Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no one said anything more than seeing some flakes, which is all that setup provides, flakes

You are 100% correct that the lift is lacking but 700 is saturated so if there is a shot.

At this point, I am more excited to see what happens after the 25th

I hope we see some flakes... I just hope the last couple of GFS runs don't verify in that New Year's time frame.. god, that is really ugly. It seems like the 25th - 28th is the shot to thread any kind of needle before ugliness occurs.

I hope we see some flakes... I just hope the last couple of GFS runs don't verify in that New Year's time frame.. god, that is really ugly. It seems like the 25th - 28th is the shot to thread any kind of needle before ugliness occurs.

I think we've been on that bridge since late October, unless it gets even worse which I don't see how it could get any worse than it is now. I'm starting to wonder if we'll even get snow considerably how horrendous the pattern is.

agreed, but we're men, we will get over it

my point was you were pretty aggressive on that inside of 48 hours and are completely dismissive of this, which probably has about the same possibility of verifying.

i will delete my post becuase you're right, that was not the right thing to do.

you didn't have to delete it, it's fair game. it's a forecast I made publicly so you can repost it as much as you want. I just wasn't expecting it.

you didn't have to delete it, it's fair game. it's a forecast I made publicly so you can repost it as much as you want. I just wasn't expecting it.

Right church, wrong pew

I did not do that to point out you didn't get the forecast correct, lord knows I fail, i am just surprised how adamant you are that it won't happen given how you weren't that way with the last threat, that is all.

Actually what i find pretty amazing is that with the problems the models are having at 132 hrs out ..we are looking at beyond 180 hours out and its potentials. I guess my point is that if the models are having this much trouble in the shorter term you can expect even more trouble with the longer term.

Jay, this is not a virga sounding from the gfs

111216201303.gif

its fully saturated between -10 and -20 and all the way to the surface

we see some flakes from this

how many I don't care, its not rain and its not 60 degrees

Euro says great travel weather the day before Christmas for the whole country.

Well that's depressing. I'm one of those sick twisted freaks who enjoys driving on snow covered roads. People say, "I can't go out now, roads are icy!". Me: "Hell you talking about? All the better."

Well that's depressing. I'm one of those sick twisted freaks who enjoys driving on snow covered roads. People say, "I can't go out now, roads are icy!". Me: "Hell you talking about? All the better."

Dont worry, it may get people on the way back

The euro wasn't far from makng something bigger around the 27th

I have to agree with John on this one.. at least based on what I'm seeing now. I know that there's talk that WAA come in a bit quicker than anticipated and all that, but look at this system overall.. this is a pretty weak system... you've gotta be able to overcome some dry air produce enough insentropic lift for it to precip... look at the omega values on the GFS.. they're basically weak to non-existant.. I just don't think it has the capability to produce precip that hits the ground during a time when the column is cold enough to still produce snow... at best, I can see a couple of random, mangled flakes.

I agree. The WAA itself really weak. The models show qpf, because they sneak a cold front Monday night through the area. This forces the warmer air to rise above cold air faster, which squeezes any out moisture. But it the models were to trend with more qpf, they will likely be warmer, because the WAA will be stronger. On the other hand, it the cold front was stronger or further south, it would be drier. Basically little room again for a good solution.

I agree. The WAA itself really weak. The models show qpf, because they sneak a cold front Monday night through the area. This forces the warmer air to rise above cold air faster, which squeezes any out moisture. But it the models were to trend with more qpf, they will likely be warmer, because the WAA will be stronger. On the other hand, it the cold front was stronger or further south, it would be drier. Basically little room again for a good solution.

Theres a middle point there though. Models generally have about .10" of precip.

A slight bump to .20"-.25" can be had and that will at least whiten some surfaces.

sounds like a honking noise from ur direction..

the euro leaves back some southern stream energy and this run was purely northern stream driven..we'll see if that energy ejects out and phases in future runs..Long way to go and probably a long shot to get something good, but its worth watching atleast

too bad its 11 days away...

yeah, but I don't know its weird, I got gut feeling.

Speaking of weird check out this dream I had last night.

I actually dreamt that the finger lakes expanded all the way to jersey and earthlight was getting lake effect from them. How crazy is that?

So not only would he clean up from the noreasters, now he would get lake effect.

Nuts!

yeah, but I don't know its weird, I got gut feeling.

Speaking of weird check out this dream I had last night.

I actually dreamt that the finger lakes expanded all the way to jersey and earthlight was getting lake effect from them. How crazy is that?

So not only would he clean up from the noreasters, now he would get lake effect.

Nuts!

At least in this pattern he still would have no snow.

Good news is, climatology gets rapidly more favorable for us post December 15th as the mean jet position shifts swd and averages plummet. We do have a continued +PNA/-EPO signal through the end of December, but no blocking. So essentially a similar pattern to the past couple weeks only we're talking much better stats climo wise. It's quite a bit easier to get overrunning frozen pcpn or any frozen for that matter in a crappy pattern by Dec 20th and beyond. Will it be major? No. Without any AO or NAO blocking, I'd safely rule out anything 10"+.

However, properly timed moderate event is certainly within the realm of possibilities. I'm not too excited about next week's overrunning; mid level warmth usually flows in quite quickly and there's not even strong surface cold to allow the snow to stick initially. Banking on significant evaporational cooling via overrunning events usually doesn't work out too well. Generally I remember snow falling to beat the band but temps either holding steady or slowly rising (maybe a slight drop initially, but in this case, temps will be in the 40s when precip arrives). Looks to me at least right now like a light, wet, non accumulating snow that's more of a tease than anything. This is a situation where elevated areas could pick up a few inches maybe. I'm more interested in the potential around Christmas when we've got some actual polar air to work with. Not severe cold, but cold enough.

Theres a middle point there though. Models generally have about .10" of precip.

A slight bump to .20"-.25" can be had and that will at least whiten some surfaces.

Whatever it winds up being, it would narrow zone, where anyone will see much. Half the area, will probably get screwed. You have to watch BL temps too, if it's not heavy.

Whatever it winds up being, it would narrow zone, where anyone will see much. Half the area, will probably get screwed. You have to watch BL temps too, if it's not heavy.

Well, someone always gets screwed, other than earthlight, I always cheer on my neighbors to get snow, so if get screwed, I hope others do well.

And no one will cry over missing a few flakes.

Archived