Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still raining with a inch thru the gauge. I am up to almost 6" of rain for the month (about 40 for the year) without a doubt the most precip. in Dec. since I have lived here.

You've beat me on the month, but I have you on the year ha-ha. Wonder why so low on the year? I'm guessing Summer storms evaded you locally?

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the link!

No problem! Enjoy the nice weather tomorrow.....maybe my doggie's pen will dry out some...looked out while ago, and she was doing the swan dive off of the gazebo :lmao: Waiting on the cold front to pass by myself....really wanting that cooler drier weather.....even if it only last for a day or so.

When those storms rolled by tonite, we had some trees down in the NE part of my county....GOOD RIDDANCE!

Michelle...I got a total of 1.75. About an inch and a quarter today. It's a pretty good feeling, and more coming, if the last doc. is any indication. Hope it stays together for you!! A great Christmas present here.

Kyle, I think it went between us. I know the rotation seemed to wane between Brooks and here. It looked to be going just north, before it went poof. Tony

If some of us can hang onto the low 60's for couple more hours there are going to be a whole slew of record high minimums set. Is the cut off 12 AM or 1AM? I read something about going by EDT or EST and using that exclusively.

Temp has dropped from 63 to 56 here in the last hour, so it looks like most areas should have a low in the 50's today.

Temp has dropped from 63 to 56 here in the last hour, so it looks like most areas should have a low in the 50's today.

You are forgetting about all of SC and parts of NC. Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte, Athens, Augusta all should be close to their record high minimums they are farther east than you and I. Atlanta will be close but I think they may just drop down into the 50's. KATL's record is 58 or 59 I think, so they may still make it.

You are forgetting about all of SC and parts of NC. Columbia, Greenville, Charlotte, Athens, Augusta all should be close to their record high minimums they are farther east than you and I. Atlanta will be close but I think they may just drop down into the 50's. KATL's record is 58 or 59 I think, so they may still make it.

Close, but no cigar. It's down to 56 now since the cold front moved through.

Record high of 82F in Savannah!This is only one away from the alltime record high for Dec., 83F! I'm eating ice cream now in celebration. It was a great day for the beach although the water is freezing (~59F..brrrrr compared to the typical mid to late summer mid 80's).

Didn't quite get the two inches I needed to break 70. I'm at 69.71 inches. If the GFS gets its rainfall amounts between now and new years exactly correct, I will wind up with 70.00 inches exactly. That would be a crazy way to end a weather year that has frankly been totally insane here.

Larry, my friend, in order to save you from yourself, I have devised a project for you. To keep your brain pan greased...to keep that ice cream and sea breeze soaked sand from scratching your winter climo mechanism. Can you tell me what, if any, correlation exists between a cold Christmas day, or a warm Christmas day, and a major, within, say 30 days, if that gets us into a clustering....which I think if does.

It is my contention that a warm Christmas day will result in more majors within the first 3 weeks of Jan. than a cold Christmas day. The reason being that a warm day is possibly evidence of a wetter pattern, and I contend that that would be more important a factor, as cold in Jan. is sort of a given, but rain can be elusive :)

A puzzle for you, my number crunching, fine sir! Thanks, if you decide to take this mission, and the zoftig fraulein awaits with interest, as do we all...well, some of us anyway, lol. Tony

I picture him sitting on the beach, with melted ice cream all over him... just staring at the ocean. :sun:

Lol, you make is sound so good, I might have to head out to the ocean soon myself. I've never seen snow at the beach. I'd love to stay at Edisto when a big blast of snow comes in. I figure the blizzard out at the beach was beyond amazing!

Meanwhile, I hope the doc continues what Goofy is showing, which is great for down here. I bet the last 3 days has done me more good than the whole of the summer and fall together, just in impact to the ground, lol. And seeing the systems drop their moisture around here for a change is nice. Hope Columbia is getting hit too. They're worse off than here, I think. T

Larry, my friend, in order to save you from yourself, I have devised a project for you. To keep your brain pan greased...to keep that ice cream and sea breeze soaked sand from scratching your winter climo mechanism. Can you tell me what, if any, correlation exists between a cold Christmas day, or a warm Christmas day, and a major, within, say 30 days, if that gets us into a clustering....which I think if does.

It is my contention that a warm Christmas day will result in more majors within the first 3 weeks of Jan. than a cold Christmas day. The reason being that a warm day is possibly evidence of a wetter pattern, and I contend that that would be more important a factor, as cold in Jan. is sort of a given, but rain can be elusive :)

A puzzle for you, my number crunching, fine sir! Thanks, if you decide to take this mission, and the zoftig fraulein awaits with interest, as do we all...well, some of us anyway, lol. Tony

Tony,

I looked at KATL Xmas's 1930-2010. I counted an avg. of 54+ as warm and 34- as cold.

Warm: 1932, 33, 34, 44, 55, 64, 82, 87, and 08 (9 years)

Cold: 30, 35, 43, 48, 61, 62, 66, 69, 76, 80, 83, 85, 89, 90, 95, 99, and 04 (17 years)

Major S/IP rest of winter: 4 of 9 warm (though only one before 1/24) but only 2 of 17 cold (one before 1/24)

Major ZR rest of winter: 0 of 9 warm; 7 of 17 cold resulting in a whopping 9 major ZR's over 17! A respectable 6 of the 9 prior to 1/24.

Summary:

1) Some suggestion of increased threat of major S/IP later in winter after warm Xmas but not so much prior to 1/24.

2) Some suggestion of increased threat of major ZR later in winter after cold Xmas, especially prior to 1/24.

Tony,

I looked at KATL Xmas's 1930-2010. I counted an avg. of 54+ as warm and 34- as cold.

Warm: 1932, 33, 34, 44, 55, 64, 82, 87, and 08 (9 years)

Cold: 30, 35, 43, 48, 61, 62, 66, 69, 76, 80, 83, 85, 89, 90, 95, 99, and 04 (17 years)

Major S/IP rest of winter: 4 of 9 warm (though only one before 1/24) but only 2 of 17 cold (one before 1/24)

Major ZR rest of winter: 0 of 9 warm; 7 of 17 cold resulting in a whopping 9 major ZR's over 17! A respectable 6 of the 9 prior to 1/24.

Summary:

1) Some suggestion of increased threat of major S/IP later in winter after warm Xmas but not so much prior to 1/24.

2) Some suggestion of increased threat of major ZR later in winter after cold Xmas, especially prior to 1/24.

Wow, you are amazing :) Many thanks for this. I thought it would illuminate a truth for me, but my brain is twisted in knots instead. I'll have to cogitate on this. Looks like the warm would suggest a pattern change in Jan resulting in better chances for snow later, and colder suggests a pattern already established leading to over running pretty soon.

You are, indeed, the man!!! Tony

You've beat me on the month, but I have you on the year ha-ha. Wonder why so low on the year? I'm guessing Summer storms evaded you locally?

Robert,they call the Weaverville area "Dry Ridge". We normally avg. anywhere from 2-6" less than the airport in annual. This Dec. things have just let loose up here though. Glad to see you have put a small dent in your drought. Now wiggle your nose or something and get us some cold & snow in here soon! :snowing:;)

Archived