• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

most people here weren't born my friend, so not sure it helps.

Anyway, even if we get no more snow this winter, nothing to complain about given what we have experienced from December 2009 through October 31 2011

I was just about to be born, but most people have an idea what happened that year. I'm not pulling out something from the 1910s.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only used 1983 as an example as a one-trick pony winter, because most people here can remember that.

A couple of breaks and 1982-83 could have been a very good winter snow wise...December 11-12, 1982 featured a 3 - 7 inch storm from NYC east...with the heaviest amounts towards Montauk. Had it hugged the coast a bit more...who knows...it brought 14" to Nantucket and temps were never a problem...generally mid-20s throughout the event...

January 15, 1983 WSW's were issued for NYC...but the questionable computer guidance of the period didn't account for a few odd factors...and the storm brought just an inch of slush to NYC...though nearly 2 feet to the Berkshires and Albany...

February 6, 1983 featured a major Noreaster...but it hugged the coast a bit too much...with the Low passing close to Kennedy Airport and turning 2 to 5 inches of snow into miserable slop...and once again burying Albany...this time with 16 inches and about the same in Worcester.

To top it off, on April 19, 1983, another Low formed near Hatteras and brought 1 to 3 inches of snow to the NYC area...but again stayed too near the coast and eventually changed to rain...this time Albany also went over to rain...but not before adding about eight additional inches of snow to their seasonal total...this storm was a major bust in most of New England...but great for the Poconos, Catskills, and NW Jersey....

A couple of breaks and 1982-83 could have been a very good winter snow wise...December 11-12, 1982 featured a 3 - 7 inch storm from NYC east...with the heaviest amounts towards Montauk. Had it hugged the coast a bit more...who knows...it brought 14" to Nantucket and temps were never a problem...generally mid-20s throughout the event...

January 15, 1983 WSW's were issued for NYC...but the questionable computer guidance of the period didn't account for a few odd factors...and the storm brought just an inch of slush to NYC...though nearly 2 feet to the Berkshires and Albany...

February 6, 1983 featured a major Noreaster...but it hugged the coast a bit too much...with the Low passing close to Kennedy Airport and turning 2 to 5 inches of snow into miserable slop...and once again burying Albany...this time with 16 inches.T

To top it off, on April 19, 1983, another Low formed near Hatteras and brought 1 to 3 inches of snow to the NYC area...but again stayed too near the coast and eventually changed to rain...this time Albany also went over to rain...but not before adding about eight additional inches of snow to their seasonal total...this storm was a major bust in most of New England...but great for the Poconos, Catskills, and NW Jersey....

near miss right after the blizzard as well. Almost developed the exact same way.

the 2001-02 winter was a warm dry one...So far this year is a warm wet one... As long as it stays wet or average precipitation we have a chance for a big snow...This year might turn out to be a one week winter similar to 2007-08 or 1974-75...

I will gladly take sleet storms in this pattern.

You know what's even more depressing? Even the lows will struggle to get down to freezing in the next 5-7 days as of now and you can forget about hitting the freezing mark in the city.

Possibly... but remember last friday had a forecast of high temps in the low 40's for this past Sunday and we wound up with highs below freezing.

I find the Dec 26 thread depressing, I don't even want to look. So much fun compared to this crap.

I started the Dec. 26 thread to give us luck for something that might materialize in the January - April 2012 time frame. Ian (board administrator) started a similar thread in the Mid-Atlantic sub-forum last year when DC was experiencing a bad pattern in late 2010 after their blockbuster 2009-2010 year. The Dec. 26 thread is designed to stave off any boredom and depression. In fact, I get very giddy similar to when I see a schoolgirl when I flashback to last year's 12/26/2010 event. :D

Turns out I was really lucky to have posted some images from my model archive from last December in the thread... my computer suddenly crashed this afternoon and died with my backup mysteriously lost - I lost all of my weather files, including my model archieves, my experiments on the pattern this fall, daily weather records since 2006... I have a few basic weather links memorized such as Raleighwx, obviously the NWS, and wunderground, but I lost pretty much everything else. I'm trying to rebuild my weather files, while I have a few of them I would really appreciate it if I could have some of the other weather links so at least I can have somewhere to start from...

Are you serious? What did you use for your backup?

Whether he ends up right or wrong at least he doesnt flip flop with every different model run. Sticks to his guns in what he believes will truly happen unlike many. The idea that he does this for subscribers doesn't make much sense since his credibility is on the line. If he's wrong too many times people won't subscribe in the first place and won't pay attention to him anyway. Nobody puts a gun to your head to subscribe to anything. I enjoy reading everybody's opinions and predictions but the bashing is a turn off. Some will be right and some will be wrong. Some see it one way and some see it another way and that's the way it will always be because weather will continue to be very challenging however the bashing is simply pathetic.

Just eyeballing 0z Nam...looks like Boston goes over to a period of snow Friday AM as cold air at the surface is drawn in from the NE...perhaps even as far SW as Providence, too.

At least it's getting closer...

Whether he ends up right or wrong at least he doesnt flip flop with every different model run. Sticks to his guns in what he believes will truly happen unlike many. The idea that he does this for subscribers doesn't make much sense since his credibility is on the line. If he's wrong too many times people won't subscribe in the first place and won't pay attention to him anyway. Nobody puts a gun to your head to subscribe to anything. I enjoy reading everybody's opinions and predictions but the bashing is a turn off. Some will be right and some will be wrong. Some see it one way and some see it another way and that's the way it will always be because weather will continue to be very challenging however the bashing is simply pathetic.

Well, his track record speaks for itself, and to be honest, weenies will pay anyone if they are told they will get snow time and time again, just how it is.

Just eyeballing 0z Nam...looks like Boston goes over to a period of snow Friday AM as cold air at the surface is drawn in from the ne...perhaps even as far sw as Providence, too.

At least it's getting closer...

Definitely a colder run for SNE.

Even down to central CT, there is some snow.

Surface temp profile is 8-10 degrees colder for the coast around NYC to start. 18z had temps of 50-56 to start and 0z has 44-48 to start. Still rain, obviously, as column doesn't cool until precip is done.

I'll be in the Catskills this weekend, so I am very thrilled with what the NAM just showed.

Archived