• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
Banter and BS December 2011

Alpha5

Thats the problem with this subforum... Not everyone in the Tri-State lives in NYC & LI. In case you didnt know... areas 50+ miles NW of the NYC have a climate similar to interior SNE.. My snowfall avg is close to doubled that of CPK..

In this sub forum the only people that average twice the snow of KNYC is you and the bears my good man.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he's arguing semantics. He's arguing that the specificity of the JMA model output is lacking and drawing conclusions based on 24 hour increments may or may not be accurate.

Chances are that it's warm and wet and then cold and dry though. Even he says so.

Its easy to see it as a pretty sharp cutoff in the frontal boundary as it moves through...you look at 96h where the R/S is and then look at how much precip fell behind that line on the 120 panel...almost zippo. Its an awful setup for big (or even little) anafrontal snow...at least as the JMA depicts.

I am sure that you are probably right. What are your thoughts about the Canadian? That is very close to a major snowstorm for some.

Where? It's all rain for NJ and NYC also. 850 line and thicknesses never get cold enough until there is almost no precip left. But it's close enough for hills of NWNJ to be interested.

Snow is in upstate NY and Vermont/NH

I am sure that you are probably right. What are your thoughts about the Canadian? That is very close to a major snowstorm for some.

The Canadian is the closest thing to accumulating snow...almost exclusively in the far interior areas with good elevation. Even it taken at face value is almost all rain, but its at least pretty close for those mentioned areas.

Thank you for your input. It is very nice to have a pro met in here to keep us in line.

The Canadian is the closest thing to accumulating snow...almost exclusively in the far interior areas with good elevation. Even it taken at face value is almost all rain, but its at least pretty close for those mentioned areas.

Its easy to see it as a pretty sharp cutoff in the frontal boundary as it moves through...you look at 96h where the R/S is and then look at how much precip fell behind that line on the 120 panel...almost zippo. Its an awful setup for big (or even little) anafrontal snow...at least as the JMA depicts.

I agree there are other factors that can be used to determine with more accuracy the precip type and precip amounts, such as atmosphere saturation, position of the rain/snow line as you mentioned, total precip remaining in the following time frames, etc. The fact that they are still 24 hour increments though is a limiting factor in some instances and I'm not necessarily referring to this case. For example the depiction on the JMA is pretty cut and dry, IMO.

I agree there are other factors that can be used to determine with more accuracy the precip type and precip amounts, such as atmosphere saturation, position of the rain/snow line as you mentioned, total precip remaining in the following time frames, etc. The fact that they are still 24 hour increments though is a limiting factor in some instances and I'm not necessarily referring to this case. For example the depiction on the JMA is pretty cut and dry, IMO.

I definitely agree that in more ambiguous setups, the 24h panels of the JMA render it pretty useless and leaves it open for a lot of interpretation.

Thankfully its a pretty poor model WRT east coast snowstorms and we don't have to wonder all the time what it shows in between panels like we have done for years on the Euro increments.

I wouldn't get excited about the Wednesday-Thursday storm for NYC and most of N NJ as well. There is a coastal shown on some models, but even the models that do show a coastal low still show that the cold won't catch up to the low pressure until the storm is out of the NYC area (going back to the 12-24 modeled precip topic). Perhaps back end flakes in NW NJ, but I wouldn't count on snow in NYC and most of N NJ out of this.

It nailed the October snowstorm and held onto it even when the Euro dropped it for a while.

I definitely agree that in more ambiguous setups, the 24h panels of the JMA render it pretty useless and leaves it open for a lot of interpretation.

Thankfully its a pretty poor model WRT east coast snowstorms and we don't have to wonder all the time what it shows in between panels like we have done for years on the Euro increments.

The control run of the 12z Euro that just came out is a guaranteed snow with a low taking a very similar path but just southeast of the JMA, NOGAPS, Canadian, and FIM, exiting the coast near Virginia Beach, with 850's around -5 in all locations in our area. Precip amounts around .3 give or take. Precip starting in the early morning on Thursday and ending in the afternoon.

It nailed the October snowstorm and held onto it even when the Euro dropped it for a while.

That's the way the JMA is...it nails nearly every big snowstorm because it shows them with unrealistic frequency through the cold season. So when a big storm finally verifies, everybody talks about how great the JMA was in "Nailing" the storm. But for every hit, there are 10-15 false alarms.

That's the way the JMA is...it nails nearly every big snowstorm because it shows them with unrealistic frequency through the cold season. So when a big storm finally verifies, everybody talks about how great the JMA was in "Nailing" the storm. But for every hit, there are 10-15 false alarms.

This.

The banter thread is an awesome spot to determine who to put on ignore. :lol:

this thread has really fallen apart in terms of weather disco. Even though it was a banter thread it had some good disco but the weenism that last few days with JMA posts, incorrect interpration of what models are showing, blatently wrong explanations of things, etc. have made it kinda sad. Oh well, John started a real disco thread, so that's good, but even a banter thread should have some level of dignity in terms of the weather discussed.

THE SECOND CAMP (SUPPORTED BY THE LATEST ECMWF AND THE LATEST NAEFS

SLATE OF FORECASTS) SUGGESTS THAT THE SHORT WAVE ENERGY EJECTED

FROM THE LONG WAVE TROUGH WILL COME OUT IN PIECES. THESE SOLUTIONS

ALSO SUGGEST A COLDER OVERALL SOLUTION...WHICH COULD MEAN A

PRECIPITATION TYPE ISSUE FOR LATER WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY

MORNING. THIS WOULD BE MOST LIKELY NORTH AND WEST OF THE I 95

CORRIDOR...AND EVEN THE LATEST GEFS PLUMES SUPPORT SOME TYPE OF

PRECIPITATION ISSUE HERE.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS: IT LOOKS AS THOUGH THERE WILL BE A SECOND

SHOT OF PRECIPITATION LATER WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY...BUT TIMING

WILL CONTINUE TO BE AN ISSUE. THE AIRMASS SOURCE IS STILL MOIST...

WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR MORE HEAVY RAIN. WHETHER OR NOT THERE WILL BE

A PRECIPITATION TYPE ISSUE IS STILL MUCH TOO EARLY TO CALL...BUT

WILL HAVE TO BE EXAMINED WITH TIME.

It's verification scores are currently superior to the GFS from 5-8 days out.

Archived