Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, will be difficult to drive that storm inland as modeled right now with the pv in eastern canada, there is simply no where for it to go

again, its all fantasy land, just food for thought

Yeah, assuming the GFS knows what its doing, that doesnt look like its going to cut. However, the cut off lows in the SW CONUS have been giving the models nightmares, so we really have no idea

The current temperature IMBY in Somerset County is down to 22 Degrees. It actually feels like winter outside, for one of the first times since meteorological winter began.

The GEFS have a REALLY strong storm signal for the storm after Christmas. A 1004 mb Low Pressure 192 hours out means that most of the individual ENS are in fairly good agreement with a storm during that timeframe, especially considering the fact that it is 192 hours out, and there should be more disagreement with the ENS as they go out in time.

Yeah, assuming the GFS knows what its doing, that doesnt look like its going to cut. However, the cut off lows in the SW CONUS have been giving the models nightmares, so we really have no idea

its all fantasy, but having it so near xmas is cool

can we save December?

we shall see

Thanks Ant, he is tough to listen too but makes it easy to understand for those that do not get too involved with how things actually work. I do not agree with everything he says but I do agree with his overall theme, think we have a 5 day window from the 23rd-28th. Might be some tough times (torch) in early Jan but I do think things will settle into a more winter like pattern as we head into mid Jan, although I do not think the NAO goes negative this winter for any length of time, it still will snow but the major blocking we enjoyed the last couple winters will not reoccur at least in MHO.

If I had to guess I would guesscast.....

31" of snow for KNYC.

The ridge out west is a bit too flat for my liking for the post-Christmas threat, on the GFS, anyway.

I actually dont think its that bad, its just that the southern vort doesnt phase so it goes OTS

As John says, you phase and you are playing with fire, but if you catch the phase early enough, you have an opportunity

if its delayed in any way and then phases, no good.

I actually dont think its that bad, its just that the southern vort doesnt phase so it goes OTS

As John says, you phase and you are playing with fire, but if you catch the phase early enough, you have an opportunity

if its delayed in any way and then phases, no good.

Part of why it doesn't phase is because that ridge is so flat. The flatter ridge means the pattern is still a bit progressive with strong westerlies.

Instead of the potent Canadian shortwave having more of a meridional component which would favor a phase, it has a fast, zonal component which lets it fly eastward quickly and misses the southern vort.

Part of why it doesn't phase is because that ridge is so flat. The flatter ridge means the pattern is still a bit progressive with strong westerlies.

Instead of the potent Canadian shortwave having more of a meridional component which would favor a phase, it has a fast, zonal component which lets it fly eastward quickly and misses the southern vort.

i mean, look at the image above, that is not a flat ridge. It's more of a timing issue in the split flow, IMHO, not how much its digging although I see what you are talking about.

As earthlight has noted several times, these vorts have had very little trouble digging even in the fast nina flow, so I bet we see that dig phase more in future runs, and then instead of ots we can start worrying how far west it comes

thats what happens when there is no blocking :santa:

Definitely calling BS on that one...what does blocking have to do with radiational cooling on a clear night with calm winds and low dewpoint.

That and the fact that temps are dropping all along the seaboard to virginia...maybe someone farted near the sensor to make it go up a degree...

I was kidding.

Definitely calling BS on that one...what does blocking have to do with radiational cooling on a clear night with calm winds and low dewpoint.

That and the fact that temps are dropping all along the seaboard to virginia...maybe someone farted near the sensor to make it go up a degree...

Archived