pl0k00n111
    Newest Member
    pl0k00n111
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS and the GGEM was not mentioned or posted; so I assume they both suck. sad.png

There is still a lakes cutter (though do I see a semblance of Greenland blocking there?) and the next storm looks colder but shunted to the south. Another storm after that that is a close call with temps, but verbatim would go to rain. Looks cold after that. At least tracking could get fun again.

There is still a lakes cutter (though do I see a semblance of Greenland blocking there?) and the next storm looks colder but shunted to the south. Another storm after that that is a close call with temps, but verbatim would go to rain. Looks cold after that. At least tracking could get fun again.

Are you talkling about the storm at 150-168? That's supposed to be a cutter, its the storm afterwards that DT and others are keying in on. On the GFS tonight it goes from a storm gathering out in the plains to absolutely nothing from 192 to 204 so I think we can see the truncation happening there, but setup looks good for an overrunning event with a nice batch of cold air coming down from the cutter.

Are you talkling about the storm at 150-168? That's supposed to be a cutter, its the storm afterwards that DT and others are keying in on. On the GFS tonight it goes from a storm gathering out in the plains to absolutely nothing from 192 to 204 so I think we can see the truncation happening there, but setup looks good for an overrunning event with a nice batch of cold air coming down from the cutter.

Yes. And I agree, the storm after the cutter still looks very interesting.

I would donate $100 to each member of this sub-forum in order to see these types of posts again this winter: http://www.americanw...al/page__st__35

Ah, that was a stroll down memory lane...good times, i will never forget that storm. the winds on the island were intense, there's nothing like walking in the middle of town, with the road deserted, 60 mph winds in whiteout conditions with 1.5 feet on the ground. My fiance was texting me worried i had gotten lost or something.

The best is when i dragged her outside with me to a schoolyard near our apt to watch the storm...she thought i was actually insane.

The surprise storm 1/19 i think was crazy as well. I think forecast was for 6 inches and we ended up with 18! HA, that was awesome!

When it actually counts, its usually the reverse...torch east end, still below freezing in CPK...

My point exactly.. The east end radiates well during clear calm nights due to the soil etc.. but during events they torch.. I would hate to be a winter weather lover and live out there. It would be torcher..

My point exactly.. The east end radiates well during clear calm nights due to the soil but during events they torch.. I would hate to be a winter weather lover and live out there. It would be torcher..

Sometimes it pays though, there have been times, 2009/2010 for example, where they jackpotted out there, i think patchogue recorded 38 inches of snow or some insane number in one storm in 2009/2010...

Very rarely does it pay. And I highly doubt 38" in one snowfall.. lol

It was some absurd number...maybe december 2009...im sure a board member will whip out the stat...i did find this info while searching though...

Temperatures in Nassau and Suffolk are similar. The winter average for Nassau is 33.7 degrees Fahrenheit, compared to a summer average of 72.7 degrees. In Suffolk, the winter average is 32.4 and summer average is 71.9 degrees.

The Nassau area receives about 45 inches of rain, compared to 42 inches for Suffolk. Snow falls at about 26.9 inches per year in Nassau and 30 inches for Suffolk.

Suffolk is colder with more snow in the winter...

It was some absurd number...maybe december 2009...im sure a board member will whip out the stat...i did find this info while searching though...

Temperatures in Nassau and Suffolk are similar. The winter average for Nassau is 33.7 degrees Fahrenheit, compared to a summer average of 72.7 degrees. In Suffolk, the winter average is 32.4 and summer average is 71.9 degrees.

The Nassau area receives about 45 inches of rain, compared to 42 inches for Suffolk. Snow falls at about 26.9 inches per year in Nassau and 30 inches for Suffolk.

They are colder due to their ability to cool down during nights like last night. But dont expect that to happen when it matters. And Suffolk is snowier than NYC due to their longitude.. But not by much..

They are colder due to their ability to cool down during nights like last night. But dont expect that to happen when it matters. And Suffolk is snowier than NYC due to their longitude.. But not by much..

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/us/21snow.html?pagewanted=all

Upton got 26.3 inches in the December 19 storm...im 100% positive there were totals over 30 inches out there

Im sure the immediate northern suburbs like HPN average more than lets say 75 miles east of NYC..

Im sure the immediate northern suburbs like HPN average more than lets say 75 miles east of NYC..

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Im just saying SOMETIMES it pays to be out east...thats it...in general it sucks to be out east, very rare to have an all snow coastal storm out there...but sometimes they jackpot when the rest of the area, bar eastern CT, dont...

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Im just saying SOMETIMES it pays to be out east...thats it...in general it sucks to be out east, very rare to have an all snow coastal storm out there...but sometimes they jackpot when the rest of the area, bar eastern CT, dont...

I agree with you that it sometimes does pay to live out east but thats on rare occasion. I would think thats how they get most of their snowfall... Events that either skirt the coast or just east of the benchmark like the last 2 yrs.. Most storms that ride up the coast dryslot the east end with 40/50 degree temps..

I agree with you that it sometimes does pay to live out east but thats on rare occasion. I would think thats how they get most of their snowfall... Events that either skirt the coast or just east of the benchmark like the last 2 yrs.. Most storms that ride up the coast dryslot the east end with 40/50 degree temps..

Having lived in queens, nassau and extreme northwest suffolk, id have to say northwest suffolk did the best in terms of snowfall...

While they take longer to changeover than queens and nassau, for some reason that area seems to jackpot alot as well. Nassau County in general seems to be a sort of snow hole...Never really jackpotting...usually NJ/NYC jacpots, or eastern long island, very hard to get a setup i guess where Nassau is in the bullseye...

Yet western suffolk is cold enough to stay snow in many semi-coastal huggers where the east end gets screwed, yet far enough east to cash in on slight further off the coast storms as well...

Having lived in queens, nassau and extreme northwest suffolk, id have to say northwest suffolk did the best in terms of snowfall...

While they take longer to changeover than queens and nassau, for some reason that area seems to jackpot alot as well. Nassau County in general seems to be a sort of snow hole...Never really jackpotting...usually NJ/NYC jacpots, or eastern long island, very hard to get a setup i guess where Nassau is in the bullseye...

Yet western suffolk is cold enough to stay snow in many semi-coastal huggers where the east end gets screwed, yet far enough east to cash in on slight further off the coast storms as well...

SE CT is the ultimate snowhole.. lol

Archived