Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now if only we could get a few runs in a row of this. I still like the period around New Year's.

It looks like the New Years Eve timeframe will be interesting. A lot of shortwaves running around on the models with a decent high pressure in Quebec. The GEFS have also hinting at something around this timeframe.

Tonight's 00z GFS run is probably the best I've seen so far this meteorological winter in terms of the D 10+ H5 pattern. If you scroll through the entire run, note the two distinct pieces of the vortex, one near Greenland, and the other over Alaska. The vortex that's been sedentary to the west of Greenland finally shakes loose, and we begin seeing the first signs of height rises poking into Greenland. Zonal regime turns more meridional. They may be transient at first, but getting periodic height rises up through there is important as it signals the powerful, persistent +NAO signal is reaching its demise, and at the very least, we'll see a return to more neutral NAO and AO values by week 2. Some of the ensemble members off the 18z run actually became quite bullish on the idea of a -AO/-NAO by week 2; I'm interested to see the 00z. I don't believe it's fantasy either, although it's far out in time, the gradual weakening and splitting of the vortex is supported by the stratospheric warming/solar induced perturbation of it. I think a negative AO/NAO could be fair game by the second week of January, and the first week of January looks much more interesting than the coming 5-7 days in terms of cold/snow.

Until I see more runs like this and other models showing similar, I'm not getting excited. At least it's as good as the 18z GFS.

Important not to get carried away. Yes, the last several GFS runs have shown some slight improvement with a little more ridging out west and intermittent/transient blocking in the North Atlantic, but timing would have to perfect to get anything really significant here with each system now appearing to be a very fast mover. And we're probably not quite cold enough at the surface for at least the first event/s/non-event/s in the series.

WX/PT

Tonight's 00z GFS run is probably the best I've seen so far this meteorological winter in terms of the D 10+ H5 pattern. If you scroll through the entire run, note the two distinct pieces of the vortex, one near Greenland, and the other over Alaska. The vortex that's been sedentary to the west of Greenland finally shakes loose, and we begin seeing the first signs of height rises poking into Greenland. Zonal regime turns more meridional. They may be transient at first, but getting periodic height rises up through there is important as it signals the powerful, persistent +NAO signal is reaching its demise, and at the very least, we'll see a return to more neutral NAO and AO values by week 2. Some of the ensemble members off the 18z run actually became quite bullish on the idea of a -AO/-NAO by week 2; I'm interested to see the 00z. I don't believe it's fantasy either, although it's far out in time, the gradual weakening and splitting of the vortex is supported by the stratospheric warming/solar induced perturbation of it. I think a negative AO/NAO could be fair game by the second week of January, and the first week of January looks much more interesting than the coming 5-7 days in terms of cold/snow.

:thumbsup:

Important not to get carried away. Yes, the last several GFS runs have shown some slight improvement with a little more ridging out west and intermittent/transient blocking in the North Atlantic, but timing would have to perfect to get anything really significant here with each system now appearing to be a very fast mover. And we're probably not quite cold enough at the surface for at least the first event/s/non-event/s in the series.

WX/PT

I think all of us would be happy with light to moderate events for now, compared to this past month.

most of the gfs improvements occur during the day 10-15 period in terms of breaking up the PV. Euro only goes out to day 10 but it has a massive trough along the east coast at the end of the run.

I thought i read above that the GFS has some sort of "snow" event at 180-192 hrs..New Years eve? That is what i was referring to!

Archived