• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

Well the 12z GFS is running, time to see if we can pull of an upset.

The AO is what's going to kill this winter. With this feature being positive the polar jet with the associated shortwaves are way too quick to amplify with the STJ shortwaves. Unitil we can relax the SE ridge, and allow for a slower northern stream, then we could start talking about possible winter type storm threats.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has a apps runner for the 27th. Great, more rain.

That's an April map..I mean there is no cold air anywhere..01-02 the holiday season featured at least below normal temps and massive lake effect snow for a week..I really can't compare this December to any in my lifetime..It has been the worst for any kind of winter weather..and I go back 53 years..just amazing

Just because dec is below normal in snowfall doesnt mean the winter will be too. Likely that this jan /fEB WILL HAVE ABOVE NORMAL SNOWFALL FOR THE NORTHEAST AREA . I expect the I-95 area still to have above normal snowfall this winter season. I expect least two blizzard this winter for the I-95 area . Enjoy now because pay back is coming .

Just because dec is below normal in snowfall doesnt mean the winter will be too. Likely that this jan /fEB WILL HAVE ABOVE NORMAL SNOWFALL FOR THE NORTHEAST AREA . I expect the I-95 area still to have above normal snowfall this winter season. I expect least two blizzard this winter for the I-95 area . Enjoy now because pay back is coming .

The Blizz has spoken. :hug:

It' doesn't completely phase or really transfer, on the 27th. The 992mb low over Ontario kills the snow threat for much of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Yep, no cold air source to our north.

Yep, the low goes right over NYC. What we have going for us is the NAO. It's trending downward

Look at the maps...it's a transient ridge that moves through the central and eastern NAO regions after Day 5 that makes it look like the NAO is going negative.

Almost every ensemble mean builds the PV back over Greenland by Day 10.

Faithfully yours

Look at the maps...it's a transient ridge that moves through the central and eastern NAO regions after Day 5 that makes it look like the NAO is going negative.

So what you are saying is, im a fast learner, there are still zero signs of a pattern change...

Lets be honest.

You can blame the PV and AO all you want, but the real reason there are bugs flying around and its hasnt been below freezing in forever is because of the dead bird in Sundog's sig.

I'm starting a petition. Remove the bird...or else

THIS. We started to make progress till he put that thing up. Total HEX.

Example for Anthony:

See that Yellow colored H (306) up north in eastern Greenland? That would cause the -nao chart and graphs to show a temporary -nao. While in reality it is a -nao at that time, it quickly gets moved out:

Hour 144 (temporaty -nao):

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH144.gif

Hour 168 (still there but starting to move out):

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH168.gif

Hour 192 (gone...Back to a +nao):

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH192.gif

Is that better Anthony? You see it now?

Example for Anthony:

See that Yellow colored H (306) up north in eastern Greenland? That would cause the -nao chart and graphs to show a temporary -nao. While in reality it is a -nao at that time, it quickly gets movef out:

Hour 144 (temporaty -nao):

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH144.gif

Hour 168 (still there but starting to move out):

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH168.gif

Hour 192 (gone...Back to a +nao):

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH192.gif

Is that better Anthony? You see it now?

Now I see it. Why would the maps be different though?

Basically what he's trying to say is that although those three maps show a ridge near Greenland at different times, it doesn't have an effect on us because it's moving too fast. So while it will technically register as a neutral or maybe negative NAO on the data, it does nothing for us synoptically.

What do you mean different?

The -nao graphs you use calculate mathematically the nao value. At hour 144 and 168, it technically is a -nao value, but as you can see, its not a true -nao and just a temporary high that quikcly gets kicked out.

Archived