NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD

0920Z SAT DEC 24 2011

DUE TO COMPUTATIONAL PROBLEMS, THE 06Z NCEP NAM FORECAST BEYOND

HOUR 42 IS RUNNING APPROXIMATELY 30-60 MINUTES LATE...OUR

PRODUCTION STAFF IS INVESTIGATING...OUR APOLOGIES FOR ANY

DIFFICULTY THIS MAY CAUSE...

$$

OREILLY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

If only is in reference to the trough moving in..

FYI 2 meter temperatures at 240 are 40 to about 50 from E central PA into NJ and SNE and ..inland in the 30s!

Remember 3 weeks back the Euro was showing that sort of setup 8-10 days out and was horribly wrong, of course back then we had the stubborn SE ridge and the GFS did not agree at all with the Euro's depictions, this time it may hold more merit.

The big difference between the GFS and ECMWF solutions between 8-10 days, is that ECMWF has flatter ridge over the Rockies. While the GFS has more amplified ridge over the Rockies. A flat ridge would gives less cold weather and no major winter storms. While amplified ridge would gives us more cold and possibly winter storms. The models are typically awful with placement of PNA ridge, at this range. But with the AK vortex, still there, I like a flatter ridge:

2nty5gp.jpg

Around day 10, the Euro ensemble 500 mb pattern is closer to what we have been seeing so far with more ridging

over SE Canada and the Northeast. My guess is that any post frontal cool down is transient with all

the mild air back to our west. The 500mb pattern actually matches up with the 96 hr forecast for this week with a

warm storm solution followed by a cool down than a return to milder.

96 hr

240hr

It figures that last mid February, I finally broke down and brought a snow blower and it doesn't look like I'll get much use, if any, this winter.

Good thing they don't expire. :)

I'm sure you'll get some use at some point. Though people will be looking at you funny as you snowblow 3 inches of snow :scooter:

Around day 10, the Euro ensemble 500 mb pattern is closer to what we have been seeing so far with more ridging

over SE Canada and the Northeast. My guess is that any post frontal cool down is transient with all

the mild air back to our west. The 500mb pattern actually matches up with the 96 hr forecast for this week with a

warm storm solution followed by a cool down than a return to milder.

96 hr

240hr

Seems reasonable. Every cold spell so far has been transient under this pattern, and with no change in sight through the medium range, the pattern should continue to favor these transient cool/cold sells followed by more warmth. Hopefully we can get a bit of snow later on in the medium-long range with at least one of these transient cold spells...

Seems reasonable. Every cold spell so far has been transient under this pattern, and with no change in sight through the medium range, the pattern should continue to favor these transient cool/cold sells followed by more warmth. Hopefully we can get a bit of snow later on in the medium-long range with at least one of these transient cold spells...

I agree with bluewave's post. Also the GFS is stretching the 70mb warm anomalies into SE Canada and NE US. Causing the vortex to be displaced into the other side of the pole. The would keep flow more progressive and with Pacific flooding the CONUS, in early January:

Yeah, it's tough to go against persistence as long as the AO stays positive.

Pretty big shift in the GFS for the Tuesday storm. Now has the low passing through south Jersey and then offshore, still all rain (except maybe a little snow on the back end) but a large shift none the less. Also brought that miller b/clipper potential a little more into view. Now has a light snowfall for the area pending surface temps.

Amazing the difference a year makes, huh?

This has to take the cake for the most dramatic year to year change in the AO.

Interestingly enough, we saw the huge flip last February into the spring. I think

the summer going negative again was leading us to believe we would be seeing

blocking by now. By October and November you could tell it was going to

be different.

Archived