Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its snow on the gfs soundings

the 540 line is a little north on the euro but 850's plenty cold.

I agree with you there.. however, based on the strength of the system and the lack of forcing, I don't think that the .01-.05 outputs would verify when it is cold enough to snow. I don't think that precip actually makes it to the ground. I'd want to see a stronger overrunning pattern... I'm not just looking at the gradient itself.. I know it's there, but I want to see the flow crossing the gradient. The wind profile on the GFS during that timeframe is very unimpressive in terms of the veering pattern. I look at that as a day with an overcast midlevel deck of clouds where it looks and feels like it might snow, but it doesn't.

I'm not saying it won't snow, but I'd want to see some improvement in terms of the forcing when it is still cold enough. I hope that changes.

those "events" never work out. the waa is always under forecast and whatever falls usually falls after the column warms.

I have to agree with John on this one.. at least based on what I'm seeing now. I know that there's talk that WAA come in a bit quicker than anticipated and all that, but look at this system overall.. this is a pretty weak system... you've gotta be able to overcome some dry air produce enough insentropic lift for it to precip... look at the omega values on the GFS.. they're basically weak to non-existant.. I just don't think it has the capability to produce precip that hits the ground during a time when the column is cold enough to still produce snow... at best, I can see a couple of random, mangled flakes.

I have to agree with John on this one.. at least based on what I'm seeing now. I know that there's talk that WAA come in a bit quicker than anticipated and all that, but look at this system overall.. this is a pretty weak system... you've gotta be able to overcome some dry air produce enough insentropic lift for it to precip... look at the omega values on the GFS.. they're basically weak to non-existant.. I just don't think it has the capability to produce precip that hits the ground during a time when the column is cold enough to still produce snow... at best, I can see a couple of random, mangled flakes.

Yeah I def. agree with this. I've seen these types of things modeled hundreds of times. WAA is the devil, man. Never comes through when you need it and always ruins things when you don't want it.

These events more often than not will disappear as we get closer, or just trend warmer.

Next..

Yeah I def. agree with this. I've seen these types of things modeled hundreds of times. WAA is the devil, man. Never comes through when you need it and always ruins things when you don't want it.

These events more often than not will disappear as we get closer, or just trend warmer.

Next..

Yes. But we've also seen them overperform.

There's nothing else to follow that isnt in fantasy range.

Lets hope for a precip bump in the next 2-3 days and for models to hold the colder solutions.

Next..

These type of storms always arrive earlier than forecasted . Like I said, this will help us if it does because we would have cold air already in place.

These type of storms always arrive earlier than forecasted . Like I said, this will help us if it does because we would have cold air already in place.

Not always earlier Anthony. Sometimes.

Earthlight and Tornadojay are right that these kinds of waa events usually dont work out.

But sometimes they do. Hopefully this is one of them.

You're funny, this has probably just as much probability to come through as the storm you were trumping a week ago with this map. Dunno man, don't be so dismissive

Yikes, dude. I never understand the point in bumping a forecast that might have been off by an inch in some spots, lol. I was clearly indicating that the potential for snow accumulations was in the higher elevations.

That threat is completely different from this one, there is no connection. That was a surprisingly immature post from you.

Yikes, dude. I never understand the point in bumping a forecast that might have been off by an inch in some spots, lol. I was clearly indicating that the potential for snow accumulations was in the higher elevations.

That threat is completely different from this one, there is no connection. That was a surprisingly immature post from you.

agreed, but we're men, we will get over it

my point was you were pretty aggressive on that inside of 48 hours and are completely dismissive of this, which probably has about the same possibility of verifying.

i will delete my post becuase you're right, that was not the right thing to do.

The storms "arrive" faster because the WAA is under forecast and brings precipitation with it earlier. Unfortunately the warm air comes with the package.

Not always earlier Anthony. Sometimes.

Earthlight and Tornadojay are right that these kinds of waa events usually dont work out.

But sometimes they do. Hopefully this is one of them.

If I see the models .01'ing the QPF map to death in a weak WAA set-up, I pretty much consider it virga and phantom precip. If the models start showing a bit more QPF in the way of .25", then I'll start considering that we'll measure more than a trace.. It looks like it eventually does, but after it's a bit too warm.

If I see the models .01'ing the QPF map to death in a weak WAA set-up, I pretty much consider it virga and phantom precip. If the models start showing a bit more QPF in the way of .25", then I'll start considering that we'll measure more than a trace.. It looks like it eventually does, but after it's a bit too warm.

Definetely agree. Unless we see .25" at least, it will be tough for accumulating snow.

no one said anything more than seeing some flakes, which is all that setup provides, flakes

You are 100% correct that the lift is lacking but 700 is saturated so if there is a shot.

At this point, I am more excited to see what happens after the 25th

Archived