Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

been under the rain train all morning here. The radar shows it constantly redeveloping over the upstate of SC and coming right over this area. Strange to see Atlanta to Athens keep avoiding it though. There even looks like thunderstorms in eastern Alabama.

That line looks like it's headed our way very soon, it even looks like it's pulsed up some within the past hour.

Real breezy outside here, not raining at all. Working in shop wiring a snow plow and salt spreader on a truck we just bought. It will be ready for next winter!!! We may use it to push water out of the streets from the rain!!

LOL about pushing the water out of the streets, last year I missed out on the Christmas snow cause it stayed 33 degrees and had rain while 15 miles away it snowed so again this year I will be throwing mud balls with qwik-crete mixed in with 60 degree temps all while dressed in shorts and sandals playing Elvis's Blue Christmas....

Pollen all over the windshield and few azaleas starting to bloom - about 8 weeks or so early. :axe:

My yellowbell is blooming :o My azaleas are mixed up this year too! Many of them didn't even bloom this spring....And as far as the water situation goes, I rode by West Point Lake earlier today....man does it look bad! We really need all this rain, but my poor doggie :flood: Her pen will be mush.

Painful to talk about severe weather 2 days before Christmas. We should be snow watching.

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1044 AM CST WED DEC 21 2011

VALID 221200Z - 231200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER PORTIONS OF LA/MS/AL...

CURRENT WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A WELL-DEFINED SHORTWAVE TROUGH

OVER NORTHWEST MEXICO. THIS FEATURE WILL TRACK EAST-NORTHEASTWARD

ACROSS SOUTH TX TONIGHT AND INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY ON THURSDAY. A

SURFACE BOUNDARY IS CURRENTLY STALLED JUST OFF THE LA/MS COAST...AND

SHOULD RAPIDLY RETURN NORTHWARD TONIGHT AS SOUTHERLY LOW LEVEL WINDS

STRENGTHEN AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING THROUGH. BY 22/12Z...THE

BOUNDARY IS EXPECTED TO EXTEND FROM SOUTHERN LA INTO CENTRAL MS AND

NORTHERN AL. SURFACE DEWPOINTS IN THE MID 60S WILL ALSO RETURN

NORTHWARD INTO LA/MS/AL LEADING TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF AT LEAST

MARGINAL SURFACE-BASED INSTABILITY ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE FRONT.

MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT THAT SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS

WILL BE OCCURRING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FORECAST PERIOD OVER

LA/MS. THE DEEPENING LOW WILL TRACK INTO NORTHERN AL BY AFTERNOON.

DESPITE ONLY MARGINAL CAPE...BACKING AND STRENGTHENING LOW LEVEL

WIND FIELDS COUPLED WITH STRONG LARGE SCALE FORCING FOR

ASCENT...WILL PROMOTE A RISK OF STRONG TO LOCALLY SEVERE STORMS.

SUPERCELLS APPEAR TO BE THE MOST LIKELY STORM-MODE WITH DAMAGING

WINDS AND ISOLATED TORNADOES POSSIBLE. LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND

INSTABILITY WILL WEAKEN WITH NORTHEASTWARD EXTENT INTO TN/GA WITH

DIMINISHING SEVERE WEATHER THREATS.

..HART.. 12/21/2011

post-1314-0-44655700-1324490231.gif

Painful to talk about severe weather 2 days before Christmas. We should be snow watching.

Yeah, I was just reading the same thing....it's amazing, I know it has, but it feels like it hasn't even been below freezing this season so far. I'm still in short sleeves. Oh well, perhaps the latter part of winter will bring us some good news, but hey, maybe a little excitement tomorrow in the interim. :lightning:

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1044 AM CST WED DEC 21 2011

VALID 221200Z - 231200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS OVER PORTIONS OF LA/MS/AL...

CURRENT WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A WELL-DEFINED SHORTWAVE TROUGH

OVER NORTHWEST MEXICO. THIS FEATURE WILL TRACK EAST-NORTHEASTWARD

ACROSS SOUTH TX TONIGHT AND INTO THE LOWER MS VALLEY ON THURSDAY. A

SURFACE BOUNDARY IS CURRENTLY STALLED JUST OFF THE LA/MS COAST...AND

SHOULD RAPIDLY RETURN NORTHWARD TONIGHT AS SOUTHERLY LOW LEVEL WINDS

STRENGTHEN AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING THROUGH. BY 22/12Z...THE

BOUNDARY IS EXPECTED TO EXTEND FROM SOUTHERN LA INTO CENTRAL MS AND

NORTHERN AL. SURFACE DEWPOINTS IN THE MID 60S WILL ALSO RETURN

NORTHWARD INTO LA/MS/AL LEADING TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF AT LEAST

MARGINAL SURFACE-BASED INSTABILITY ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE FRONT.

MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT THAT SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS

WILL BE OCCURRING AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FORECAST PERIOD OVER

LA/MS. THE DEEPENING LOW WILL TRACK INTO NORTHERN AL BY AFTERNOON.

DESPITE ONLY MARGINAL CAPE...BACKING AND STRENGTHENING LOW LEVEL

WIND FIELDS COUPLED WITH STRONG LARGE SCALE FORCING FOR

ASCENT...WILL PROMOTE A RISK OF STRONG TO LOCALLY SEVERE STORMS.

SUPERCELLS APPEAR TO BE THE MOST LIKELY STORM-MODE WITH DAMAGING

WINDS AND ISOLATED TORNADOES POSSIBLE. LOW LEVEL MOISTURE AND

INSTABILITY WILL WEAKEN WITH NORTHEASTWARD EXTENT INTO TN/GA WITH

DIMINISHING SEVERE WEATHER THREATS.

..HART.. 12/21/2011

Unfortunately, this is the last place on Earth that needs to see more severe weather this year.

I've been experiencing some impressive rainfall; twice now that it has dumped bucketfuls here. The ditch is, once again, looking like a mini-river with all the run-off. Only up to 59 now and 1.09" so far with more on the way it seems looking down toward Atlanta. Shaping up to be quite a wet day as we press through the afternoon. This seems to remind me of Dec. 2009 where we had plenty of rain events to track, though the one for Christmas was quite a rain producer giving me around 2.50" that day.

KATL is going to be close to a record high tomorrow. They could easily break it imo. Today KATL is about +20 above normal for the date. December is turning out to be a torch for some areas of the southeast. The clouds and rainy days are not going to save many of us from very high monthly temperature anomalies. There is something wrong with record highs and thunderstorms during Christmas week.

KATL is going to be close to a record high tomorrow. They could easily break it imo. Today KATL is about +20 above normal for the date. December is turning out to be a torch for some areas of the southeast. The clouds and rainy days are not going to save many of us from very high monthly temperature anomalies. There is something wrong with record highs and thunderstorms during Christmas week.

I heard some thunder outside not long ago here in Sandy Springs. Can't believe how warm the lows have been this month. That has really added to the crazy departures.

LOL. Don't forget frosty says we will be mowing lawns in January. I think the ground will be too muddy to mow. I've got a swamp going on. Still moderate to occasionally heavy rain.

he is probably right based on the warm up first part of January. We mowed grass yesterday and have others we could mow now. Way to warm, and we start fertilizing in 3 weeks so we could be mowing after all :cry:

he is probably right based on the warm up first part of January. We mowed grass yesterday and have others we could mow now. Way to warm, and we start fertilizing in 3 weeks so we could be mowing after all :cry:

I have a hard time believing the grass is growing enough to mow way up there in NC. I have never mowed my grass before the end of March and this year will be no exception.

I have a hard time believing the grass is growing enough to mow way up there in NC. I have never mowed my grass before the end of March and this year will be no exception.

well believe it buddy. I am in the landscaping business and we mowed yards yesterday that were 6 inches tall. Now we are mowing them bi-weekly this time of year not every week. If you fertilize fescue it will grow even in the winter if temps are in the 60's. My personal yard is mint green and could be cut now.

There is something wrong with record highs and thunderstorms during Christmas week.

Honestly I remember the bulk of my Christmases as being wet, warm or foggy. The other standout Christmases would be the cold ones (think twice in the mid 80s) and of course last year's snow. Just 2 years ago was the heaviest rain I've ever recorded in about 6 hours (outside of convection) Had just over 3".

Honestly I remember the bulk of my Christmases as being wet, warm or foggy. The other standout Christmases would be the cold ones (think twice in the mid 80s) and of course last year's snow. Just 2 years ago was the heaviest rain I've ever recorded in about 6 hours (outside of convection) Had just over 3".

Can't remember which year but I think early 80's It was sunny and high during Christmas day was 1 degree. But this is a different year, Can't wait to get my Christmas decorations out of the yard so I can MOW!!! Yep it needs mowing. First half of next month probably want be able to keep up the mowing. lol :P

I hear ya Robert, I remember some pretty mild Christmases past. It's always a bummer to see it though right before Christmas being warm. The temperatures make it more difficult to get into the Christmas spirit also wearing shorts and polo shirts doesn't help.

Can't remember which year but I think early 80's It was sunny and high during Christmas day was 1 degree. But this is a different year, Can't wait to get my Christmas decorations out of the yard so I can MOW!!! Yep it needs mowing. First half of next month probably want be able to keep up the mowing. lol :P

You had a high temp of 1 degree? You sure bout that? <_< My grass isn't really growing, I cut it a few weeks ago very short to the ground. I do see wild onions pretty tall now. And the mulch beds are a mess with weeds thanks to all the rain and warmth. Still, we'll get a cold period sometime in Jan and Feb...we always do. The ECMWF doesn't look nearly as warm as GFS does right now (but GFS might be right on the major warmth).

Archived