Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until the Euro changes, the Euro says the Christmas Eve storm is the one to watch.

LOL, the euro did change from 12z to 00Z yesterday.

At 12z it had the bigger event like the gfs does except it held onto the energy too long out west

then 00z it accelerated the whole thing.

If you split the difference, it would look like the gfs.

GFS is a horrible model..and to top it off the NCEP site is a disaster..typical government garbage..the only model to follow is Euro..why did coudn't they leave the original site alone?..I have emailed them twice

you just can't say something is a horrible model, because they all have their moments.

Fortunately, the GFS tends to be a little SE/E at this timeframe, doesn't it? It will be interesting to see if the Euro still disagrees with the GFS.

it only need a little more amplification out west to be something much bigger.

All this is fantasy, but I just don't see the system on the 24th being the main show right now.

The bottom line is that the GFS is the 4th best model. Let's see what the ECMWF #1, the UKMET #2, and the JMA #3 say. It is just that the GFS comes out first. I understand that this may turn out like the GFS shows, but I would not jump ship until seeing the other three better models first by any means.

lol, i bet if the GFS was showing a snowstorm, it would "be the best model out there cuz of xyz reasons..."

lol, i bet if the GFS was showing a snowstorm, it would "be the best model out there cuz of xyz reasons..."

rankings aside, I would not be putting any money down on the xmas vort with no ridge out west and nothing anchoring the HP in place over the northeast.

That is why the second setup works better, if the amplification is there.

rankings aside, I would not be putting any money down on the xmas vort with no ridge out west and nothing anchoring the HP in place over the northeast.

I'm sure that second storm on the 26th is going out to sea with that se ridge?..lol..typical bias in play here..I'd be more concerned of an inland track

But Joe B says snow and a white christmas...and that's enough for me....I'm still shoveling out from all the snow he predicted for yesterday :axe:

I'm sure that second storm on the 26th is going out to sea with that se ridge?..lol..typical bias in play here..I'd be more concerned of an inland track

the se ridge isn't there in that setup because of the amplificaiton out west, the se ridge is a product of the -PNA,

The bottom line is that the GFS is the 4th best model. Let's see what the ECMWF #1, the UKMET #2, and the JMA #3 say. It is just that the GFS comes out first. I understand that this may turn out like the GFS shows, but I would not jump ship until seeing the other three better models first by any means.

you can throw the rankings out the door. Thats based on a global level. We're more concerned about NORTH AMERICA. Ideally, you have the euro, and then everything else. I still would trust the GFS over the JMA anyday. All have there uses.

just emailed NCEP about the GFS site..has anybody done that?

I haven't sent any emails, but I do find the new MAG site to be generally obsolete. There is no reason to use it...it is incredibly difficult to navigate and highly frustrating. I just use E-wall.

By the way, you can now click model hours for the 12z GFS on Ewall and see the trends from the past several days of runs.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/MRF_12z/mrfloop2.html

Well, just remember that the GFS model is the 4th best model. Let's wait and see what 1, 2, and 3 have to say.

It is the fourth best model? Where do you see that?

I don't think it is wise to just rank models and weight your reliance on them according to their rankings. Certain models are better at certain patterns, etc., and model rankings change with tweaks and different patterns.

It is the fourth best model? Where do you see that?

I don't think it is wise to just rank models and weight your reliance on them according to their rankings. Certain models are better at certain patterns, etc., and model rankings change with tweaks and different patterns.

it had dropped to fourth at 5 days for NA 500 mb verification so the weenies went nuts

as some of us have been saying, its silly to just say ignore it.

Archived