Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12Z GFS is resolutely refusing to bite on the 0Z ECM idea on driving the next cold shot (the post 144 hrs) so far southwest and setting up the gradient, etc.....

It gets at or below normal for awhile in the Northeast on the GFS, but any bitter air locked up in Canada with that vortex in northern HB region.

The 00z Euro ensembles in the long range past about D12 or 13 look kind of like an electrical bath pattern. Most of the CONUS is above avg.

Hopefully its breaking down the western ridging too quickly. I'm with Scooter that the D9-10 time frame def has potential for some type of winter threat...we'll just hope it doesn't get too amped up into a cutter. But that time period has been on the radar for awhile looking at the general pattern.

The 12Z GFS is resolutely refusing to bite on the 0Z ECM idea on driving the next cold shot (the post 144 hrs) so far southwest and setting up the gradient, etc.....

It gets at or below normal for awhile in the Northeast on the GFS, but any bitter air locked up in Canada with that vortex in northern HB region.

I don't think we'll get any bitter air. With any luck, we can get enough cold seepage south. That atmospheric highway the Phil speaks of, courtesy of the se ridge, could help us out with something of a more coastal type low...or could easily flex and send everything west. You could get the sense of something around hr 180 trying to get going.

The 00z Euro ensembles in the long range past about D12 or 13 look kind of like an electrical bath pattern. Most of the CONUS is above avg.

Hopefully its breaking down the western ridging too quickly. I'm with Scooter that the D9-10 time frame def has potential for some type of winter threat...we'll just hope it doesn't get too amped up into a cutter. But that time period has been on the radar for awhile looking at the general pattern.

Good post I agree with this 100%.

I think we may get lucky around D10 but if the storm track is too far NW we're toast. I think the growing consensus is we may have to get concerned again about the ugly pattern reloading past D15.

But if you look at certain periods, say 180 hours on the 12z vs 192 last night the "plunge" of cold air into NE is muted and it's more directed towards Chicago. The western edge is also blunted too.

Instead of being a more broad area, it's got a deeper bend to it and later an associated system develops well ENE of us.

I'll ride the Euro. The GFS being too cold isn't a shocker even though the "new" GFS only has one year under its belt I'm not going to be surprised if in this pattern it has a persistent cold bias.

hopefully thu-sat of next week we can finally string together consecutive normal or slightly below temps....though could easily still be +1 to +4 type of stuff.

edit: for that matter, they way we've seen the ridging want to fight...lets get 1 below day.

Now I see you've come to your senses. It's seasonable today, a good start and hopefully we can build on this in the days and weeks ahead.

I hope to see a serious cold shot on the Euro over the next day or two that hits us. The GFS has been really bad in this pattern and I just can't believe any of it until it actually has identifiably rebounded.

GEFS didn't change all that much except to bring up heights out west and in the GOA. The EC ensembles also tried to do this in the final 24 hours, but not before knocking down that GOA ridge and allowing for a more unfavorable regime near mid month. It's still very unclear what will happen around mid month, but I's take a compromise for sure. If I had to guess..we may be seeing a little too much bias with each model.

It still a little too close for comfort with the se ridge, but we'll have to deal. Hoping we can get something in the 8-10 day.

hopefully thu-sat of next week we can finally string together consecutive normal or slightly below temps....though could easily still be +1 to +4 type of stuff.

edit: for that matter, they way we've seen the ridging want to fight...lets get 1 below day.

It looks like one of those patterns where PHL is +10, BDL/BOS is avg and BTV is -10

i'm realizing how tired i am of talking about this weather pattern. we're going on 4 weeks now.

A few days ago I mentioned that it was brutal to have nothing to track. At least there are a few opportunities now showing up so the worst is behind us presumably.

I don't see any signs we're going back into the pattern we are just exiting now. As Scott is saying probably a compromise between what we'd really like to have and what we're just exiting. Beats a stick in the eye.

It looks like one of those patterns where PHL is +10, BDL/BOS is avg and BTV is -10

i'll take average over what we've seen/are seeing.

the way the GFS dumps the cold down into the conus, it holds onto the WSW flow through all levels. that's such a craptastic way to get cold into new england, especially given lack of snow cover to our west and time of year. that looks like one of those deals where it's actually well below normal out by the lakes but we're still in the middle 40s without much trouble.

i guess beggars can't be choosers at this point. :lol:

the way the GFS dumps the cold down into the conus, it holds onto the WSW flow through all levels. that's such a craptastic way to get cold into new england, especially given lack of snow cover to our west and time of year. that looks like one of those deals where it's actually well below normal out by the lakes but we're still in the middle 40s without much trouble.

I'm hoping that high in the middle of the country has some staying power. At least the flow is nw at the surface which should help to cool us off, but I know what you mean. You don't want the cold air to hit a wall near the Lakes and deflect to the north. I guess if anything...there may be a gradient nearby and associated storm track, so that's a plus. I'm still semi optimistic for something.

Yes. The much heralded pattern change will bring in average at best wx over a 5 day period (hopefully a snow event too) and then unfortunately it looks like we could set up for a reload of the older crappier pattern.

I'm hoping that high in the middle of the country has some staying power. At least the flow is nw at the surface which should help to cool us off, but I know what you mean. You don't want the cold air to hit a wall near the Lakes and deflect to the north. I guess if anything...there may be a gradient nearby and associated storm track, so that's a plus. I'm still semi optimistic for something.

anything is better than 54F and sunny at this point.

Archived