Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Roger Smith?

Due to the nature of this forecast, I will make it very brief. The annual number crunch for my research method reveals a very mild pattern for the Great Lakes and northeast lasting through much of December and January, but a flip-flop to a very cold pattern by end of February into March. This seems a lot like 1967 as an analogue, so it suggests the wait for big-time winter storms may require patience, but could eventually be rewarded, by a developing strong storm track dropping south from a position through the Great Lakes in late January to the east coast in February.

I'm telling you man, I don't like that modelling is beginning to get more consistent with this vortex signature over Alaska. If this comes to frution, I may pull the plug. And by pull the plug, I mean abandon a winter with near-above normal snowfall. A feature like this developing once again could potentially smash January over the head with a 2 by 4 rendering us miserable. Compared to last winter it's been so damn depressing reading these threads and looking at modelling lately. Do I believe it? Not yet, the signal's too far away. But I'd rather not seeit at all ,that's for sure.

I agree. I've noticed, also, that historically you can often get the PV to re establish even after a brief split/disintegration. So if that Alaska death vortex were to come to fruition, we could be in serious trouble.

Look on the bright side. At least we won't have to deal with bitterly cold and dry air behind rainstorms like we did back in 2007-08. This pattern would engulf the whole US with so much Pacific air that there would be barely any cold air below Hudson Bay, unless people actually like frigid dry air w/no snowcover. In my opinion, if there's no threat of any snow, let it at least be mild so I can walk outside.

Well, you see, the thing is...I'm one of those sick twisted freaks that enjoys the cold almost as much as snow. :lol: So to me I'd rather have 30s as highs over 50s in the middle winter. We have plenty of warmth as it is the rest of the year. As for walking around - just bundle up; it's not bad.

Well, you see, the thing is...I'm one of those sick twisted freaks that enjoys the cold almost as much as snow. :lol: So to me I'd rather have 30s as highs over 50s in the middle winter. We have plenty of warmth as it is the rest of the year. As for walking around - just bundle up; it's not bad.

It's only bad if it gets windy.

This December really goes to show that blocking, for our area, is much more important than ENSO state. Last Dec we had a strong -NAO with a powerful Nina, and no SE ridge whatsoever. This year we've got a weak nina - not impressive at all - and the SE ridge has been dominating from FL to ME due to the lack of blocking. Floridians are experiencing a significantly warmer Dec than the past 2 years down there - temps consistently in the 80s lately compared to 50s/60s the last 2 winters.

I am with you on that. :thumbsup:

Things indeed look bleak now but I am holding on to what you are expecting per your winter forecast and am going down with the ship lol.

This December really goes to show that blocking, for our area, is much more important than ENSO state. Last Dec we had a strong -NAO with a powerful Nina, and no SE ridge whatsoever. This year we've got a weak nina - not impressive at all - and the SE ridge has been dominating from FL to ME due to the lack of blocking. Floridians are experiencing a significantly warmer Dec than the past 2 years down there - temps consistently in the 80s lately compared to 50s/60s the last 2 winters.

I've been saying that for a long time.

may want to check your nina numbers, isn't it moderate now?

Glenn Schwartz had 30-40" forecast for Philly this winter, I wonder what's going through his head right now. I feel like he's been making a revision almost every year around new Years.

Can't forecast too specifically that far into the future. More correctly an outlook. The hurricane gurus finally admitted it..

Archived