happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The control run of the 12z Euro has about .6 inches of precipitation at NYC on Thursday between 120-132 hrs with 850's around -5 the whole time. Storm forms over the Western Carolinas on Wednesday night and exits near Virginia Beach on Thursday around mid-day, remaining well southeast of our area with cold air in place.

I don't know exactly, but it is going to end up being a hell of a lot better with the eventual outcome than the operational run was today, I can tell you that. It often picks up on things that the operational run screws up on. I use it mainly when there is a good degree of uncertainty with the operational run, like today when it looks screwed up. It is something similar to an ensemble mean, but not exactly.

What the hell is the control run? :unsure:

I don't know exactly, but it is going to end up being a hell of a lot better with the eventual outcome than the operational run was today, I can tell you that. It often picks up on things that the operational run screws up on. I use it mainly when there is a good degree of uncertainty with the operational run, like today when it looks screwed up. It is something similar to an ensemble mean, but not exactly.

Do you know about its accuracy?

It is usually not as good as the operational run at all, but like I said, when the operational is looking screwey it gives you a good idea of a more likely outcome. When the operational run screwed up with it's out to sea solution on two runs back in October, the control run continued showing the more likely solution of a direct hit. I think that is what we are seeing here. I did not believe the operational run's out to sea solution today and this is a clear indication that it is likely wrong. It is much closer to the ensemble mean that was posted earlier and much closer to the solutions depicted by the NOGAPS, Canadian, and JMA.

Do you know about its accuracy?

Remember, the Euro control run is actually MUCH colder with -5 at 850mb with this basic track and precip and this run of the GFS actually gives the NW burbs some snow according to soundings, in fact, far NW burbs would be nearly all snow according to soundings. This track is nearly identical to the control run of the Euro I was just talking about, but about 5 degrees warmer at 850 on the GFS.

Remember, the Euro control run is actually MUCH colder with -5 with this basic track and precip and this run of the GFS actually gives the NW burbs some snow according to soundings, in fact, far NW burbs would be nearly all snow according to soundings.

Thats the Euro....control run? Tell me more.

One thing I will say for sure. I will trust this run much, much more than the previous run. We can at least look at what it shows later down the line because it seems like it did a very good job earlier on to me.

That next shortwave dropping in at day 6, is a little interesting. Might cut inland, but let's see.

Archived