pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earthlight, do you see any light at the end of the tunnel?!?!?!?

It's def. possible we squeeze something in around Dec 20 but the overall pattern doesn't want to budge until Jan.

My Dec 15 pattern change idea from Oct looks to be going down in flames...which is fine...live and learn. SWFE would be the general storm type through the holidays.

I can't say I agree with anybody arguing for this pattern to flip by Christmas...I've seen the posts & videos etc. The stratosphere is in hibernation...there is very little support for high latitude ridging. There are some better signs in the QBO 30/50 but those can often have a 1 or even 2 month lag. The MJO is also in terrible shape..looping through the COD and then back into unfavorable stages 3-4-5 which takes us to the first week of Jan. Whwre do we go from there? I don't know.

This is not to say we can't sneak something in/small events before then. But the overall pattern is crap.

It's def. possible we squeeze something in around Dec 20 but the overall pattern doesn't want to budge until Jan.

My Dec 15 pattern change idea from Oct looks to be going down in flames...which is fine...live and learn. SWFE would be the general storm type through the holidays.

I can't say I agree with anybody arguing for this pattern to flip by Christmas...I've seen the posts & videos etc. The stratosphere is in hibernation...there is very little support for high latitude ridging. There are some better signs in the QBO 30/50 but those can often have a 1 or even 2 month lag. The MJO is also in terrible shape..looping through the COD and then back into unfavorable stages 3-4-5 which takes us to the first week of Jan. Whwre do we go from there? I don't know.

This is not to say we can't sneak something in/small events before then. But the overall pattern is crap.

Why do you say doesnt want to budge until january when you have no evidence to back this up...not criticizing just asking...

Do you think we might get into a pattern if things become more favorable that is similar to what we experienced in 08-09 because I'd be overjoyed if we get something mirroring that winter at this point.

Why do you say doesnt want to budge until january when you have no evidence to back this up...not criticizing just asking...

I just listed all the reasons...the MJO is traversing through unfavorable stages...forecast to do a complete loop through the same ones we were just in. Look up the 500mb and 2mT composites for MJO phases 2-5 in December...and you will find a very similar pattern to the one we have been in. I also spoke about the stratosphere and how it doesn't support any high latitude ridging...and it makes perfect sense to see the PV parked over Greenland and the Davis Straight through the end of almost all the global ensembles.

Not sure what other evidence you were looking for

I just listed all the reasons...the MJO is traversing through unfavorable stages...forecast to do a complete loop through the same ones we were just in. Look up the 500mb and 2mT composites for MJO phases 2-5 in December...and you will find a very similar pattern to the one we have been in. I also spoke about the stratosphere and how it doesn't support any high latitude ridging...and it makes perfect sense to see the PV parked over Greenland and the Davis Straight through the end of almost all the global ensembles.

Not sure what other evidence you were looking for

Sorry i guess i didnt word it right. I meant, what evidence is there to show it actually will budge in january....and not stay terrible all winter..

I'm pretty much agree. I think it's unclear when we'll see the -QBO have an impact on Pacific or Atlantic side. Most of the convection with the MJO, is over Indonesia. That's supports a ridge more south between Hawaii and the Aluetains, than on the West Coast. The MJO has been stronger than forecast so far. So I'm not sure about a complete collapse in the COD.

Sorry i guess i didnt word it right. I meant, what evidence is there to show it actually will budge in january....and not stay terrible all winter..

I've been on the "late winter QBO effects/stratospheric changes" train...I think Tom is as well. The QBO changes rolled forward would eventually have some positive effects on the pattern.

I think eventually we will see some blocking return. It's just a matter of when..

the lack of cold air is pretty unbelievable.. especially the first part of next week.. you're hard-pressed to find really any part of the country below -4C at 850 mb.. and the majority of the country is above 0C... and aside from transient shots of relatively colder air, you really don't see any penetration of arctic air really anywhere in the country.

the lack of cold air is pretty unbelievable.. especially the first part of next week.. you're hard-pressed to find really any part of the country below -4C at 850 mb.. and the majority of the country is above 0C... and aside from transient shots of relatively colder air, you really don't see any penetration of arctic air really anywhere in the country.

It's all near the poles and over the areas where we want blocking.

Fantastic right?

You guys all know I'll be the first one tossing weenies in the air and screaming and running in circles when the pattern looks great.

But it's not there right now. Nothing else to really say about it that hasn't already been said.

John, what I find even more amazing is the duration of time now that has elapsed where things aren't looking too good.. and we're looking for some kind of sign in the long range to see if something significant is gonna change.. and it's just not there.. it's like I'm looking at the same exact things... every single day.

You know its a desperate time when you start looking to the NOAGPS and at 180hrs none the less, but this has to be the "best" looking model run I have seen out there, the run ends a few days before the 20th. At least there is some sign of west coast ridgding, although too far west and a trough in the east.

f180.gif

Archived