pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
Thursday Wintry Threat

CT Rain

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That isn't the 850 line. The yellow is the 850-700 critical thickness line (which is basically a measure of mid level warmth) and the red is 1000-850mb critical thickness line (low level measure of warmth).

Ah, so wasn't reading that right. :bag: Thanks for the clarification.

Looks a little Ukieish. I've been poopooing this event for a few days, but that was while the models were all significantly deamplifying that s/w in rapid fashion. Now it holds together strong enough as it passes our region. It almost drops 1" QPF up here with 2m temps of 32F...probably a pipedream, but lol anyways.

Make that 0.50"...I forgot to subtract the QPF from the fropa.

What is the BL like for eastern SNE? Mid 30's? Around 40 for the Cape to start? 850 looks fine after the initial burst. Wind starts E, but then more NNE. I think we'd get advisory snows (on this run) all the way to 128. Low level warning snows west of ASH, ORH, TOL.

on this run it sucks. it's warm way west...like BOS to KTOL..the 12z was way colder. as was the euro.

What is the BL like for eastern SNE? Mid 30's? Around 40 for the Cape to start? 850 looks fine after the initial burst. Wind starts E, but then more NNE. I think we'd get advisory snows (on this run) all the way to 128. Low level warning snows west of ASH, ORH, TOL.

Yeah it would be a cold rain for a while with 850 temps near 0C, and then a dynamic flash over to a 33F snow for a while..probably dropping to 32F. I'm speaking more for interior areas like Ray. Pretty strong coastal front too.

Yeah it would be a cold rain for a while with 850 temps near 0C, and then a dynamic flash over to a 33F snow for a while..probably dropping to 32F. I'm speaking more for interior areas like Ray. Pretty strong coastal front too.

I could still use another tick NW for the Monadnocks but the 18z NAM looks decent for SW NH. I like seeing how it's closing off the shortwave and keeping it intact as it passes NYC. I'm definitely glad I have elevation though because the BL is going to suck with the cold air stuck over the Plains.

I could still use another tick NW for the Monadnocks but the 18z NAM looks decent for SW NH. I like seeing how it's closing off the shortwave and keeping it intact as it passes NYC. I'm definitely glad I have elevation though because the BL is going to suck with the cold air stuck over the Plains.

Not really...don't fall for the QPF hype..lol. You would get some decent snow verbatim.

up your way you may not have those same low level temp issues. you'll start draining in colder/drier air a lot sooner than places in the eastern half of SNE just in general.

It will probably be in like N Billerica, though.

I'll be on the wrong side.

Hey..if it can snow in March a few days after a 70 degree day with a late summer sun angle, I think we can manage a good solution in nearly mid Dec. This isn't a raging coastal with strong winds off the ocean.

I think if this holds serve, areas just away from the coast will likely get advisory snows (2-5") after initial rains. Where it stays all snow, more significant accums (4-7").

As the rev would say, lock it up!

Here is an example of deformation and why we talk about this. This is more like the "stretching" deformation. Notice how the wind vectors are SSW into southern new england, and westerly out in PA and NY. You can see the convergence area near NYC and into SNE of those vectors. What you are doing an essence is piling up or converging the isotherms together. When you do that, you have a strong temp gradient. The atmosphere becomes imbalanced...it does not like strong temperature gradients. So what happens is that you get a response in which you have rising air near and just south of this convergence line...and it shows up in this prog. Now the atmosphere is likely tilted in the vertical so the rising air you see off to the south will continue rising through the atmosphere at an incline. Part of the reason where it's good to be n or nw of the 700mb low.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

150 PM EST MON DEC 05 2011

VALID 12Z THU DEC 08 2011 - 12Z MON DEC 12 2011

...QUICK SHOT OF SNOW FOR PORTIONS OF THE MID ATLANTIC AND

NORTHEAST EARLY DAY 3...

...FIRST SIGNIFICANT LAKE EFFECT SNOWS OF THE SEASON...

FINAL...

THE ONLY CHANGE TO THE UPDATE PACKAGE MADE FOR THE FINAL ISSUANCE

WAS TO SLOW THE WAVE APPROACHING THE SOUTHERN TIP OF NOVA SCOTIA

SLIGHTLY DAY 3...TOWARD THE CENTER OF THE 12Z/05 GUIDANCE. THIS

POSITION ENDS UP BEING BETWEEN THE 00Z/05 AND 12Z/05 DETERMINISTIC

ECMWF SOLUTIONS. THE 12Z/05 GFS...GEFS MEAN...AND GEM GLOBAL HAVE

ALL TRENDED TOWARD A MORE NEGATIVELY TILTED WAVE EMERGING OFF THE

VIRGINIA CAPES AT THE START OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD...WHICH

APPEARS TO BE VIGOROUS ENOUGH TO DYNAMICALLY COOL PORTIONS OF THE

INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR FROM WASHINGTON DC TO BOSTON TO THE POINT

WHERE THE PRECIPITATION WOULD END AS SNOW. THE EARLIER THE

TURNOVER...THE MORE ACCUMULATION IS POSSIBLE. ELSEWHERE...THE

NORTHEAST PACIFIC RIDGE IS EXPECTED TO ROLL OVER INTO ALASKA AND

THE YUKON...DIRECTING CONTINENTAL POLAR AND MODIFIED ARCTIC AIR

INTO THE NORTH CENTRAL UNITED STATES...INCLUDING THE GREAT

LAKES...WHERE THE FIRST WIDESPREAD LAKE EFFECT SNOWS ARE

ANTICIPATED. THE FAR WEST WILL BE INCREASING PROTECTED FROM THE

PACIFIC STORM TRACK VIA BUILDING HEIGHTS.

Pretty much sums it up for me, too

Here is an example of deformation and why we talk about this. This is more like the "stretching" deformation. Notice how the wind vectors are SSW into southern new england, and westerly out in PA and NY. You can see the convergence area near NYC and into SNE of those vectors. What you are doing an essence is piling up or converging the isotherms together. When you do that, you have a strong temp gradient. The atmosphere becomes imbalanced...it does not like strong temperature gradients. So what happens is that you get a response in which you have rising air near and just south of this convergence line...and it shows up in this prog. Now the atmosphere is likely tilted in the vertical so the rising air you see off to the south will continue rising through the atmosphere at an incline. Part of the reason where it's good to be n or nw of the 700mb low.

bringing out the "A" quality posts today. well done.

Archived