• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
January Banter Thread

Psalm 148:8

I don't care if this gets me banned I'm going to say it. I think the decision to ban him for 48 hours was way too trigger happy. I have been sending PM's back and forth with him and he was about to call a truce. Here is what he told me and he said it was ok to relay this message from our PM's

Thanks for the kind words. I was actually about to post a truce, and then someone banned me from posting for two days. If you would, post this:

Here, here guys. I think both sides of this conversation feels attacked. Let's let cooler heads prevail...I'll take a few days off, get my red lettering, and maybe then some of this disrespect will vanish. I apologize for my perceived tone, it wasn't intentional. I just hate to see folks getting their hopes up for a pattern that isn't favorable for us. Let's all get back to what we love...weather. Peace.

We probably just lost him for good, I'm pretty upset with this whole deal although I seem to be in the minority here.. I think it was a big mistake to ban him even for 48 hours.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care if this gets me banned I'm going to say it. I think the decision to ban him for 48 hours was way too trigger happy. I have been sending PM's back and forth with him and he was about to call a truce. Here is what he told me and he said it was ok to relay this message from our PM's

We probably just lost him for good, I'm pretty upset with this whole deal although I seem to be in the minority here.. I think it was a big mistake to ban him even for 48 hours.

Sounds like you have a crush.

On Topic - Any reasoning in looking at the maps to tell what drives the beginning of a -NAO? If you can tell from looking at the maps, at what hour does that change begin to occur? All of this is very interesting. I actually agree that a healthy discussion about what does, and what typically precludes snow is good to have. I didnt' have a problem with the discussion, but the manner in which it was delivered was a bit beyond what we USUALLLY have on our fine weather board.

Hate to derail the banter, but going back to tn's question.....the first 2 images below are hr240 from today's 12z Euro. I've outlined the general location of where the NAO is calculated. Anytime you have significant ridging in this region (1st image), this equates to higher than normal heights - which you can see in the 2nd image showing height anomalies. Looking at RaleighWx's NAO calculation for the 12z Euro, you can see that the hr240 value is close to neutral, which makes sense given that the negative and positive height anomalies pretty much equal out in the NAO region of the 2nd image. The east vs. west based -NAO has to do with where the positive anomalies are centered....if centered generally west of Greenland, it's a west-based -NAO...if centered generally east of Greenland, it's an east-based -NAO. So, the best way to identify a -NAO is via the 500mb height anomaly maps, although it can also be garnered via ridging in the 500mb height maps. The third image shows a good example of a west-based -NAO from the Feb 1969 snowstorm. The west-based NAO places a vortex in far SE Canada which allows for cold high pressure to build in a favorable location over the Great Lakes in the confluent flow. With respect to today's Euro, the key is not only that the ridge goes up, but that it builds and holds firm. One thing I picked up from a recent post from Wes (usedtobe) on the main board is that he stated that high-latitude blocking has a tendency to retrograde west. So, we are seeing that some with the AK ridge...I can only assume that the same logic applies to NAO ridging...so that's something to watch as well.

euro240nao.gif

euro240naoan.gif

500ht1969.gif

I don't have any problem with a great deal of what he posted, but to be a brand new poster and call out a long time poster who is a met with a comment like, "do you even know what the NAO is?" is an obvious, directed, and intentional insult. That's why it escalated. Anyone with any amount of social sense would know that a comment like that would incite defense of the met by numerous posters and would make you look like a troll.

Posting comments on a message board and avoiding conflict aint that hard. And don't hand me that, "well that's just me" garbage either. It takes minimal effort to conduct ones self with humility, respect, and friendliness, even when disagreeing.

I'm not saying you're wrong and that I disagree with you assessment about the ban. But I don't think it's all that hard to imagine why this situation escalated. And it wasn't ALL Snow86.

I am not gonna waste a whole lotta time on this other than to say this. You lose alot of cred. in my book when you compare Dec 10 vs Dec 11 to come up with a 8.6° temp diff. in Raleigh.(*Dec 10 was the 3rd coldest on record in NC.) To prove a point. This place thrives because as a general rule egos are left at the door. He/She had a hard time with this concept. The red taggers here show alot of patience with posters who are less knowledgeable. Maybe I read him/her wrong but he seemed to be lacking in these traits. I have enough temper tantrums at home I don't need them here also.

* http://www.ncdc.noaa...ational/2010/12

He took a risk and got booted for it. I don't have a problem with his discussion at all but he was being a tad bit of a smart ass and we all know when you're new anywhere and like that sometimes you get heat for it. Sounds like he was going to take a break anyways so hopefully he'll take his lumps and come back. Most of us learned the trail by fire way...the annoying ones like me did anyways. :poster_stupid:

I think some of you should give him/her another chance and see how it goes.

Folks are quick to form opinions and as the old saying goes you only get one chance to make a first impression. This was my first time dealing with him and honestly, he seemed somewhat reasonable, but the fact is he derailed several pages of the mid-long range thread with posts unrelated to the mid-long range SE discussion. Many others were getting annoyed at it and for the sake of peace, pleasing the majority, TO was giveth.

Why would that get you banned? If a 48hr TO is enough to drive someone away from the board, wow, guess it was not really that important to them. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it, the part I underlined above though kind of affirms my suspicion that he was trolling/purposely derailing the disco. Never going to please everyone, Snow86 fans, don't worry, he gets another chance.

Folks are quick to form opinions and as the old saying goes you only get one chance to make a first impression. This was my first time dealing with him and honestly, he seemed somewhat reasonable, but the fact is he derailed several pages of the mid-long range thread with posts unrelated to the mid-long range SE discussion. Many others were getting annoyed at it and for the sake of peace, pleasing the majority, TO was giveth.

I think it was what he was saying that got people annoyed, not that the subject was inappropriate to the thread. The impact of the NAO are very relevant to the thread and had plenty of business being there. Hell, we are getting ready to go into a period of blocking in the med-long term for criss sakes.

Why would that get you banned? If a 48hr TO is enough to drive someone away from the board, wow, guess it was not really that important to them. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it, the part I underlined above though kind of affirms my suspicion that he was trolling/purposely derailing the disco. Never going to please everyone, Snow86 fans, don't worry, he gets another chance.

I thought relaying a message from a banned member would have been an issue, I'm glad it's not. Another chance or not, the guy is gone and I seriously doubt he returns. I don't think I would if I were him after the way he was treated. But I think the ban is what has made him decide to not return, I'm not him so I won't try and figure out what he is thinking but he made things pretty clear about that through PM.

I won't push the issue anymore, the last thing this forum needs is more drama at this point, but I think your actions are what will cause him to not return. The ban was too fast, next time a PM might be a better choice of weapons from your arsenal to combat discourse.

Could not agree more Don! After being around for 8+ years this (at least in the SE side) has rang true!

I am not gonna waste a whole lotta time on this other than to say this. You lose alot of cred. in my book when you compare Dec 10 vs Dec 11 to come up with a 8.6° temp diff. in Raleigh.(*Dec 10 was the 3rd coldest on record in NC.) To prove a point. This place thrives because as a general rule egos are left at the door. He/She had a hard time with this concept. The red taggers here show alot of patience with posters who are less knowledgeable. Maybe I read him/her wrong but he seemed to be lacking in these traits. I have enough temper tantrums at home I don't need them here also.

* http://www.ncdc.noaa...ational/2010/12

The ban was too fast, next time a PM might be a better choice of weapons from your arsenal to combat discourse.

What ban? For heavens sake, it was just a 48hr benching, giving his finger a break from the reply button and the dust a chance to settle in the mid range thread. If that is enough to drive him away so be it, most folks would chalk it up as a learning experience, and adjust accordingly.

*banter*

I am officially canceling the winter of 2011-2012. This will go down as one of the worst winters in recent memory for the SE. Any chance for sustained cold is likely pushed back to the first week of Feb, and given the general pattern in Dec/Jan, transient shots, no sustained this winter. Winter wx events will need to be timed about perfect with the lack of North Atlantic blocking. Spring comes early as the SE ridge begins to flex once again after Valentines Day.

*banter*

This sucks! :axe: Kind of expected though given 300% our seasonal avg last winter, and the winter before that.

I was even trying to be nice, asking him abut his degree, where he lives... and the 10 point suggestion post REALLY was a general statement and not directed toward him at all.

I'm old and crotchety and have a coffee cup that says "Born Grumpy" (with a dwarf) all over it... but I have learned a few social skills over my 56 years of living. Internet or not, there is NO excuse to be rude, arrogant, or come across with a "me or the highway" attitude. We're all here to learn and enjoy the weather, it doesn't have to be a soap opera, relax and have fun.

I think it was what he was saying that got people annoyed, not that the subject was inappropriate to the thread. The impact of the NAO are very relevant to the thread and had plenty of business being there. Hell, we are getting ready to go into a period of blocking in the med-long term for criss sakes.

I thought relaying a message from a banned member would have been an issue, I'm glad it's not. Another chance or not, the guy is gone and I seriously doubt he returns. I don't think I would if I were him after the way he was treated. But I think the ban is what has made him decide to not return, I'm not him so I won't try and figure out what he is thinking but he made things pretty clear about that through PM.

I won't push the issue anymore, the last thing this forum needs is more drama at this point, but I think your actions are what will cause him to not return. The ban was too fast, next time a PM might be a better choice of weapons from your arsenal to combat discourse.

You know I respect your input, and I've told you here and in private that I am rooting for you to sway him back. But I also, in fairness, relayed my opinion as to why the reaction happened. It didn't seem like the treatment was as one sided as implied.

I really do hope he comes back though.

I was going to comment about this boring weather and found a bunch of drama instead. So, with that,

This weather is boring and I'm not a fan of seeing the grass grow and having yellow jackets flying around outside in early January. Not normal.

Alright, resume the drama. :whistle:

Wow, what a read in this forum and the long-range forum!! I have to take time off from monitoring posts in order to attend meetings at work this afternoon and find better drama than primetime TV on my favorite weatherboard when I check back in at home to catch up. It was a little difficult to make out what happened in the long-range thread, but fortunately when posts are deleted, they still show up if they have been replied to, so I could decipher most of it! :thumbsup: I literally laughed out loud so that my wife noticed when I was reading different parts of the exchange. My take is that the tone of delivery is the all important factor on here. I respect the humbleness of some much more than the bragadociousness of others. Carry on, though, as I read some more.

Oh, and where's our snow?? :snowwindow:

Archived