ABOVE 600 J/KG...TO CREATE A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH

00Z. WITH PLENTY OF MOISTURE AVAILABLE IN THIS WARM AIRMASS...THE

BEST AREA FOR THUNDERSTORMS IS IN THE WEST CENTRAL GEORGIA AREA WITH

THE BEST THREAT FOR STRONGER TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS STAYING TO THE WEST

OF THE CWA IN ALABAMA.

TONIGHT...EXPECT RAIN TO CONTINUE ACROSS THE CWA. NAM SHOWS

RESPECTABLE MUCAPE VALUES ACROSS CENTRAL GEORGIA. CONCERN WOULD BE

CONVECTION CONTINUING AFTER NIGHTFALL WITH ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAIN AND

SOME THUNDERSTORMS. 0-1KM BULK SHEAR IS BELOW OPTIMAL RANGE...

STRUGGLING TO REACH 30KTS...BUT IT IS STILL WORTH KEEPING HIGHER

POPS THAN GUIDANCE IN CENTRAL GEORGIA AND IN MOST OF NORTH GEORGIA

AS WELL INCLUDING METRO ATLANTA. MINIMUM TEMPERATURES TONIGHT ARE

WELL ABOVE SEASONAL NORMALS AND CLOSING IN ON RECORD HIGH MINIMUM

TEMPERATURES. SIDED WITH BIAS ADJUSTED TEMPERATURES THAT ARE

SLIGHTLY ABOVE A BLEND OF MODEL GUIDANCE.

THURSDAY...INSTABILITY AND SHEAR RETURN OVER PARTS OF NORTH AND

CENTRAL GEORGIA IN THE AFTERNOON. THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE...SO A

SLIGHT CHANCE HAS BEEN INCLUDED IN THE FORECAST. MODELS FAVOR

NORTHWEST GEORGIA IN THE AFTERNOON...WITH THE NAM FAVORING BETTER

CONDITIONS FOR THUNDER ACROSS THE CWA. UNSEASONABLE WARMTH CONTINUES

AS WE NEAR RECORD HIGH MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE CWA...ONCE

AGAIN SIDING WITH A BIAS ADJUSTMENT THAT IS SLIGHTLY WARMER THAN A

BLEND OF MODEL GUIDANCE.

THURSDAY NIGHT...MUCAPE STAYS RESPECTABLE EVEN AFTER NIGHTFALL. MAIN

FOCUS OF THREAT IS FROM METRO ATLANTA NORTH. CONTINUED CONCERN FOR

ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAIN IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA FROM THIS CONVECTION

THROUGH 06Z. MINIMIZED THREAT MOVES SOUTH INTO CENTRAL GEORGIA BY

12Z. SIDING WITH A BIAS ADJUSTMENT OF GUIDANCE...WITH SOME COOLER

TEMPS MOVING INTO THE CWA.

FRIDAY...AS THE SHORTWAVE MOVES OFF WITH ITS MOISTURE UP THE EASTERN

SEABOARD...A DRIER AND COOLER AIRMASS INVADES FOR A DAY.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

/ISSUED 403 AM EST WED DEC 21 2011/

LOW CONFIDENCE REMAINS FOR TIMING OF INDIVIDUAL SHORT WAVES DURING

THE LONG TERM. COMPLICATED SPLIT FLOW PATTERN SHOWS AT LEAST TWO

OR THREE MORE IMPULSES FORECAST TO AFFECT THE SOUTHEAST INTO

MONDAY. HAVE LEFT POPS IN FOR EACH PERIOD THROUGH THAT TIME. FOR

NOW...LOOKS LIKE SOME AGREEMENT THAT THINGS WILL BE DRY BY

TUESDAY.

&&

.HYDROLOGY...

A SURFACE BOUNDARY IS FORECAST BY SEVERAL MODELS TO STALL IN THE

VICINITY OF CENTRAL GEORGIA THURSDAY MORNING. MODELS AND HPC

INDICATING ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN POSSIBLE FROM THIS EVENT OVER

NORTHWEST GEORGIA. HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK/ESFFFC ISSUED TO EXPLAIN

NORTHWEST GEORGIA SITUATION...NOT EXPECTING NEED TO REISSUE

ESFFFC.

CENTRAL GEORGIA FORECAST TO SEE AROUND TWO INCHES OF RAIN...BUT

THIS DROUGHT-STRICKEN AREA IS MORE THAN CAPABLE OF HANDLING THESE

RAINFALL AMOUNTS SPREAD ACROSS THE FORECAST TIME PERIOD. DO NOT

BELIEVE IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO ISSUE ANY FURTHER PRODUCTS AT THIS TIME.

&&

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't remember which year but I think early 80's It was sunny and high during Christmas day was 1 degree. But this is a different year, Can't wait to get my Christmas decorations out of the yard so I can MOW!!! Yep it needs mowing. First half of next month probably want be able to keep up the mowing. lol :P

wow your grass is growing too? Guess I am not the only one :whistle:

You had a high temp of 1 degree? You sure bout that? <_< My grass isn't really growing, I cut it a few weeks ago very short to the ground. I do see wild onions pretty tall now. And the mulch beds are a mess with weeds thanks to all the rain and warmth. Still, we'll get a cold period sometime in Jan and Feb...we always do. The ECMWF doesn't look nearly as warm as GFS does right now (but GFS might be right on the major warmth).

I'm not an offical reporting station, But I do know it's was 1 degee that Christmas day!!!

;)

KCLT could be at 49 for the average temperature on the month by Friday. That's one degree short of being on the top 5 warmest list.

Think I remember you saying earlier that it would take a miracle for it not to make the top 5 warmest Decembers on record. That was a pretty bold statement and it is looking less likely as each day passes.

I don't think I reached the .10 mark and the green on the radar is vanishing as it heads this way :(

Same here, just under a tenth :( Still some precip coming in from the south but looks miss as the heading is more east than north. Did have a chance to fire up the grill tonight, dodged a couple showers, otherwise nice weather for the barbie considering mid-Dec.

I don't think I reached the .10 mark and the green on the radar is vanishing as it heads this way :(

If the 0z Nam is right you're area will see very little rain out of this next event. It shows the rain from I-85 and on to the northwest from there. We got less than a half inch today and now are not looking for much out of this next event after thinking I'd see an inch or more. That ridge in the bahamas is just too strong right now.

Tried to post this in the LR, but it's locked up. Since it appears we will be sarting January off warm and for who knows how long I started digging. The 6th warmest January on record for the US as of January 2000, was you guessed it Jan 2000. I'm sure alot of you in central NC remember Jan 2000. The second half of the month was without a doubt the best 1-2 week period of winter weather I have expierenced. If memory serves me correct we had 4 sepearte events within this time span and of course one of them was the "Carolina Crusher." Whats weird is how dry it was for the month back then overall nationaly and Globaly. We had big time cold bottled up over the poles and torch going on underneath, much like today. The month started off with ridge in the central/east U.S v/s Troughiness in the west. Then mid month they flipped. Anyway heres the link with the summary. Not sure if we where heading in or out of La-Nina that year, but it goes to show regardles of how stacked the pattern is in our favor or against us, the unexpected is always possible in our winter climo.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/2000/1

Tried to post this in the LR, but it's locked up. Since it appears we will be sarting January off warm and for who knows how long I started digging. The 6th warmest January on record for the US as of January 2000, was you guessed it Jan 2000. I'm sure alot of you in central NC remember Jan 2000. The second half of the month was without a doubt the best 1-2 week period of winter weather I have expierenced. If memory serves me correct we had 4 sepearte events within this time span and of course one of them was the "Carolina Crusher." Whats weird is how dry it was for the month back then overall nationaly and Globaly. We had big time cold bottled up over the poles and torch going on underneath, much like today. The month started off with ridge in the central/east U.S v/s Troughiness in the west. Then mid month they flipped. Anyway heres the link with the summary. Not sure if we where heading in or out of La-Nina that year, but it goes to show regardles of how stacked the pattern is in our favor or against us, the unexpected is always possible in our winter climo.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/2000/1

Some of the Jan 2000 events missed me here in SC but we definetly were hit by the crusher down here. Had 12 inches of wet snow that came on top of about .50 -.75 of ice. Needless to say we lost power down here. It was out for 4 days. Many trees and tree limbs down all over the place from that. We had 1 small event after thew crusher and then winter was over for the most part that year.

Happy Winter! Picked up .10" yesterday. Models sure have cut back on precip amounts for this part of NC over the next week. HPC 12/22 12z 5 day shows .5" +/- ...GFS 00z and 6z only .3" +/- over the next 7 days. Looks like I'll be finishing up the year about 9" below normal unless something changes and I catch a rain train.

Archived