Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accuweather (Bill Deger) says close, but no cigar for us in the SE

"A weak storm zooming across the Carolinas could bring a few snowflakes to the lower mid-Atlantic later today or tonight.

Although rain appears that it will be the predominant type of precipitation, as temperatures drop after dark,

areas from the central Appalachians east through central and southern Virginia and into the Delmarva could

see a few wet snowflakes mix in with the snow before the storm pushes offshore."

Yesterday must have been a record at 76 degrees. Last year on December 15th was the coldest I've seen here in three years, 5 degrees.

You hit 76? CLT and GSP both were 68 for highs.

Another inch of rain fell today. Only 2 more to go until we hit 70. The annual record is 74 from 1994. It will take some doing to beat that at this point. The bizarre thing is that August of this year was the driest month ever recorded at Chattanooga, with only a trace of precip.

Are you going by CHA readings? I just checked their climo report and as of this morning shows 61.19" for the year. That's still atleast 10" above normal, I think you could end up with about 2 to possibly 3" more to go.

Another inch of rain fell today. Only 2 more to go until we hit 70. The annual record is 74 from 1994. It will take some doing to beat that at this point. The bizarre thing is that August of this year was the driest month ever recorded at Chattanooga, with only a trace of precip.

Don't mind if we tap into the Tennessee River do you? We are parched down here.

61/50 with drizzle. Had a good view all afternoon of the dark skies off to the N and W, but we stayed fairly pleasant with highs in the mid-60's under partly to mostly cloudy skies. Kinston is at 70 currently, odd, 9 temp difference within about 25 miles. Emporia VA is sitting at 52, so the cooler air is close. Forecasted low tonight of 42 with a 100% chance of RN. Unsure how much we will get, GFS has been waffling between 1/4-1/2", and the heaviest axis looks to be well north into southern VA, so maybe an under-performer.

I agree, WeatherNC ---- looks like we're going to be hard pressed to get the still forecast tenth to quarter inch over this way. The best slug of precip has remained N & W of here, but falls in line with their earlier comments of N of Hwy 64 for best chances. We've had a couple spits of light drizzle/rain - maybe .03" so far, judging by the very reliable dip in the road that shows standing water after .02" has fallen and drained in to the depression. When I see water in that dip, I know we've had just a tad more than a trace and I need to check the gauge in the morning. Accuracy at it's best! :)

I agree, WeatherNC ---- looks like we're going to be hard pressed to get the still forecast tenth to quarter inch over this way. The best slug of precip has remained N & W of here, but falls in line with their earlier comments of N of Hwy 64 for best chances. We've had a couple spits of light drizzle/rain - maybe .03" so far, judging by the very reliable dip in the road that shows standing water after .02" has fallen and drained in to the depression. When I see water in that dip, I know we've had just a tad more than a trace and I need to check the gauge in the morning. Accuracy at it's best! :)

We got the shaft here, appears to be along and south of a line from Dunn to Greenville that missed out on appreciable qpf. Maybe a hundredth or two, off and on light drizzle, deck is wet, but that is about it. Looking at radar, I don't see us getting much more, areas along the boarder look to have done ok. Fine by me though, water levels in the swamp outback are higher compared to this time last year, too bad we can't get a week or so of hard freezes to ice it up, which happened last Dec.

Sent from my iPhone

Are you going by CHA readings? I just checked their climo report and as of this morning shows 61.19" for the year. That's still atleast 10" above normal, I think you could end up with about 2 to possibly 3" more to go.

Nope. That is from my gauge in the backyard. I got a good bit more than the airport during Lee. It's not a top of the line gauge, but usually seems accurate based on radar. It's part of an Oregon scientific kit.

edit: just remembered I also had a training thunderstorm park over me at the end of September that gave me 3.15 inches. KCHA got nothing from that.

No rain here tonight. There was a trace but nothing I could measure.

This one was big on the south side. I had a nice band of rain come by and it stayed a pretty good while. The unraked leaves were all glistening wet, and I expect some of it actually got on the ground! I measured a solid .1 in the stingy gauge, but I haven't checked the generous guage yet :)

It was actually .06 more than I had hoped for, lol. T

Wolk up to a very light dusting this morning. So light, I thought it was frost at first. Never got above 35.7 today so hope the slopes were blowing. Already in the 20's, so looks to be a cold night.

Does frost/snow actually count? Already 44 here, so you ought to get down right winter like up there! T

It's 37 right now, which is 3 degrees lower than last night's low. I got .75 inches of rain in the last event. After the rain stopped last night about sundown, I made this photo of the mountains just to my north. The clouds and fog were so cool to watch. They don't call them The Smokies for nothing!

post-1004-0-12453100-1324168484.jpg

Now down to 28, and looking at the couple streetlights in the neighborhood, and the occasional passing car headlights, it seems like we have a light freezing fog forming. It appears that it will be rather white looking in the morning with a good dose of ground frost. We'll see.

Archived