BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow..... glad I joined this board..... way more drama here lol then the others!!!!

Welcome dylan :) It's usually drama free here in the SE forum, but every once in awhile someone with a large ego reminds those with issues why it's important to read more and post less :lol:

One year ago today....good times are sorely missed.... :cry:

Check out the thunder snow being reported in Canton GA.

:(

The GFS has been giving a little dusting here and there to East TN norheastward - so that's not bad for me. Although, if I have the extra funds I may just take a weekend flight to somewhere in Canada for the hell of it.

I know you're both being silly - but it really irks me when people confuse a magnetic pole shift (which does very little) with an axis shift (which does a lot). Magnetic pole shifts have happened quite a bit in the history of the planet and life seems to adapt just fine. It won't effect the weather one iota.

Yeah, we're funnin', lol. I used to have a map with previous magnetic poles plotted. I'll have to look for that. That's another thing I'd like to see in this life :)

YOu can travel, but I have a feeling with the storm track such that it is, you'll be seeing some goodies up there soon! Tony

As proof of how much flip-flopping the GFS alone has done so far this month, here's what it has been showing regarding any sort of wintry precipitation chances around here during early next week (I apologize if this is somehow derailing the banter, and if I missed anything in between past runs):

If you recall, during New Year's the model showed every winter weenie's dream, which was a storm that dumped around 20 inches across a portion of western NC/SC and widespread major totals elsewhere (this was for the 17th). Then, as most of us would expect, it drops that solution and said not much of anything for a long while. Then as we get into this week, the GFS goes right back to showing another snowy hit (though not as massive) with the totals that we saw during the great 12z and 18z runs before it killed the chance on that following 0z run. Loses it for a day or so and now from yesterday it had put down light snow accumulations on its 6z, lost it on the 12z and 18z, and now says a possible minor CAD event. That folks is a prime example of model madness and with the way things have been progressing, there really isn't going to be a lock of anything as it stands now for a while longer. Let's just wait and see what happens once the current system affecting our region departs from here as to whether or not it becomes (at the most) somewhat clearer for next week.

I got to say though, it's really having a hard time deciding whether or not it wants to cut the Southeast a break with the 14th-18th period ever since the 1st but we'll see.

As proof of how much flip-flopping the GFS alone has done so far this month, here's what it has been showing regarding any sort of wintry precipitation chances around here during early next week (I apologize if this is somehow derailing the banter, and if I missed anything in between past runs):

If you recall, during New Year's the model showed every winter weenie's dream, which was a storm that dumped around 20 inches across a portion of western NC/SC and widespread major totals elsewhere (this was for the 17th). Then, as most of us would expect, it drops that solution and said not much of anything for a long while. Then as we get into this week, the GFS goes right back to showing another snowy hit (though not as massive) with the totals that we saw during the great 12z and 18z runs before it killed the chance on that following 0z run. Loses it for a day or so and now from yesterday it had put down light snow accumulations on its 6z, lost it on the 12z and 18z, and now says a possible minor CAD event. That folks is a prime example of model madness and with the way things have been progressing, there really isn't going to be a lock of anything as it stands now for a while longer. Let's just wait and see what happens once the current system affecting our region departs from here as to whether or not it becomes (at the most) somewhat clearer for next week.

I got to say though, it's really having a hard time deciding whether or not it wants to cut the Southeast a break with the 14th-18th period ever since the 1st but we'll see.

I'm with you. I don't think the story is over yet. And I haven't given up on the present system yet, for rain, but it will have to jump some hoops to get my totals up :) And there is a nice line forming even now, so nothing is written yet. T

I'm with you. I don't think the story is over yet. And I haven't given up on the present system yet, for rain, but it will have to jump some hoops to get my totals up :) And there is a nice line forming even now, so nothing is written yet. T

In the LR the GFS also had major changes such as blocking with cold air consistently dumping into the CONUS...now in the LR it's nowhere to be find. What a disaster.

While mourning the (apparent but still uncertain) passing of Winter I decided to go through the mail and lo and behold...a seed catalog!!

I love snow but give me a seed catalog and I'm like a 9 year old with one of those psp-thingys.

Hope does Spring eternal.

"No snow" you say? I guess little white flowers will have to suffice. :)

While mourning the (apparent but still uncertain) passing of Winter I decided to go through the mail and lo and behold...a seed catalog!!

I love snow but give me a seed catalog and I'm like a 9 year old with one of those psp-thingys.

Hope does Spring eternal.

"No snow" you say? I guess little white flowers will have to suffice. :)

I was wearing shorts on Christmas Eve, a tank top on New Years Eve, and on Jan 10th sweating while working in the yard cleaning up for spring! I'm ready to stick a seed or 2 in the ground just to see what will happen. I'm not feeling like there is a need to wait. The weeds certainly think it's spring. I had an azalea blooming 2 weeks ago and my creeping phlox have shown a blossom or 2 despite being covered for winter.

Yep. I blame them upper folks for most things :)

This pattern black hole is getting ridiculous, and I for one

canadaq.jpg

It's always the quiet ones you have to watch out for :unsure: .

welcome sir!

Wow..... glad I joined this board..... way more drama here lol then the others!!!!

I wanted to post this in the mid and long range thread yesterday.. I love this photo!

post-501-0-41648900-1326297027.jpg

Archived