• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Second Half of December Weather Banter and Obs

TheTrials

I like what I'm seeing on the ECMWF D 8-10. Continues to try to connect the PNA/EPO ridge in Western Canada across the pole to the Central Asian ridge. It's been suggesting this for the past few runs, and if so, we'll be bringing the AO down near 0, maybe even slightly negative in a couple weeks. Given the AO has such a strong correlation with the NAO, once we get the AO to fully turn negative w/ higher than normal heights in the Arctic, the NAO regions should improve as well by early January.

See my post in the pinned thread. The atlantic ridge is just begging to burst out in a full blown -NAO, just need the AO to calm down.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what I'm seeing on the ECMWF D 8-10. Continues to try to connect the PNA/EPO ridge in Western Canada across the pole to the Central Asian ridge. It's been suggesting this for the past few runs, and if so, we'll be bringing the AO down near 0, maybe even slightly negative in a couple weeks. Given the AO has such a strong correlation with the NAO, once we get the AO to fully turn negative w/ higher than normal heights in the Arctic, the NAO regions should improve as well by early January.

Agreed. You can see heights rising over greenland at the end of the run.

It is still gonna be 3 weeks IMHO but I do think we see a few shots at something frozen before then.

Also, Climo is getting more and more on our side, so that helps too.

I agree thanks, isn't NYC usually snowless in dec anyway? And temps clearly have gotten colder from 2weeks ago. So like many have been saying the pattern won't change overnight but step down and I think we are seeing signs of that.

Yea only 10 days away!

10 days later...yep should be breaking down day 10 of the run....

10 days later...wash, rinse, repeat...

It's only 10 days away if you hump the op gfs weenie range or ensembles that go out to 384 hours, or steve D, jb, dt etc.

Plenty of us have said no real changes till we get to the new year or slightly thereafter.

It's only 10 days away if you hump the op gfs weenie range or ensembles that go out to 384 hours, or steve D, jb, dt etc.

Plenty of us have said no real changes till we get to the new year or slightly thereafter.

You've been saying first week of jan for a while! Getting closer

Come on man, this board is PG

this is the kind of banter the mods and admins don't want to see on the board. Let's keep the negative focus off of us as nyc has been doing a great job recently, regardless of what one anonymous red tagger who doesnt want to have the burden of teaching people about soundings has to say.

I'm not seeing anything on the 12Z Euro that's making me jump up and down... the most exciting thing I see is that one of these quick cold shots is currently timed to do well on Christmas day so it will actually feel like Christmas... otherwise, that's pretty much it. Though I do see what folks are talking about in terms of some late ridging over Greenland.

I am taking the path of sticking with this same pattern until it actually breaks or there is overwhelming model consensus within a short term forecast period that something is gonna change.. otherwise, I'm not buying into any long-term forecasted pattern changes I see in the models at this time.

Must be that coastal front that moved through around two...temped spiked 18 degrees in an hour, impressive...

15 14:56 SW 14 G 20 10.00 Fair CLR 72 50 47% 30.15 NA 15 13:56 SW 15 G 23 10.00 Overcast FEW025 SCT080 BKN150 OVC250 54 44 69% 29.94 1014.0

wow..that's not right..54 in Farmingdale..how can it 17 degrees warmer 7 miles south?

wow..that's not right..54 in Farmingdale..how can it 17 degrees warmer 7 miles south?

I know there is some sort of hot spot down on the south shore that flares up every once in a while, the geo-thermal activity on the south shore is fascinating. The retreating glaciers from the last ice age ripped through the crust and opened up these schisms. wrote a paper on it in college.

I know there is some sort of hot spot down on the south shore that flares up every once in a while, the geo-thermal activity on the south shore is fascinating. The retreating glaciers from the last ice age ripped through the crust and opened up these schisms. wrote a paper on it in college.

Cue William with a smart reply.................

Go throw some dynamite in one of the hot spots, maybe we can disrupt the AO.

While the sunrise will continue to be later in the morning for the next few weeks, we've officially passed our earliest sunset time of 4:29 after yesterday. Today its increased a minute to 4:30

And that is your useless tidbit for the day

yay! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif That is the first sign that summer is on the way once the days start getting longer... on the other hand, maybe summer has already arrived a bit early this year. Winter might have ended on October 30th.. just kidding. Winter will get here sometime soon.... ummm, I hope

While the sunrise will continue to be later in the morning for the next few weeks, we've officially passed our earliest sunset time of 4:29 after yesterday. Today its increased a minute to 4:30

And that is your useless tidbit for the day

Daylight doesn't really start ramping up until early February, which is why, in my ideal winter, the bulk of the snow and cold comes before Feb 1st ala 2010-11. Love this time of year around the holidays with short days, cold temps, and flakes flying.

Archived