clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote is pretty ludicrous. Nearly everyone in the NYC area (including JFK) has hit freezing this year. If not for UHI, central park would have as well

Yea, except that about half the metro area lives in the UHI, so what Central Park measures is pretty representative of what many New York residents experience. In fact, most of Manhattan is usually a couple of degrees WARMER.

Yea, except that about half the metro area lives in the UHI, so what Central Park measures is pretty representative of what many New York residents experience. In fact, most of Manhattan is usually a couple of degrees WARMER.

That depends how far you define the urban heat island. If you are talking about just Manhattan, it is way less than half of the metro area's population.

Not my point.....when the vast majority of the region (including JFK) got to freezing and the park did not, UHI is the only logical explanation, which is why I think that the looking at freezes is irrelevant now. When 99.9% of the region has been below freezing, should we follow the 0.1% that has a reporting station?

That depends how far you define the urban heat island. If you are talking about just Manhattan, it is way less than half of the metro area's population.

The UHI is practically 100% of Manhattan/Bkln/Queens/The Bronx, parts of Staten Island, small parts of Nassau and Westchester Counties, and in NJ most of Hudson County and small parts of Union and Essex Counties.

Not my point.....when the vast majority of the region (including JFK) got to freezing and the park did not, UHI is the only logical explanation, which is why I think that the looking at freezes is irrelevant now. When 99.9% of the region has been below freezing, should we follow the 0.1% that has a reporting station?

More than 0.1% of the region has not been below freezing. Most of NYC proper hasn't gotten below freezing, where a good number of us live. LGA hasn't gotten below 33, just like the park. A survey of the PWSs in NYC proper reflect this as well.

The UHI affects the weather for about half the metro area population, so it is certainly relevant.

The UHI is practically 100% of Manhattan/Bkln/Queens/The Bronx, parts of Staten Island, small parts of Nassau and Westchester Counties, and in NJ most of Hudson County and small parts of Union and Essex Counties.

I think that is a very generous definition. I wouldn't include any of Staten Island, The Bronx, or Northern queens in that. And none of nassau or westchester. But that's just me.

I think that is a very generous definition. I wouldn't include any of Staten Island, The Bronx, or Northern queens in that. And none of nassau or westchester. But that's just me.

You don't think any part of the Bronx would be included? Population density would beg to differ:

NY County (Manhattan): 70940/sq mi

Kings County (Bkln): 36358/sq mi

Queens County (Qns): 21117/sq mi

Bronx County (Bx): 33247/sq mi

The densities in western Nassau are around 10,000/sq mi (zip code 11570, for example, has a pop density of 10,107).

Yonkers, NY in Westchester has a pop density of 10,827/sq mi.

Now note, the population densities of Philly and DC are around 10,000/sq mi, and practically all of DC except far NW (by American U/Chevy Chase) and all of Philly except NE Philly are in the UHI there.

How are the models looking any storms coming?

cutoff in the sw ejects towards the lakes. gfs has minor backbuilding of a low in NE canada which builds a temp block albeit weak and too far north...but it could be good for ski resorts up north and prob eastern New England as the weak block allows the low to reform along the coast, but way too late for us.

More than 0.1% of the region has not been below freezing. Most of NYC proper hasn't gotten below freezing, where a good number of us live. LGA hasn't gotten below 33, just like the park. A survey of the PWSs in NYC proper reflect this as well.

The UHI affects the weather for about half the metro area population, so it is certainly relevant.

95on4n.jpg

95on4n.jpg

I still don't understand why they did that, did anywhere actually go "sub-freezing" other than the suburbs to the north and west? (yes I know JFK hit 32 which isn't exactly "sub-freezing")

The growing season "ended" in October but I saw flowers out yesterday. Lol sure, I think they ended it (officially) a bit prematurely but what do I know.

And yet I have had heavy frost a bunch of times already. I even had frozen pools of water on the roof of a supermarket across from my building one morning. LGA was about 9 degrees warmer that morning and I am literally 4 miles east of the airport. I wouldn't use them as a gauge for how much of the city outside of Manhattan has reached freezing.

I still don't understand why they did that, did anywhere actually go "sub-freezing" other than the suburbs to the north and west? (yes I know JFK hit 32 which isn't exactly "sub-freezing")

The growing season "ended" in October but I saw flowers out yesterday. Lol sure, I think they ended it (officially) a bit prematurely but what do I know.

Yea we've still got plenty of flowers and green leaves in the city. This weekend should be the death knell for them, however.

Really? You think only the suburbs north and west went below freezing? If JFK hit 32, then i guarantee central and northern nassau were colder, especially eastern. All of suffolk has been in the 20's, check it out, even FMG. I think islip went down to 28.

Eastern Queens definitely went below 32, near cunningham park, jamaica estate, douglaston, etc...

Archived