• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

We also had some snow and cold in Dec '07. This is more like Dec 06-Jan 07...absolutely nothing

07-08 was the absolute worst. The only real threat was the January 2008 one that turned out to be nothing. Also, behind our cold rain events and scrapers to the east, we had bitter cold and dry air. We also had the eye-gouging pleasure of watching I-90 get buried time and time again under SWFE's that rained on us or gave us a sleet/slop mess. The only worse winter I can think of was 01-02. It's bad enough not getting snow, but missing it so frequently by so short a distance is worse.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have fully accepted the fact this winter is going to be a big turd.....the only storm I have track was back in october.......07-08 it reminds me of.....although that winter the midwest/lakes region had a snowy year

07-08 started off way better than this winter has started off. December 2007 actually had several minor snow events, and there were actually events to track. This December there's been zilch. This has been hands down the worst December around here since 2006.

07-08 started off way better than this winter has started off. December 2007 actually had several minor snow events, and there were actually events to track. This December there's been zilch. This has been hands down the worst December around here since 2006.

My location got 0.5 of sleet in december 07......06 got a half inch of snow.......from the clipper to remember as there will not be many.....jb famous words.......

07-08 was the absolute worst. The only real threat was the January 2008 one that turned out to be nothing. Also, behind our cold rain events and scrapers to the east, we had bitter cold and dry air. We also had the eye-gouging pleasure of watching I-90 get buried time and time again under SWFE's that rained on us or gave us a sleet/slop mess. The only worse winter I can think of was 01-02. It's bad enough not getting snow, but missing it so frequently by so short a distance is worse.

The February 22, 2008 event was a good one and an overperformer; a widespread 6-8'' for the NYC metro. That event saved that winter from being considered terrible in my book, although it still was pretty bad.

The February 22, 2008 event was a good one and an overperformer; a widespread 6-8'' for the NYC metro. That event saved that winter from being considered terrible in my book, although it still was pretty bad.

Jackpoted with that storm. 11 inches.

Knew it when it got down to like 19 degrees two hours before the precip rolled in that it was going to over perform.

My location got 0.5 of sleet in december 07......06 got a half inch of snow.......from the clipper to remember as there will not be many.....jb famous words.......

I remember several events where I lived in Bridgewater: a storm on December 2 that gave a quick inch of snow before changing to rain, a lake effect snow squall on 12/4 that dropped maybe half an inch, the 12/5 clipper that gave another inch of snow, an event on 12/13 which dropped maybe half an inch to an inch of sleet/snow before changing to rain, and another storm on 12/15-16 that dropped a couple inches of sleet. Not a bad month at all actually as far as Decembers are concerned; at least back then there was some cold air to work with.

Yeah Dec 06-Jan 07 were 2 of the worst back to back winter months I can recall. Even the 2 storms we did get in Feb and March were mostly sleet. Very little actual snow fell that winter. 07-08 wasn't incredible but had a few events to track and gave us a nice 6"+ storm on 2/22

I remember several events where I lived in Bridgewater: a storm on December 2 that gave a quick inch of snow before changing to rain, a lake effect snow squall on 12/4 that dropped maybe half an inch, the 12/5 clipper that gave another inch of snow, an event on 12/13 which dropped maybe half an inch to an inch of sleet/snow before changing to rain, and another storm on 12/15-16 that dropped a couple inches of sleet. Not a bad month at all actually as far as Decembers are concerned; at least back then there was some cold air to work with.

Yeah Dec 06-Jan 07 were 2 of the worst back to back winter months I can recall. Even the 2 storms we did get in Feb and March were mostly sleet. Very little actual snow fell that winter. 07-08 wasn't incredible but had a few events to track and gave us a nice 6"+ storm on 2/22

Yeah I think I'd actually rank 06-07 below 07-08. I didn't even see any accumulating snow that winter until a minor localized event on January 28 which dropped like 2.5'' of snow. After that I think I only got a couple inches of additional snow; everything else was sleet. So really I only had about 4.5'' inches of actual snow that winter...pathetic. That 5'' sleet storm on March 16 was pretty cool though; that was definitely something I've never experienced before and may never experience again.

Maybe some real signs of help over the poles in Januay? I think the calls for January to blow are very premature. Could start seeing real progress after the first of the year.

maybe even a connection between ridging over western canada up to the pole like isotherm was speaking about.

GFS tries to build some heights south of Greenland in the very long range, end of first week of Jan. As a lakes cutter swings around the base of a hudson bay low, (thanks trials for that lesson), but its the GFS at 360hr+++ so....

there is more hope than just that, i like the displacement of the pv and potential ridge connection out west

I have been liking the first or second week of January for awhile now, the tail end of the 12z GFS is interesting to me. Building Western Atlantic heights, a ridge out west, and a piece of the PV almost looks to break off and try to phase in, could be interesting. Too bad it will completely change on the next run :axe:

gfs_namer_372_500_vort_ht.gif

if you guys are interested, we're accepting open nominations for the weather event of the year in 2011 on my personal blog/organization. just go here and reply if you want to vote. myself and a few others will do a case study on the winning event. so it could be pretty awesome.

oh and if you don't have facebook or twitter, go here and reply at the bottom.

if you guys are interested, we're accepting open nominations for the weather event of the year in 2011 on my personal blog/organization. just go here and reply if you want to vote. myself and a few others will do a case study on the winning event. so it could be pretty awesome.

oh and if you don't have facebook or twitter, go here and reply at the bottom.

I vote for the earthquake

lol.... would have been interesting if you had the poll at this same date last year.... Wonder how many would've hedged their bets on an event that hadn't even occurred yet.

We did the poll later last year...and the Dec 26 event occurred as the poll was going on. So we suddenly got a million votes for that event, and it was the winner.

What we decided to do later in the winter though was put together a post on all the snowstorms that had occurred: http://nymetrowx.blogspot.com/2011/02/understanding-processes-behind-this.html

And we put together this awesome image

tRLyB.png

Archived