Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to be feeling good about your chances up that way..Pike on north. Especially given what you said about the models underestimating the cold from a -EPO. Down this way it could be a little more iffy as to which side of the gradient we're on. I'm game for a :weenie: icestorm though.

Eh, I feel so-so. I'm still worried this SE ridge gets too tilted to the N...but hopefully the -EPO comes through for us.

I'd like to see the lower heights press a little further into SE Canada than we've been seeing. That can be the difference between us barely cashing in nicely on a gradient pattern and getting screwed completely...even pretty far into NNE.

The further north, the better for sure though.

Euros always a good reality check in either side of the guidance. I thought the cutoff developing NE of HI by the end of the run was a good sign which could help keep more ridging in AK. Nothing great on the euro, cool, cold, rain, showers, cool..etc. However as Will and others have noted the cold part of these patterns is frequently underdone. I'm not sure I'd bet on that in this regime..

And the end of the run offers some signs that we'd at least be somewhat normal in the big picture.

I only looked at the Euro to H180 on the weather undergound maps.... But I noted that the Euro is dumping a lot of energy into the far Southwest while the GFS and GGEM much less. This could go to the ECM bias there....

In the 84-120 hour period I'd probably side more with the Euro.

Euros always a good reality check in either side of the guidance. I thought the cutoff developing NE of HI by the end of the run was a good sign which could help keep more ridging in AK. Nothing great on the euro, cool, cold, rain, showers, cool..etc. However as Will and others have noted the cold part of these patterns is frequently underdone. I'm not sure I'd bet on that in this regime..

And the end of the run offers some signs that we'd at least be somewhat normal in the big picture.

I think models maybe giving the se ridge a little too much credit, while its damn impressive so is the gathering cold in Canada, perhaps some surprises mid month, actually pretty encouraging this morning.

I wonder if we start to see some real threats showing up on models by Sunday or so.

I don't think the GFS is as bad as people are saying in the 6-10 day. I don't see the euro op as much better.

I really don't take what the models output is after day 7 with much credibility anyway, I will look at the ensembles going forward from there, Pretty stark differences with the GFS and the Euro from 1-6 days though, I would have to side with the Euro

Are they manageable though?

Yeah they are for the most part, but remember it is an ensemble mean, so you won't be able to tell if we get colder storms or cutters. Mid month may get mild again, but it's early to get specific with details. That threat I mentioned a post back looks like it's on the table for something wintry so that might be our first trackable event. However, it could also be a mix to rain as well. I think this threat has some legs to it, but you can't hype it up yet at all.

Things really looking up today, very encouraged, like Will and Scooter were discussing yesterday, the vodka cold in Canada could only be a good thing, but this pattern will break hearts some will dance in dendrties while others rant in raindrops.

I don't things have changed all that much. We're still in that time frame where we don't exactly know what will transpire and mid month could revert back to a crappier pattern temporarily. I guess I'm semi-optimistic about this next threat.

I am optimistic for the next threat Scooter, at least perhaps something to track, one week at a time, one threat at a time, I think wild extremes will be unavoidable in this pattern. I dont see anything that screams sustained cold but some is better than none, and hopefully we can time things right for the holidays.

I am optimistic for the next threat Scooter, at least perhaps something to track, one week at a time, one threat at a time, I think wild extremes will be unavoidable in this pattern. I dont see anything that screams sustained cold but some is better than none, and hopefully we can time things right for the holidays.

If I lived in the interior and NNE I would have higher hopes too.

Maybe if we play our cards right, we can get more of a cstl low as there are signs it could happen, but I would play it safe and just hope for some sort of SWFE.

Classic Scooter caution. :)

I like that it's become more interesting and in true MRG fashion I will say that big big winter is incoming and surprises may be imminent.

I don't things have changed all that much. We're still in that time frame where we don't exactly know what will transpire and mid month could revert back to a crappier pattern temporarily. I guess I'm semi-optimistic about this next threat.

When does the data on the stratosphere come out?

We have had at least a couple days of it warming. Hopefully it can continue

Yeah they are for the most part, but remember it is an ensemble mean, so you won't be able to tell if we get colder storms or cutters. Mid month may get mild again, but it's early to get specific with details. That threat I mentioned a post back looks like it's on the table for something wintry so that might be our first trackable event. However, it could also be a mix to rain as well. I think this threat has some legs to it, but you can't hype it up yet at all.

"Mixes to rain" count as wintry, too in my book.

Archived