Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did the poll later last year...and the Dec 26 event occurred as the poll was going on. So we suddenly got a million votes for that event, and it was the winner.

What we decided to do later in the winter though was put together a post on all the snowstorms that had occurred: http://nymetrowx.blo...ehind-this.html

And we put together this awesome image

tRLyB.png

ahh, ok... interesting.. I didn't realize you did the poll last year too. That image is awesome! Major drooling!

ahh, ok... interesting.. I didn't realize you did the poll last year too. That image is awesome! Major drooling!

its rare to see even 1 of those per winter, last year we saw it 3 times and then a bunch of 3-5" events in between to keep the snow pack fresh. Epic

12z Euro has a miller B for NNE on Christmas and another coastal at 168 hour. It's warm for the coast at 168 though.

I'm not seeing anything really on Christmas day.. the day after a storm forms well offshore.. Agree with you on the second one.. it's very warm... even away from the coast, it's looking rather warm.

I have been liking the first or second week of January for awhile now, the tail end of the 12z GFS is interesting to me. Building Western Atlantic heights, a ridge out west, and a piece of the PV almost looks to break off and try to phase in, could be interesting. Too bad it will completely change on the next run :axe:

gfs_namer_372_500_vort_ht.gif

Roughly half of the ensembles show the same sort of thing as well. We'd need to see that same scenario 4-5 runs straight with the ensembles more or less agreeing before I get too excited. But that shift is what would need to happen to stop flooding Canada with warm air, kick the vortex back into the Bering Strait and the ridge come over AK.

We did the poll later last year...and the Dec 26 event occurred as the poll was going on. So we suddenly got a million votes for that event, and it was the winner.

What we decided to do later in the winter though was put together a post on all the snowstorms that had occurred: http://nymetrowx.blo...ehind-this.html

And we put together this awesome image

tRLyB.png

Jan 11-12th just needed 6-7 hours earlier, then we would have been pasted with 20 ro 25 inches.....

Why haven't you donated?

in this economy there are more important things to spend your money on, if you don't have much of it. how about this board throws me 20 bucks? i think we get enough traffic here that the board could be self sustaining with relatively noninvasive advertising. simple banners on the top or side, with no pop ups, I think would be a fair compromise.

in this economy there are more important things to spend your money on, if you don't have much of it. how about this board throws me 20 bucks? i think we get enough traffic here that the board could be self sustaining with relatively noninvasive advertising. simple banners on the top or side, with no pop ups, I think would be a fair compromise.

He was joking.

And no one asked for a $20 donation.

Even $2 is fine.

Winter forecast seriously beginning to have some strong doubts with colder and snowier. Unlike last year we have a Weak La Nina & with all the other teleconnections outside of the AO & NAO..would seemingly HAD support a colder and snowier winter. However..it almost appears as if we are having a lagging effect from last years much stronger La Nina despite being a "weak la Nina!" No blocking and no - NAO and no true-AO and until that changes ..which i see nothing at this point indicating that with the MJO now in phase 4...the warmer winter forecasts are going to verify..Lets hope we see a colder Feb into March that seems like the saving grace at this time..If not..Oy Vey!

Winter forecast seriously beginning to have some strong doubts with colder and snowier. Unlike last year we have a Weak La Nina & with all the other teleconnections outside of the AO & NAO..would seemingly HAD support a colder and snowier winter. However..it almost appears as if we are having a lagging effect from last years much stronger La Nina despite being a "weak la Nina!" No blocking and no - NAO and no true-AO and until that changes ..which i see nothing at this point indicating that with the MJO now in phase 5...the warmer winter forecasts are going to verify..Lets hope we see a colder Feb into March that seems like the saving grace at this time..If not..Oy Vey!

This was the reason that I went mild and snowless in my winter forecast. That lag effect is often severely underestimated, it sure was last winter which I believe is why the AO was so negative. The SSTs near Greenland were not great in September, alot of people felt though they were still good enough for a -NAO but I was highly skeptical of that idea and now they've turned downright putrid due to the never ending train of lows going across the N ATL. I think as someone in the other thread said we've got til about 1/15, if we don't get or clearly see a sign of a turnaround by then I don't think its happening this year, not even for a 2-3 week stretch at that.

the forward speed of the system was what kept this from being heavier for us, not the speed at which it intensified.

KDIX_20110112-06Z.gif

I remember it zoomed out up to about the Sagtikos Parkway, but then snow lingered from there east for many more hours, as the storm matured. That's why snow amounts in places like Port Jefferson and Upton were roughly double mine (I had around 9-10" and they had upwards of 18").

the 20+ amounts fell over new england because the comma head pivoted over them

unfortunately i wasnt living up here yet but 2ft+ amounts being under the NW quadrant megaband was awesome to look at on radar. my gf couldnt believe it when she woke up the next morning. she thought for sure she was going into work lol.

I remember it zoomed out up to about the Sagtikos Parkway, but then snow lingered from there east for many more hours, as the storm matured. That's why snow amounts in places like Port Jefferson and Upton were roughly double mine (I had around 9-10" and they had upwards of 18").

it basically hooked in from off the coast...and then if you were under that NW band, you were toast. There was also another superband that straddled the CT river valley through most of next morning. I believe it was a Miller B or a hybrid but acted very much like a miller B. NE of NYC usually do best in those.

Archived