BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the LR the GFS also had major changes such as blocking with cold air consistently dumping into the CONUS...now in the LR it's nowhere to be find. What a disaster.

I love this banter thread....great stuff.

Ya know I was thinking how the gfs has been a train wreck.....as you say it showed LR blocking and consistent dumping of cold, that didn't happen....ok now the LR is showing zonal milder temps......so maybe THAT won't happen either. Cold cometh! I'm just trying to stay positive....

Ya know I was thinking how the gfs has been a train wreck.....as you say it showed LR blocking and consistent dumping of cold, that didn't happen....ok now the LR is showing zonal milder temps......so maybe THAT won't happen either. Cold cometh! I'm just trying to stay positive....

I see you are from Roanoke Rapids, I'm up there working quiet often. I service machines in the New Dixie C-Stores (iIm sure you are familiar with them)

I am thinking of just not coming back until we get a real winter storm threat. It's very boring now.

It can't be done believe me I have tried. Just when you think you can walk away from this forum, a single run of the GFS or Euro sucks you back in. I'm almost 9,000 miles away with absolutely zero chance of seeing a single flake of snow, and now instead of staying up late for the 00 Euro and analysis, I do it for the 12z.. Sometimes I really think having a love for Winter weather is a sickness.

I see you are from Roanoke Rapids, I'm up there working quiet often. I service machines in the New Dixie C-Stores (iIm sure you are familiar with them)

You mean the stores that are sitting on every corner?! Lol yeah very familiar. And I actually live about 12 miles outside RR, the country life......oh and don't associate me with the RR Theater epic fail :bag:

Metwannabe! :)

Ever since Dr. No gave us the devistating news that our Winter has, in fact, tested positive for NAO, it's been a life of adjustment and confusion.

All we can do is hope that a couple of experimental Probi-arctics will combat the disease. Apparently it can only be cured naturally.

sustainex.jpg

Skilling thinks it will be slippery...

:lol:

Ever since Dr. No gave us the devistating news that our Winter has, in fact, tested positive for NAO, it's been a life of adjustment and confusion.

All we can do is hope that a couple of experimental Probi-arctics will combat the disease. Apparently it can only be cured naturally.

There is a cure :hug::lol:

So glad we have a banter thread.

Skilling thinks it will be slippery...

I'd hate to see where it's going to be hot and sticky.

Pulled over from the mid-long thread.

It's not going to be in the next 6 weeks. After mid-February it get's tough with the sun angle to get accumulating snow. I have never had to mow my lawn in the winter, that I recall, I have had to mow it twice since Thanksgiving. I might put down pre-emergent at the end of January, if the crabgrass get's going then the pre-emergent will be useless.

I know we have some yard artist in our group. I was hoping to have a solid winter :) Any advice on what will be good to put down and when this year? Or just some general thoughts on how to prepare as spring approaches. Granted my lawn is not a manicured lawn. The majority is a thick plug that was laid more than 20 years ago and turns brown during he first days of fall.

What's up superj? Where ya been.....not like you've missed anything.....LOL

In times of great snowlessness, I try to avoid frequenting the boards too much, lest I have a meltdown. :lol:

At least we are getting a lot of rain today, which is kind of nice, though it also meant that I hate to walk to and from class in it. :cry:

So glad we have a banter thread.

Pulled over from the mid-long thread.

I know we have some yard artist in our group. I was hoping to have a solid winter :) Any advice on what will be good to put down and when this year? Or just some general thoughts on how to prepare as spring approaches. Granted my lawn is not a manicured lawn. The majority is a thick plug that was laid more than 20 years ago and turns brown during he first days of fall.

I got you covered!

Figured this would be the place for my questions since I don't want to clutter the mid/long range thread....Ok, here goes...Has the blocking we expected to form already happened?? Or are we still waiting to see where the block finally settles.... Whether it is in our favor our not, I was just wondering....I'm not too good at reading all of the computer models yet....especially looking at blocks and patterns.....Got a handle on the NAO and the PNA and the AO....and know the basics....just not sure how it looks on model graphics....In other words....I am NOT smarter than a fifth grader HA! :lmao: ...anywho, just wondering as to when I should reserve a place in Lookout's line. :violin::cry:

Figured this would be the place for my questions since I don't want to clutter the mid/long range thread....Ok, here goes...Has the blocking we expected to form already happened?? Or are we still waiting to see where the block finally settles.... Whether it is in our favor our not, I was just wondering....I'm not too good at reading all of the computer models yet....especially looking at blocks and patterns.....Got a handle on the NAO and the PNA and the AO....and know the basics....just not sure how it looks on model graphics....In other words....I am NOT smarter than a fifth grader HA! :lmao: ...anywho, just wondering as to when I should reserve a place in Lookout's line. :violin::cry:

I'll take a stab..

The block in Alaska is starting to come together, in the next day or two it will start to strengthen. The concern is that it is not setting up in an ideal location and moves west even farther way from where we want it as it matures.

http://www.instantwe..._500mb&hour=078

Check out this link. Look near Alaska near the Aleutian islands and you will see a red area. That indicates 500mb geopotential heights that are above normal. Basically this is our block. Advance the frames through time by hitting next and you will see the red area darken up and slide west, sliding west towards Siberia is not what we want. The darkening are the heights getting even more above normal, the block getting stronger. Robert mentioned just a minute ago that ideally that red blob (block) would be setup over Alaska not Siberia (Russia).

Archived