Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December is probably not going to be an extremely wintry and cold month. It may be one of those "take what you can get" months, meaning that the overall pattern isn't very wintry, but may offer a few chances. Maybe it ends up better, but that is how I'm approaching it right now. At least it doesn't look like a total train wreck.

18z GEFS are still quite cold for us in a well defined gradient pattern past D9. The temp gradient is pretty impressive for that far out on an ensemble mean. It definitely looks like we'd have some chances based on that.

Euro ensembles are a bit more precarious though not horrible.

Is the concern that we never see cold, or lack of storminess, or both?

The concern is the latitude of the cold...how far south can the deeper cold get. We'll want a good enough push so we can withstand WAA in a SWFE.

I think the storms will be there...they frequently are in gradient patterns. Get a strong thermal gradient and storminess will happen. The concern is the gradient gets too tilted and we end up on the bad side of it. I'm hoping the -EPO gives a strong enough push of the cold...it often does, but nothing is guaranteed.

The concern is the latitude of the cold...how far south can the deeper cold get. We'll want a good enough push so we can withstand WAA in a SWFE.

I think the storms will be there...they frequently are in gradient patterns. Get a strong thermal gradient and storminess will happen. The concern is the gradient gets too tilted and we end up on the bad side of it. I'm hoping the -EPO gives a strong enough push of the cold...it often does, but nothing is guaranteed.

I'd take the 18z GEFS in a heartbeat.

December is probably not going to be an extremely wintry and cold month. It may be one of those "take what you can get" months, meaning that the overall pattern isn't very wintry, but may offer a few chances. Maybe it ends up better, but that is how I'm approaching it right now. At least it doesn't look like a total train wreck.

Judging by some of the posts today you'd think the entire month was going be above normal with no snow..Sure glad we don't live in the midatlantic or anywhere near DC

Judging by some of the posts today you'd think the entire month was going be above normal with no snow..Sure glad we don't live in the midatlantic or anywhere near DC

We certainly do run the risk of getting screwed in this pattern...but hopefully we don't. The further south you go though, the pattern does become just brutal for any type of winter wx threat.

Again, we want to see this -EPO give us a solid push of cold air that can try and establish itself over us and SE Canada for a time.

So when does it snow again in Boston Pete? Accumulating snows

Well, Boston is of little concern to me. Frankly, other than the fact that I like Jerry, Scott and the rest of the eastern gang, I would be perfectly happy to see them have a Winter of mixed events as long as I cashed in here in the distant, elevated interior. That said, I think it's reasonable to expect they'll see some snow by mid month. I'm selfishly only concerned with my area and points North. I'm optimistic that I'll be the benificiary of multiple low end warning events with perhaps a few Bombs thrown in for good measure in the second half. I think that cold is the real deal and I also think it will make it's presence felt in the GL/NE.

I think you just hit it right on! You had mentioned it a while back along with others, Decembers have been very kind tothe majority for the past several years, you come to expect it to be good when you get spoiled with the goods so to speak. Obviously what I expect in my area and what someone further to the NW expects is different for December. Ifyou can cash in on a chance or two when things break your way with some decentcold in place then you might just get what you are suppose to average for themonth, it does not always have to be a monster! Maybe it’s the kind of winter where most nickel and dime their way to average who knows really! I am just going to take what we have now and deal with it! Like others have said also I would really be bothered if we went hard early and then things went to hell in a hand basket come the middle of winter. I am just going to roll with it and hopefully we can maybe start to shake things up as wehead toward the 2nd half of December and beyond.

I think we need a strong CF with a couple of days of strong CAA to drive the thermal boundary south, skim the warm layer off the SSTs, knock down the ridge axis and we score. -EPO, Santa Ana winds, Arctic air nearby, I would be very surprised if there is not a short lead winter storm after the 10th.

From Ryan Maue's site.... another reason why the 18z GFS is likely far too cold.

As you can see it's only the horrific runs that are higher in the index and of course..are more likely to be right based on a 3 week stinkfest on the models/the GFS has been at this for weeks now and has been terrible.

The only ice we'll be seeing will be on the rocks at the bottom of our glasses

As you can see it's only the horrific runs that are higher in the index and of course..are more likely to be right based on a 3 week stinkfest on the models/the GFS has been at this for weeks now and has been terrible.

The euro hasn't been much better. I think the models were just way to gung ho in breaking down the +AO.

Based on the information seen today and the past couple days besides the 12/1/11 18z GFS, then yes most of this month is going to suck. When the gradient sets up over montreal instead of NYC then I'd say were in for a good part of the month being above normal with rain or being normal or below normal with no snow.

Do you mean this?

http://www.cpc.ncep....ent.ascii.table

The funniest thing right now is how bad the 10 day NAO ensemble forecasts were, for example we verified around +1.6, the Day 10 forecast was around -0.1

thanks for the link

if i'm reading this correctly, then the NAO in december 2007 was 0.34

thats a big difference from where it is now, and goes along with my suspicions....

Wait... I shouldn't be tying the noose yet?

Take what we can get month. It could be worse, that's for sure. Hopefully that cold dump has some legs as it moves east. There should be storms riding along that boundary for sure, obviously we know what the risks our if the trough out west gets too strong.

We need something to press the heights in E Canada down a bit...hopefully the EPO is enough to do it with the model biases of under estimating -EPO cold...but we run the risk of having the SE ridge too tilted vertical which would screw us and maybe even NNE too. Its marginal as it is for us, we'll need all the help we can get.

amen.

Archived