• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

12z Euro doesn't look bad at all until hour 240. I don't know why people are saying this run doesn't look good at all. Who cares about 240 hours out. It will most likely change the next run or even when the ensembles come out. It seems like all the models are agreeing on a cold Christmas.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only positive thing about living in an area where average annual snowfall is pretty mediocre is that sub-par totals (not to mention complete perspective on the season) can be rectified with a couple of halfway decent events...

At least we will be seeing some cool shots, that's better than 2001-2002 at least where literally no cold air even existed.

We did have one in late January if I recall correctly. Sort of the flipside of a January thaw. Even had a slushy coating of snow. Enough to beat 1972-3.

The control run of the Euro that goes out to 360 hrs, has for three consecutive runs now (it runs every 12 hours like the operational run), shown the possibility of a coastal snowstorm for New York City and vicinity for New Year's Day, as it has a storm forming along the Georgia coast and moving up to near Cape Hatteras on New Years Eve or early on New Years Day, then up, about 150 miles off the coast of NJ, then to just southeast of the Benchmark, with 850's below freezing up here for the entire storm. I know, it is a long, long way out but it is interesting that it has shown a nearly identical situation the last 3 runs in a row and it is for New Year's Day.

Oh yes, and it does not have the storm on the day after Christmas like the operational run, it instead has a weak system, bringing us a little snow on Christmas morning, then it has a little snow for us on the 29th, then a big one starts developing in the Gulf of Mexico on New Year's Eve, cutting across northern Florida and heading up the coast on New Year's Day, strengthening the whole way as I described above.

This image is one of the most grotesque and utterly horrid long-term forecasts that I have ever seen being spit out by the CFS, for snow enthusiasts that is: :axe: :axe: :axe:

usT2mMon.gif

It so closely resembles the winter of 1997-1998; and summer may get off to an early start in spring. SnowGoose69, do you agree with this forecast?

looks good for June..lol..and if the winter is gonna blow,would be nice to have a nice spring..pitchers and catchers a month and a half away!!

I'm reading the Ok and TX panhandle AFD's...much more exciting than our weather...Blizzard watches out there.

Really cool the way they can start as rain and then transition to a significant snow event. Thats a rare beast for us here on the coast

BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY

MORNING...

...WINTER STORM WATCH IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AMARILLO HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY

MORNING. THE WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* EVENT...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG NORTH WINDS WILL IMPACT THE OKLAHOMA

PANHANDLE...AND NORTHERN AND WESTERN TEXAS PANHANDLE...MONDAY INTO

TUESDAY MORNING. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 15

INCHES ARE LIKELY. THE HIGHEST TOTALS...IN THE 12 TO 15 INCH

RANGE...WILL BE FOUND ACROSS THE OKLAHOMA PANHANDLE AND NORTHWEST

TEXAS PANHANDLE. NORTH WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH

GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH BEHIND THE COLD FRONT ON MONDAY...PRODUCING

BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND PERIODS OF WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL TRANSITION TO SNOW FROM NORTHWEST TO SOUTHEAST

ON MONDAY...WITH ALL SNOW EXPECTED BY EARLY MONDAY EVENING. THE

SNOW WILL CONTINUE MONDAY NIGHT...BEFORE ENDING FROM SOUTHWEST TO

NORTHEAST TUESDAY MORNING. THE STRONG NORTH WINDS WILL DEVELOP

MONDAY AND CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT...BEFORE DIMINISHING

TUESDAY MORNING.

Archived