Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

Definitely a colder run for SNE.

Even down to central CT, there is some snow.

Surface temp profile is 8-10 degrees colder for the coast.

I'll be in the Catskills this weekend, so I am very thrilled with what the NAM just showed.

you sound like earthlight with his thanksgiving skiing, that turned into mud wrestling.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<Laughs at all the depressing posts based on a few bad weeks>

I don't think you can call yourself a hardcore NYC winter weather fan unless you lived through the 1970's and 1980's in the area....

I grew up in Central Jersey from 74-92 and then moved thousands of miles away. How many KU storms have I missed since then? :axe:

On the bright side, the lack of snow created a lifelong obsession for me, and has made me appreciate every single flake that falls from the sky!

I grew up in Central Jersey from 74-92 and then moved thousands of miles away. How many KU storms have I missed since then? :axe:

On the bright side, the lack of snow created a lifelong obsession for me, and has made me appreciate every single flake that falls from the sky!

You stuck around for the worst stretch of winter weather this area had seen in recorded history. The last ten years have been nothing short of epic.

Where do you live now? You couldn't have picked a worse time to leave, the 2000s were heavan in central NJ and you missed the 30"+ blizzard in 96. Although the 80s were'nt too bad, a few good years in there.

You stuck around for the worst stretch of winter weather this area had seen in recorded history. The last ten years have been nothing short of epic.

Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :lol: At least I was home for the Blizzard of '96 and last year's Boxing Day storm. I've been following the countless other storms on this board (and Eastern) and have really enjoyed them vicariously through you guys!

Where do you live now? You couldn't have picked a worse time to leave, the 2000s were heavan in central NJ and you missed the 30"+ blizzard in 96. Although the 80s were'nt too bad, a few good years in there.

Seattle.

I definitely can't complain since I can usually take a short drive and see nipple-deep snow. December 2008 wasn't bad here either. There's nothing like a nice blizzard back home though.

I'll be in NJ from tomorrow to Jan 1 - a miracle snowstorm is all I want from Santa this year.

Guess it depends on how one defines a non-clunker year. I define it as a total snowfall at least two SDs above normal. :)

Yeah I guess if you expect every year to be 40"+, then most are going to be clunkers. For me a clunker means well below average, probably less than 20". 20-30" I consider bad, but not mind-numbing agony.

Seattle.

I definitely can't complain since I can usually take a short drive and see nipple-deep snow. December 2008 wasn't bad here either. There's nothing like a nice blizzard back home though.

I'll be in NJ from tomorrow to Jan 1 - a miracle snowstorm is all I want from Santa this year.

Ok, at least you're not in Orlando or something. You've got big snow all around you in Seattle.

2008-09 was overall a clunker year; the March 2009 storm took some pain off that year.

You have extremely skewed expectations if you think that year was a clunker--it was great. We had constant snow threats from early December through early February, with a slew of 2-4" events (and 5" right before Christmas).

You have extremely skewed expectations if you think that year was a clunker--it was great. We had constant snow threats from early December through early February, with a slew of 2-4" events (and 5" right before Christmas).

Exactly. It was a very good winter with storm after storm. There were no KUs but who cares. It was constant snow threats and above average snow for NYC and well above average for LI.

Well, I live in Southern Brooklyn, so I ended up being more south on the SWFE gradients. Thus, I ended up with more rain than Queens and Manhattan during those storms.

Brooklyn got around 25" as well. Which is average.

An average winter can not be considered a "clunker".

Yeah I guess if you expect every year to be 40"+, then most are going to be clunkers. For me a clunker means well below average, probably less than 20". 20-30" I consider bad, but not mind-numbing agony.

Meh, I just want NYC to be on-par with Sapporo, Japan's snowfall average; since that is one of the very few metropolitan cities (similar to population density as NYC) in the world that average more snow each year than NYC. However, I know it's a big long shot.

over the last 20 years the city has nine years with 35" of snow or more...nine had less than 20"...two had near average snowfall (24-28")...11 years had a storm 10" or more...five had a storm 19" or more...

the bad...

1991-92

1994-95

1996-97

1997-98

1998-99

1999-00

2001-02

2006-07

2007-08

I actually consider 2008 - 2009 a good year, after living through 1989 - 1992 and 1997 - 2000, 26.8" for 08/09 was quite good considering IMBY, had at least 1" on the ground for just about the entire month of Jan. Even 2005 - 2006 was above average snow fall despite its torchyness. Had 31" that year. The few cold snaps we had were snow filled.

2000-01, 2001-02, 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2008-09 were all clunker years....so it only boils down to 5 epic years.

No,yes,yes,yes and no.

2008-2009 was not a clunker in NYC. NYC was close to 30". Queens saw 30-35" and LI saw 35"-45".

Agree. I received 28 inches that winter. Not a bad winter.

Well, I live in Southern Brooklyn, so I ended up being more south on the SWFE gradients. Thus, I ended up with more rain than Queens and Manhattan during those storms.

We live in the same area. That winter featured a lot of nickle and dime events in January.

Archived