happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, and the 0z run of the Euro hinted at this. Notice how screwed up the 12z run of the Euro was today in comparison. This looks nearly like what the 0z run of the Euro showed for potential next weekend although it did not quite come together. There was also a lot of hinting on prior runs of the GFS to a storm for the following weekend. The control run of the Euro that goes out to 360 hrs has also been showing this potential. Let's see what happens.

Cold storm too, with highs in perfect spot.

Big shift east on the GFS :lol:

f120.gif

Nice to finally see a somewhat better agreement with the models, but regarding any snow potential, it's still the same issue with the cold air not catching up to the low pressure until it's out of the area. It's a coastal now, apparently a more likely solution based on the recent models, but still rain for the area. 850mb temps are below zero only for NW NJ, but 925mb temps are above freezing.

It is usually not as good as the operational run at all, but like I said, when the operational is looking screwey it gives you a good idea of a more likely outcome. When the operational run screwed up with it's out to sea solution on two runs back in October, the control run continued showing the more likely solution of a direct hit. I think that is what we are seeing here. I did not believe the operational run's out to sea solution today and this is a clear indication that it is likely wrong. It is much closer to the ensemble mean that was posted earlier and much closer to the solutions depicted by the NOGAPS, Canadian, and JMA.

Thanks, that's what I thought since I never heard of that model before. I doubt the OTS solution on the ECM verifies, but that cold ECM control solution seems very unlikely as well.

Nice to finally see a somewhat better agreement with the models, but regarding any snow potential, it's still the same issue with the cold air not catching up to the low pressure until it's out of the area. It's a coastal now, apparently a more likely solution based on the recent models, but still rain for the area. 850mb temps are below zero only for NW NJ, but 925mb temps are above freezing.

For more cold air to wrap around the low, we need more phasing to take place. But that could also bring the low further west and warm us up. This is why blocking is helpful.

That snow event has similarities at 500mb to the 2/23/89 event and fits as one of the few ways you can get an East Coast snow event with a +NAO with the progressive ridge out west so the system does not have enough time to tilt negative and go inland, the problem is this sort of setup is so prone to being more of a New England event or a complete miss altogether.

That snow event has similarities at 500mb to the 2/23/89 event and fits as one of the few ways you can get an East Coast snow event with a +NAO with the progressive ridge out west so the system does not have enough time to tilt negative and go inland, the problem is this sort of setup is so prone to being more of a New England event or a complete miss altogether.

Not to mention that its all rain all the way to Middletown and none of the ensembles have it.

i don't think the JMA is better than the GFS...the 500mb AC plot is only looking at the last month...The GFS has had a difficult few weeks so it's correlations happen to be quite low right now...it's typically third...just behind the UKMET...ahead of the Canadian and the FNMOC. I think the JMA was just recently added the EMC model verification.

I really wonder if people here actually enjoy the cold or is it the idea of snow that makes them want cold.

Another thing I realized is that I've never lived through a winter with negative temperatures, 1994 came close at KJFK but no cigar (please correct me if I'm wrong), 2004 came close as well.

I recorded -0.6 in Queens in January 2004.

I really wonder if people here actually enjoy the cold or is it the idea of snow that makes them want cold.

Another thing I realized is that I've never lived through a winter with negative temperatures, 1994 came close at KJFK but no cigar (please correct me if I'm wrong), 2004 came close as well.

I love cold weather.

Archived