Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

Say hello to the 6 Z GFS...

The GFS has been consistently switching between these three solutions because those are the solutions that the ENS show. Usually about 1/3 have shown a solution that is good for I-95, while a few take it inland, and others take it OTS. These have consistently balanced the mean out to show a solution just off of the coast. There were also some really interesting GEFS Individual snow maps from 6z today.

06zensc000snow144.gif

c000 looks about the same as 0z.

06zensp001snow138.gif

Another colder solution for I-95.

06zensn001snow138.gif

NYC does well on this one. :weenie:

06zensp003snow138.gif

Congrats Philly/C NJ :lol: This Individual ENS shows more of an OTS scenario, so thus less snow.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The #1 CIPS analog for the MA/SE region on the 00Z GFS for 120 hours is 12/13/89 which was a storm that hit DC/MD/DE very hard but completely missed our area, we received an epic bust ourselves about 36-48 hours later on the 14th and 15th. I think that this event is too timing sensitive to know much inside 72-84 hours whats going to happen, I doubt this will be a big time inland tracker, it could go slightly inland but its more likely to be a miss to the east I think.

Just had a chance to look over the analogs. Only half of the analogs had a snowfall map available but of those I was surprised to find 5 of them actually show a hit for the mid Atlantic with only two showing hits farther north. Don't really follow the analogs that much so don't know their worth or tendencies but I did note that looking over the 500's of those that shows snow that have very little similarities to the 00Z mean projected for 120. If that means anything. :)

The 6z GFS would be perfect for places around here since it gives several inches of snow.and then it gets real cold for at least a few days afterward, therefore preserving the snow. It would pretty much save the month of December if this happened.

It's only the first week of December :weenie:

Control run of the 0z Euro keeps us on the NW fringe of the snow shield with only a dusting or so of accumulation on Thursday. 850's are around -5 the entire time. It really goes crazy with the storm the middle of the following week that the GFS also shows, taking a low from like Missouri to the DelMarva and deepening to a 996mb low as it exits the coast. Total precip of around 2 inches with most of it rain, but with 850's only around +2 or +3 and changing to snow before ending on Thursday afternoon with a few inches of accumulation. It is long duration also, all day Wednesday and Thursday. It keeps us cold the entire time, through 360 hrs with the warmest basically being for that storm and just before it, but no real warmth at all through the run.

Where can I get the control run?

How funny would it be, through all that doom and gloom about December and winter as a whole, that we get a significant snow event and a below average temperature month. Any snow may be a long shot but it's certainly possible. Regardless of the snow, it definitely looks rather cold for a couple of weeks.

It's certainly possible. Some people don't see that happening though . :bag:

GFS just about almost back to what the models had last week. Stronger shortwave this run and less of an influence from the PV. Slowly gaining confidence on a rain storm now. GFS ensembles and ensemble mean should be interesting. Also for what it is worth H5 of the NAM has a stronger shortwave now and just about every SREF member is still stronger and more held back with the shortwave energy.

Someone please write something about the upcoming system that will make me believe that we might get some snow out of it. Go!

despite being sheared out, the associated vort max has a concentrated core. the strong pva leads me to believe that a heavy banded precip will be present. the fact that it's getting sheared out also leans toward a more southern system

despite being sheared out, the associated vort max has a concentrated core. the strong pva leads me to believe that a heavy banded precip will be present. the fact that it's getting sheared out also leans toward a more southern system

there's a trof split which helps... the northern side of the splitting trof acts as a de facto source of confluence, despite the fast flow and low pressure in southern canada. however, any timing differences with the speed of this northern side will change the forecast.

there's a trof split which helps... the northern side of the splitting trof acts as a de facto source of confluence, despite the fast flow and low pressure in southern canada. however, any timing differences with the speed of this northern side will change the forecast.

as well as the location of the polar vortex

euro is colored

post-63-0-13873700-1323046618.gif

Archived