Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep.. it's not looking particularly great at this time.. it's worth keeping an eye out though... if we could thread the needle on a late October event, you never know.

would not surprise me if the euro loses this for the 25th and brings it in later as a stronger system on the 27th

would not surprise me if the euro loses this for the 25th and brings it in later as a stronger system on the 27th

that'd pretty much be our last window of opportunity.. I've been ranting about this potential ugly pattern coming around New Year's.. the only good news is the blowtorch temps have been tempered, but it's not a good looking set-up around and just after New Year's.. at least, the way it looks now... any major amplification pretty much is gone

Surface temps on wunderground show the city area with a temp of 35-40 degrees for the storm.

SNE cools down enough to give them some wet snow.

and the 0 line goes north of nyc for a time so its raining at some point

irish rob and snwyx would probably get 2-4 on that

And the Euro is almost always 3-4 degrees too warm with the surface temperatures in these types of situations. I don't know why everyone is whining here. The only basic difference is that the Euro weakened the storm a bit and as a result cut back on the precip, which increased temperatures slightly. Small changes here and you end up back with the previous solution of the Euro. The placement of the low pressure center is off the NJ coast only slightly further than before and it is weaker. If you strengthen that low a little more you will also get the colder temperatures.

Surface temps on wunderground show the city area with a temp of 35-40 degrees for the storm.

SNE cools down enough to give them some wet snow.

Keep in mind, intensity of these sfc lows is an important factor here. Right now what's being depicted is a 1000+mb piece of garbage, but I can easily see more energy going into the Christmas-26th event.

euro's solution is borderline absurd how it creates that slp

it won't look anything like that in two days, maybe even 2 runs

And the Euro is almost always 3-4 degrees too warm with the surface temperatures in these types of situations. I don't know why everyone is whining here. The only basic difference is that the Euro weakened the storm a bit and as a result cut back on the precip, which increased temperatures slightly. Small changes here and you end up back with the previous solution of the Euro. The placement of the low pressure center is off the NJ coast only slightly further than before and it is weaker. If you strengthen that low a little more you will also get the colder temperatures.

1) Euro was actually too cold last storm where snwyx was hoping for 3-6 lolliops to 8. And when it has been warm in the past 1-2 degrees, maybe, not 3-4.

2) There is alot more different that just the storm is weaker. The whole evolution changed.

All that matters is that we have a pna ridge with several shortwaves to work with.

In this dreadful pattern, we need everything, with regards to timing and placement, to be perfect.

Will be very tough, but it is possible.

In the end, I think the city itself will have a slop type storm, with perhaps a couple slushy inches at best.

The interior will fair well, in the next 7 days.

I'll be up in the Catskills this weekend, so bring it.

With the October 29th storm it was 3-4 degrees too warm in my area and it often is with the Nor'easters. Now, if we don't get a significant Nor'easter then the temps will likely verify as is.

1) Euro was actually too cold last storm where snwyx was hoping for 3-6 lolliops to 8. And when it has been warm in the past 1-2 degrees, maybe, not 3-4.

2) There is alot more different that just the storm is weaker. The whole evolution changed.

Keep in mind, intensity of these sfc lows is an important factor here. Right now what's being depicted is a 1000+mb piece of garbage, but I can easily see more energy going into the Christmas-26th event.

I don't it can be think easily done, without a block to slow things down. Why would all this energy hold back SW? Or if this energy did all phase together, what's to prevent it from coming too far NW?

euro's solution is borderline absurd how it creates that slp

it won't look anything like that in two days, maybe even 2 runs

yea. I was actually thinking the same thing. We're not talking about blockbluster upper level support on that one. The embedded wave looks pretty meager at best. The only thing it has working for it is fairly good baroclinicity as it hits the coast, but this sucker obviously is not ready to close off or slow down by any means

Just saw the Euro. Not a terrible run...it's really just a little weaker with the system and later to develop as Tom said earlier.

It's still got the signal...the H5 trough is still there...and it's still got a decent amount of cold air to work with should the system deepen more rapidly like last nights run.

Gotta like where we are compared to 48 hrs ago when we had nothing but torches and rain on all guidance.

Just saw the Euro. Not a terrible run...it's really just a little weaker with the system and later to develop as Tom said earlier.

It's still got the signal...the H5 trough is still there...and it's still got a decent amount of cold air to work with should the system deepen more rapidly like last nights run.

Gotta like where we are compared to 48 hrs ago when we had nothing but torches and rain on all guidance.

Its H5 was much cleaner last night, it is far more disorganized today which is why the system is weaker, it comes together much later

since it comes together later, its in its formation at our latitude and thus we have immature h7 anf h85 lows and that's a problem with the marginal cold.

Archived