Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro ensembles show the weak system before xmas, going to be a real timing issue, can the cold get in here on time

Good thing is its a decent HP briging in the cold

12zecmwfens850mbTSLPNA120.gif

It looks like there is a very temporary +PNA spike here which might make this a possibility....extremely precarious setup though and probably won't verify. I hope I am wrong

did you measure that 5 in norwalk on 10/31? It looked about 5 to me, but was so heavy it mushed down so quickly

I did. We got 2" in about the first 2 hours of the storm....it was miserable to measure, I was at like 32.9 for most of the storm and then we finally got to 32.5 at like 6pm and racked up the additional accums.....

18z GFS has the coastal for Friday but it's warm for the coast. There is a nice high up north though.

prob some wet snow before it turns over, maybe to the coast

bigger dog setting up after the holiday, that's our shot as the first system bombs out sets up a 50/50 and a new HP is spreading east courtesy of the pac.

prob some wet snow before it turns over, maybe to the coast

bigger dog setting up after the holiday, that's our shot as the first system bombs out sets up a 50/50 and a new HP is spreading east courtesy of the pac.

A lot of moisture in the gulf at 189 hours. It looks like it will turn right up the coast.

The 18Z GFS looks a darn good setup if you just look at the 500mb out to the west, the ridge is in relatively good position, not too far east or progressing, and not too far off the West Coast, the only issue may be it may not be a large enough ridge to force the downstream phasing.

yeah, that's they key, we may get a little help if the xmas wave blows up

also, we certainly haven't had any trouble with amplification yet this year, so there is some hope

the post christmas storm has a shot. the baroclinic zone is forced far enough offshore from the first system a few days before it. there is a good cold air source in place and a well placed/timed ridge over the Rockies. The problem is that without the blocking, a phased system will come right up the coast. The middle ground may only offer a light snowfall in a DGEX type solution. Otherwise without a phase/strong shortwave the system slides offshore.

Such is life without a favorable pattern over Canada and the higher latitudes.

the post christmas storm has a shot. the baroclinic zone is forced far enough offshore from the first system a few days before it. there is a good cold air source in place and a well placed/timed ridge over the Rockies. The problem is that without the blocking, a phased system will come right up the coast. The middle ground may only offer a light snowfall in a DGEX type solution. Otherwise without a phase/strong shortwave the system slides offshore.

well the ridge out west will provide a little protection even if we do phase more, and there is some indication the xmas system bombs out which could help the coastal plain

something to track

so far out and I only post this as something to watch, but check out the xmas storm which gets up to the 50/50 spot and temporarily brings in some higher heights south of greenland. Working in tandum with the ridge out west, the thread could get through the needle.

if it did happen, we are looking at a very FM system.

gfs_namer_186_500_vort_ht.gif

I agree. I also think the first system would have to be stronger over the Canadian Maritimes, to prevent a phased storm from tracking too far NW. But without -NAO, it would all have to be timed well.

Archived