Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro has the southern stream much more involved at 150 hours. The GFS is farther north with the ejecting piece of the Southwest US cutoff while the Euro is also stronger and has better positioned and timed PVA..which allows the main surface low to re-develop off the coast. The GFS being farther north and weaker keeps a dual-surface low structure with a surface low near the Great Lakes and a weak secondary off the east coast. You could see at 144 hours that the Euro was going to show a nice solution. The cold air is marginal, but this is pretty much the best case scenario on this specific run.

post-6-0-02627300-1324277442.png

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ECMWF_0z/f144.gif

Man, I don't like that track.....hugger.

No blocking, so what is to stop it

Nothing, really. The fact that it is a relatively progressive feature should save it from becoming an all out 55 F rain storm for everybody, but I think ultimately it will end up on the warm side. The Euro basically has a perfectly timed ejection of the energy in the SW US, a well positioned baroclinic zone behind the storm a few days earlier, and a perfectly positioned vort which develops the surface low right on the warm waters near the benchmark or inside of it and gets enough dynamics going to keep things just marginally cold enough away from the coast. I won't hang my hat on it.

Nothing, really. The fact that it is a relatively progressive feature should save it from becoming an all out 55 F rain storm for everybody, but I think ultimately it will end up on the warm side. The Euro basically has a perfectly timed ejection of the energy in the SW US, a well positioned baroclinic zone behind the storm a few days earlier, and a perfectly positioned vort which develops the surface low right on the warm waters near the benchmark or inside of it and gets enough dynamics going to keep things just marginally cold enough away from the coast. I won't hang my hat on it.

If this ends up a xmas rainer, then I'll end up donating more than the board bargained for......like organs.

The worst thing to witness on Xmas eve and Xmas would be a rainstorm with temps in the 40s/50s so either give me some snow or give me nothing. Unfortunately I have a feeling that the Xmas storm will feature a moderately strong low cutting through the Ohio Valley with a late transfer to the coast, we get temps soaring into the low to mid 50s and get moderate to pockets of heavy rain, central/ northern new England manages to do fairly well and get their Xmas snows.

this storm would fit right in with the last 2 years honestly. We've seen it all

Also the storm gets up here timed perfectly with a high pressure moving over top of it.

Only one problem. The last two years, we've seen a very negative NAO and record breaking -AO giving us an enormous Greenland block which locked in the cold air and eliminated the storm inland cutter potential.

That is an absolutely perfect run for me....blows up just in time to punish me....takes a perfect track to comma me to death.....times it just right so that it's xmas eve into day.

Back to our regularly scheduled dead ratter.

It's a sweet run for mostly everybody away from the coast. Can't complain..it has been a while since we've even had a weenie run.

Westhampton Beach is now at a frigid 6*F under clear skies and a calm wind, when they were in the 50s just three days ago. The cold has been over-performing again tonight. I heard a lot of people in NYC complaining about the cold yesterday. I can't believe some of the members in this forum claiming that December is a "disaster and a blowtorch."

Archived