date last year was 67 inches. It's all relative I guess.

What are you at this year? I'm sitting on just over an inch. Lol... This time last year I was over 30. We might do well in march and April tho.

I'd consider today to be ideal weather-wise. A few clouds and some sun. Mid-fifties. Nice day overall. Walked my dog for about a mile and a half earlier.

I agree with you there. It was beautiful outside today, mid 50s like you said, a bit chilly but great golfing weather.

Do you happen to listen to "sportsdrive"? Its a triad sports show that comes on AM radio, just wondering bc your comment about sticking your head in the freezer while making a "samich" made me wonder.

Archived