Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, just saw the 12z euro op run in full, what an unmitigated disaster.

i mentioned a while back that NNE may be hardpressed to see any real snow of value in the first 10-15 days of december....and well the euro puts the hammer down.....but we'll see what happens moving forward.

sure there may be a gradient but its been hanging out over central ontario and cannot push further S E it seems, all fall and it just doesnt look to be budging..... even though the cold backed off in SNE several days ago, it is now backing off all the way back through huron by the day creeping westwards.

does someone have the link to the indices data from the past....you know that white page that just has bunch of numbers on it that give you the mean indice for each month?

my feeling is that yeah, there is a +NAO but right now its too positive even for here to even get cold air establsihed (ie Step 1) and beat down the SE ridge, and in its current state....just total garbage.

Hard to remember a year when santa anas were blowing when we did not get some decent winter weather within a week

Another round of strong winds was expected Thursday afternoon, producing gusts of 60 to 80 mph, according to the National Weather Service. The peak gust was 97 mph, reported at Whitaker Peak on Wednesday night. On Thursday morning, the highest recorded gusts were also at Whitaker Peak at 61 mph.

Pasadena, Sierra Madre and other foothill communities of the San Gabriel Valley were the hardest hit by windstorm.

You can't remember now ? :unsure:

i mentioned a while back that NNE may be hardpressed to see any real snow of value in the first 10-15 days of december....and well the euro puts the hammer down.....but we'll see what happens moving forward.

sure there may be a gradient but its been hanging out over central ontario and cannot push further S E it seems, all fall and it just doesnt look to be budging..... even though the cold backed off in SNE several days ago, it is now backing off all the way back through huron by the day creeping westwards.

does someone have the link to the indices data from the past....you know that white page that just has bunch of numbers on it that give you the mean indice for each month?

my feeling is that yeah, there is a +NAO but right now its too positive even for here to even get cold air establsihed (ie Step 1) and beat down the SE ridge, and in its current state....just total garbage.

If that upsets you do not look at the Euro ENS, yikes

Do you mean this?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

The funniest thing right now is how bad the 10 day NAO ensemble forecasts were, for example we verified around +1.6, the Day 10 forecast was around -0.1

It's hard to see that tremendous cold air pouring into most of Canada and then realize that apparently very little of it ever reaches us. I think it would easier to take if the Pacific was just overwhelming everything and we weren't teased at all.

I hope that system out west gets crunched in the confluent flow as it heads east...that would mean less SE ridging getting pumped up and obviously more cold for us....and a SWFE that would probably be snow.

I like the cold in Canada a lot this run but we are in danger of a lakes cutter if there is too much phasing out west. I'd like to see some flattening of the heights in SE Canada on future runs. That 1045+ high though to our north is a good sign...it probably was underplaying the cold that thing would deliver.

I agree. That's some serious cold. It's on the move and looking for trouble. Perhaps a cutter will be the price we have to pay to shuffle the deck. Though I could see an air mass like that crushing the SE ridge a bit while at the same time pumping up heights out west.lol Just sayin'.

Weeklies are in. Looks like the week preceding Christmas is warmest according to them. I don't really see anything God awful in them, but It's not a very wintry pattern either. They cool down a little bit in the last week.

They looks weird...almost like in week 2 it wants to have a SE Canada vortex or something....because New England is slightly below avg temps Dec 13-19 but nobody else is in the eastern half of US.

Weeklies are in. Looks like the week preceding Christmas is warmest according to them. I don't really see anything God awful in them, but It's not a very wintry pattern either. They cool down a little bit in the last week.

Does it resemble, Dec 07 and 93?

The pattern over the next few weeks will likely be gradient IMO with a uncertain Pacific and no blocking.

They looks weird...almost like in week 2 it wants to have a SE Canada vortex or something....because New England is slightly below avg temps Dec 13-19 but nobody else is in the eastern half of US.

Yeah don't know.....it's tough to tell with a weekly average, what it going on day to day. I don't really see why they would do that, other than the last 2 frames of the ensembles showing feeble troughing, but not like that.

So roughly 3 weeks above and the last week cools off a smidge...with a few cold shots mixed in?

For Big Steve Ginx...Big Joe Bastardi tweeted

"Get used to it though, thats the type of la nina winter we can have this year..troughs dropping south down the coast"

So roughly 3 weeks above and the last week cools off a smidge...with a few cold shots mixed in?

Well verbatim yeah, but if we're going to have overrunning events....850 temps wil be above normal...even with all snow. Basically imo, it sort of continues the status quo. I don't see any big changes, other than the week 2 weird phenomenon.

There does seem to be some movement of the AO starting in a couple of weeks.

There's going to be a ton of cold air in our side of the NHEM. That differentiates this year from 2001-02. Hopefully, the AO/NAO/SE ridge/PNA/EPO can all start working in tandem. The SE ridge response is entirely secondary to no NAO as in nothing to stop it. Can you imagine how hot last winter would have been without the NAO?

There's going to be a ton of cold air in our side of the NHEM. That differentiates this year from 2001-02. Hopefully, the AO/NAO/SE ridge/PNA/EPO can all start working in tandem. The SE ridge response is entirely secondary to no NAO as in nothing to stop it. Can you imagine how hot last winter would have been without the NAO?

As hot as you tonight when Momma gives you your 65th birthday present in her see through Teddy?

Archived