Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro ensembles at 216 and 240 AT 500MB.

there is hope here. Besides the good enough ridge out west, looks like a free safety coming over the top of greenland may just be enough, we will see.

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH216.gif

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

That free safety might be hit with an illegal contact penalty giving La Nina a first down.

euro ensembles at 216 and 240 AT 500MB.

there is hope here. Besides the good enough ridge out west, looks like a free safety coming over the top of greenland may just be enough, we will see.

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH216.gif

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

not bad at all for the holidays..woudn't it be funny if we could squeeze a white christmas out of this December horror?..lol

Upton's forecast is quite optimistic for the mid week storm, shown as a rain/snow mix IMBY for Tuesday night and Wednesday. While a bit of frozen precip at the start of the storm is possible, there's not much cold air in place (the cold air on the CMC is definitely overdone), and the cold that is there would quickly be pushed out as the low pressure approaches, probably ending up as a light rain/snow scenario to start in parts of the area before a changeover to rain going later into Tuesday night and Wednesday, with temps possibly reaching 50 degrees once again in the southern parts of the area on Wednesday. On the positive side, at least seeing a chance of snow even showing up in parts of the area is better than what we've seen so far...

Jay, this is not a virga sounding from the gfs

111216201303.gif

its fully saturated between -10 and -20 and all the way to the surface

we see some flakes from this

how many I don't care, its not rain and its not 60 degrees

true... I hadn't really looked at the soundings.. There is a bit of a dryer layer in the lower levels.. it's not completely dry though.. not sure what impact it might have... but we'll see how it goes...

Euro ensembles are showing a pretty good PNA rise around Xmas time.

At this point I don't event think a PNA can save us, the problem is that damn PV just refuses to set up shop anywhere S or SW of Eskimo territory in NE Canada. Until that changes we can have a ridge up into Santa Claus' neck of the woods and it won't matter, we'll still see the cold air generally staying north and storm systems will either be too progressive or cut to the west.

American models seem to be hinting at an ocean effect snow event over Cape Cod this weekend...so one can always take a boat ride east...

GFS does have snowshowers Christmas eve day..and a clipper for Christmas night..not a bad run from the 24th thru the 27th

It was a pretty miserable run...especially after 18z being half decent...

Gfs is showing what a bad pattern does.

Rain for lakes cutters and rain for coastals. No cold air anywhere through hour 168.

Agreed, but we might be a hair closer to some sort of minor change if the western ridge helps the post-Xmas day clipper hold together as it passes quickly over us--the kind of system that in decent years produces at most an inch or two of snow. But even more often, and especially in bad winter seasons, they dry out as they move e-ne-ward from the northern plains and we get little or nothing.

WX/PT

Guest Patrick

Since this is a banter thread, I can throw in my two cents of vagueness...

While it is nice to have something to track, snow is going to be elusive in this pattern regardless of what the models show. Contrast this year with the same time last year, we were staring down the barrel of a pattern that was locked and loaded. It was just a matter of waiting for the little players on the field to fall in line with the -AO and -NAO. We knew that a 12/26 pattern or the following "snowicane" were both possibilities in a killer pattern like that.

I'm sure a smaller snow event is possible, mostly because Wxoutlooks said it is a remote possibility...but searching for a storm in a bad pattern is a far different animal than searching for a storm in the incredible pattern we had for the start of last winter.

Since this is a banter thread, I can throw in my two cents of vagueness...

While it is nice to have something to track, snow is going to be elusive in this pattern regardless of what the models show. Contrast this year with the same time last year, we were staring down the barrel of a pattern that was locked and loaded. It was just a matter of waiting for the little players on the field to fall in line with the -AO and -NAO. We knew that a 12/26 pattern or the following "snowicane" were both possibilities in a killer pattern like that.

I'm sure a smaller snow event is possible, mostly because Wxoutlooks said it is a remote possibility...but searching for a storm in a bad pattern is a far different animal than searching for a storm in the incredible pattern we had for the start of last winter.

pretty much yeah.

except most of us arent searching for a big storm, we are searching for a few flakes :blush:

Archived